無敵
Supporter
Daps
ixategngxn2rxitn.jpg

Need him for Mance Rayder :youngsabo:

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Renly was charming and charismatic, no doubt, but that's where it ends. He has no notable achievements either as a warrior or as a politician. The only reason he got his huge army was because Loras was all lovey-dovey with him and because Mace Tyrell was a fat fool, as his own mother says. The Storm Lords went with Renly because of the Tyrell alliance, they saw which way the wind was blowing and hoped for an easy victory.

Throughout the series a pretty large and diverse number of characters were shown to think very little about him:
-Stannis ( but fine, let's say that's just scorn)
-Catelyn Stark called him and his whole crew the "knights of summer". She thought they were just children playing at war.
-Tywin and Tyrion were both more concerned about Stannis and his measly army than Renly and his 100 thousand + army. What does that tell you?
-Olenna Tyrell, a smart player if there ever was one, summed up Renly as
"He knew how to dress and he knew how to smile and he knew how to bathe, and somehow he got the notion that this made him fit to be king."
-Donal Noye (the NW smith who knew all the Baratheon brothers and forget Robert's warhammer) compared Renly to bronze: pretty and shiny, but pretty much useless.
- Even Maester Cressen(Melisandre's first body back in ACOK prologue), who loved him like a son, thought he was immature, a child playing at being king.
The bold little boy with wild black hair and laughing eyes was a man grown now, one-and-twenty, and still he played his games. Look at me, I’m a king, Cressen thought sadly. Oh, Renly, Renly, dear sweet child, do you know what you are doing? And would you care if you did? Is there anyone who cares for him but me?
-Even his knights (Rainbow Guard:russ: ), the only ones who were truly his were Loras and Brienne. The rest, as he said so himself "wanted things of him, castles or honors or riches".

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. Oberyn Martell. Even Cersei.:smugfavre:

Renly was weak. Instead of fighting he was moving at a snail pace, having feasts and tournaments. He thought he was being slick letting Robb and Tywin duke it out and spend their forces, but if he wasn't so stupid he could have easily won the throne. He should have marched his ass to King's Landing and he would have taken it easily(because Tywin would be busy with Robb and Tyrion wouldn't have had the time to do his chain+wildfire thing and strengthen the city). With Cersei and her kids dead the Lannister claim to the throne would be over. That left Tywin alone to face Starks/Tullys on one side and Baratheon/Tyrell on the other, not to mention the Dornishmen who were howling for his blood.

I don't buy that. Renly ain't no weak leader if he rallied so many important people to his cause. Even Randyll Tarly a Four Star Badass joined Renly's cause. Why would a guy like that follow someone considered to be weak?
Randyll Tarly followed Mace Tyrell, his liege lord, not Renly. To be honest I don't think he suffered either of them. There are a few hints that Tarly is a Targaryen supporter and is just bidding his time.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think Renly could have been a decent king, but would largely be a product of those he surrounded himself with. With a Hand like Randyll Tarly for instance, he could get some shyt done and Tarly would also be the perfect dude to have on your side against a major threat (Dany, "Aegon," whoever).

More likely, the Tyrells would control his kingship, resulting in weak rule and poor decisions.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I think Renly could have been a decent king, but would largely be a product of those he surrounded himself with. With a Hand like Randyll Tarly for instance, he could get some shyt done and Tarly would also be the perfect dude to have on your side against a major threat (Dany, "Aegon," whoever).

More likely, the Tyrells would control his kingship, resulting in weak rule and poor decisions.

Yeah if that happened, I bet the beef with Dorne would be a huge problem.

Read a few pages of a Feast of Crows. I was trying to figure out where they were going with this Pate nikka but then... Is the guy who killed him Jaqen?

NaiSim

HEAR ME ROAR!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
nj
Renly wasn't a friend to the King in the North.

The Greatjon says all there is to be said about Renly:

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Renly wasn't a friend to the King in the North.

The Greatjon says all there is to be said about Renly:

Game of Thrones - The King in the North - YouTube

If that alliance woulda went down we woulda been looking at the 2 kingdoms instead of the 7.

North and South. Not Stannis, not the Lannisters not anyone woulda stood a chance...but then again...RW prolly still woulda happened :ld:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
If that alliance woulda went down we woulda been looking at the 2 kingdoms instead of the 7.

North and South. Not Stannis, not the Lannisters not anyone woulda stood a chance...but then again...RW prolly still woulda happened :ld:
Well if the Lannisters get taken out by the joined forces then I don't see how the RW could happen. Tywin was the mastermind behind that whole shyt.

NaiSim

HEAR ME ROAR!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
nj

Yeah, but Renly wanted Robb to bow as a vassal, not have him as ally.