A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Reading GRRM's "Fevre Dream" vampire novel, about halfway through

It was a decent little tale, but then unexpectedly a little past the 1/3rd mark there is a chapter that completely switches gears and just lays out the mythology before switching back to the tale....this chapter was :wow:

What this chapter did was it served to remind me just how thirsty I am for more ASOIAF mythology. The adventures of Jon, Dany, and Tyrion are such a small part of my interest in the series. I don't really give as much of a fukk who lives or dies, who sits on the Iron Throne, who redeems themself and who destroys those around them. I want to know what happened at the Tower of Joy. I want to know why The Others came thousands of years ago and why they are returning. I want to know who truly was responsible for starting Robert's Rebellion. I want to know whether the Faceless Men caused the Doom of Valyria and why there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

Winds of Winter can no longer satisfy my thirst. I need a Dream of Spring :beli:

This "Fevre Dream" mythology chapter structure can definitely be used in ASOIAF.....Bran, Howland Reed, Varys, Marwyn, and Sam at the Citadel have the power.

Great book.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I dont think i can handle watching the stupidity of Arianne on tv brehs :beli: cersei already gets on my nerves enough in the upcoming season

but this bytch here be havin me legit
triple-h-angry.gif
at her actions

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
All right, so here are my updated thoughts for the plot-gutting that HBO is about to do to the rest of the series. Lots of character cuts and merges:

Victarion Greyjoy -- Almost undoubtedly cut. Daario stealing 93 ships was D&D's way of telling us early not to expect him. I don't see many problems with eliminating his character from a plot perspective, but from an entertainment perspective it is a shame. All he does is kill dudes and fukk bytches. He is the perfect character for this series. Time and budget is not on his side though:no:

Euron Greyjoy -- I don't see how they can cut his plot from the series. But they could have Yara become the queen of the Iron Islands and take his place. I still think he will be in the show though. 50% chance he gets cut.

Aeron Damphair -- Makes no sense to cut him, because the only thing you really need him for is the Kingsmoot so whats the point in cutting him? Cast him for one episode, have him support Yara's bid for the throne. 25% chance he gets cut

Arianne Martell -- Almost undoubtedly cut. This is the biggest cut in my opinion, because it has a major trickle down effect to Aegon Targaryen. Drastic rewrites or plot omissions are necessary. Also, much like Victarion, she is a made-for-HBO characters. All she does is fukk dudes and cause trouble.

Quentyn Martell -- Almost undoubtedly cut. Not a big deal. They will just need to find a new way to cause friction between Dorne and Daenerys. Trystane could even take his place and die by dragonfire in Season 6.

Aegon Targaryen -- I just don't see how they can cut this character, even if he dies in Winds of Winter. It creates a Grand Canyon sized plothole with Varys if Aegon is cut. In the books, Varys saves Daenerys from assassination. In the show, he does not. So if they re-write him as a Dany supporter, the plothole exists. They gotta keep Aegon, right? :blink:

Jon Connington -- If Aegon is cut then obviously Jon is cut, but if they keep Aegon I still think Jon may be cut since he doesn't seem important to the overall plot. Varys is on the boat with Tyrion, he can play Jon Connington's role.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
All right, so here are my updated thoughts for the plot-gutting that HBO is about to do to the rest of the series. Lots of character cuts and merges:

Victarion Greyjoy -- Almost undoubtedly cut. Daario stealing 93 ships was D&D's way of telling us early not to expect him. I don't see many problems with eliminating his character from a plot perspective, but from an entertainment perspective it is a shame. All he does is kill dudes and fukk bytches. He is the perfect character for this series. Time and budget is not on his side though:no:

Euron Greyjoy -- I don't see how they can cut his plot from the series. But they could have Yara become the queen of the Iron Islands and take his place. I still think he will be in the show though. 50% chance he gets cut.

Aeron Damphair -- Makes no sense to cut him, because the only thing you really need him for is the Kingsmoot so whats the point in cutting him? Cast him for one episode, have him support Yara's bid for the throne. 25% chance he gets cut

Arianne Martell -- Almost undoubtedly cut. This is the biggest cut in my opinion, because it has a major trickle down effect to Aegon Targaryen. Drastic rewrites or plot omissions are necessary. Also, much like Victarion, she is a made-for-HBO characters. All she does is fukk dudes and cause trouble.

Quentyn Martell -- Almost undoubtedly cut. Not a big deal. They will just need to find a new way to cause friction between Dorne and Daenerys. Trystane could even take his place and die by dragonfire in Season 6.

Aegon Targaryen -- I just don't see how they can cut this character, even if he dies in Winds of Winter. It creates a Grand Canyon sized plothole with Varys if Aegon is cut. In the books, Varys saves Daenerys from assassination. In the show, he does not. So if they re-write him as a Dany supporter, the plothole exists. They gotta keep Aegon, right? :blink:

Jon Connington -- If Aegon is cut then obviously Jon is cut, but if they keep Aegon I still think Jon may be cut since he doesn't seem important to the overall plot. Varys is on the boat with Tyrion, he can play Jon Connington's role.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...n-5-casting-cuts-are-good-omens-for-hbos-hit/

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
HBO can merge Arianne with the three Sand Snakes. The whole trying to convince Myrcella to be queen thing can be done with those three characters. They can tie elements of Arianne to them. It sucks how they're not including her individually, but it's whatever. They can work around it.

bytch ass Quentyn Martell can be merged with Trystane. After Myrcella's accident, Trystane wants to go after Dany instead and sets out for her.

As for Aegon/Little Griff, he needs to be in the story. I have no idea how they get away from that :dahell:

Euron needs to be in the show too.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

I agree with the author's sentiment about cutting the fluff being good for the show, but strongly disagree with his seeming dislike for the characters in the books. I doubt that the author has re-read AFFC/ADWD. Once you get past the strong urge to rush through the books to see what happens next to the "main" characters, these new "side" characters really come to life. In particular, I didn't care for all the Greyjoy shyt on my first read, but on re-read I am now a Victarion stan.

As far as Arianne goes @TheGreatShowtime she plays a bigger role than just the Myrcella shyt. Not sure if you have read the Winds of Winter chapters yet:

She is leaving to meet Aegon and will be making the call whether Dorne goes to war. Speculation assumes too that she is going to try and seduce Aegon for marriage