A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Look how much good that did them though.

Freys getting got left & right from straight up murders to Frey-pies.

Boltons are about to feel the wrath of the North and Stannis for taking "Arya".

Lannisters :laff:

Meanwhile:

Sansa learning the game of thrones from one of the masters, Arya learning how to be a goon from the masters, Rickon bout to be the toughest muthafukka on the planet after surviving Skaagos, Bran on some Obi-Wan Kenobi force-ghost sh!t travelling through space and time and that's not even mentioning the prince that was promised.

Oh yes, Winds of Winter indeed :stylin:

The arya shyt always has me like :shaq: cuz she's my favorite character hands down

but cot damn when i seen the shyt Bran was pulling off i was like :dwillhuh:

that lil nikka is a prollem

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
I may have read like the first few chapters then i was like :pacspit: that book is so damn uninteresting

I read the other three so im sure i can figure out the shyt i missed in the 4th book when i read ADWD :yeshrug:

:russ:

I think it's because there was so much going on in the 3rd book, and the 4th one starts off really slow. It also introduces boring ass character arcs (Theon's uncle) and doesn't even include all the piff from Tyrion or Jon etc.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
I really don't get the complaints about AFFC. The only chapters I found really boring were the Brienne and Sam ones, but even those were a chance for world building and history.

You can't tell me that Jaime and Cersei's chapters, Arya learning to be a FM, or the Ironborn chapters were boring.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
I really don't get the complaints about AFFC. The only chapters I found really boring were the Brienne and Sam ones, but even those were a chance for world building and history.

You can't tell me that Jaime and Cersei's chapters, Arya learning to be a FM, or the Ironborn chapters were boring.

problem im having is chapter length i think. In 1-3 i could power through a Bran chapter cuz the shyt was only 10 or so pages. AFFC chapter length :noah:

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
To be honest if it's the first time you read through it I get it. I felt sorta the same way. But on your second read, when you're not plowing through the chapters to find out what happens you can enjoy even the boring parts a lot more. You're also going to pick up on a lot of shyt you missed the first time.

I've always thought of the ASOIAF series is the book equivalent of The Wire. "All the pieces matter".

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Concerning Renly, it seems like instead of being full homo he was bisexual and it doesn't look like he was bytch made like he was made to look like in the show (scared of blood/fighting).

I'm too lazy to look for the bit in the book but wasn't Renly with Stannis when they were starvin' trying to hold the line till Davos came with his onions?

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
He wasn't bisexual, he was a full homo. It was pretty common knowledge at court. At one point he brags that Margery came to him a maid(lol) and Stannis says "in your bed she's like to die that way".:russ:

As for Storm's End, I don't think it was stated either way. I guess he was there. Where else would he be. The thing is he was a child, so I think him being fed would be a priority.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
As for the letter i think its one of two things: either Ramsay captured Mance Ryder and his spearwives and tortured the intel out of them or somehow Mance and co. overthrew Winterfell somehow and sent the later in order to provoke Jon to come south so the wildlings can gain the wall

Nah, no way Mance (who's supposed to be such a dangerous motherfukker) got caught.

Lol@Stannis being dead. No chance.

The way Mance whooped on Jon when Melisandre had had him disguised leads me to think he's alive as well. I think he's too good to be taken by Ramsey. I think a spearwife or two got caught and they spilled the beans but I think Mance got away. And all cause of that fukking broad Jeyne. I mean I guess Ramsey did fukk her head up but all she had to do was be quiet.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
He wasn't bisexual, he was a full homo. It was pretty common knowledge at court. At one point he brags that Margery came to him a maid(lol) and Stannis says "in your bed she's like to die that way".:russ:

As for Storm's End, I don't think it was stated either way. I guess he was there. Where else would he be. The thing is he was a child, so I think him being fed would be a priority.

My b, I thought he was in his teens or some shyt. He was 4 or 5 when the Storms End seige went down.

Renly was talking about how Stannis was about to chuck a dude from a catapult because he suggested yielding to the Tyrell's during the starvation

But some other dude talked Stannis down from doing that saying it would be a waste of meat when they ran out of rats :russ:

I think it was Renly demonstrating how was Stannis too hard body to quit, it just sounded like he was there when he said it and I assumed he was in the front lines with Stannis.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Jaime and Tyrion were travelling somewhere (forget where it was) when they came upon Tysha, she was fleeing some rapists - Jaime chased the rapists and, being Jaime, probably styled on them something serious.

Tyrion helped Tysha to a village and they got to know each other. They fell in love and married.

When Tywin found out about about this, he pulled Tyrion to the side - he explained to him that Jaime had set the whole Tysha thing up. That she was actually a hooker that Jaime paid for to please Tyrion. He then proceeds to have the entire squadron fukk Tysha and pay her silver for every man, in the end he makes Tyrion fukk her. They dissolve the marriage.

When Jaime frees Tyrion, he admits that Tysha wasn't a whore - it was all real, Tywin just didn't want some lowborn chick being involved in the Lannister heritage and thought this was a way of getting rid of her and 'teaching Tyrion a lesson'.

That's the betrayal - Jaime basically stood by as his father had his little brother's wife gangraped and then helped convince him she was just a hooker who did it all for the money.

:dwillhuh::to:

NaiSim

HEAR ME ROAR!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
nj
I may have read like the first few chapters then i was like that book is so damn uninteresting

I read the other three so im sure i can figure out the shyt i missed in the 4th book when i read ADWD

Man you kiddin me? When the Ironborn descended on the Reach I was like :ooh::gladbron::dwillhuh::obama::russ::umad::ohhh::ahh:

:thumbsup:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
I think the problem with AFfC is that it puts a giant halt on pretty much ALL of the major beefs.

ASoS is responsible for this this - it pretty much ended the Stark/Lannister beef. Killed off the Kings (Robb/Joffrey) and scattered the important characters all over the kingdom.

AFFC and ADWD are then tasked to keep us interested in whoever else is still playing the game of thrones AND where the previous characters end up.

They fare much better on re-reads than the first time around imo (still a dip in quality).

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
I know I got burnt out after reading the first 3. So I took a year long break and finished the last 2, last month. I enjoyed them a lot. Or maybe yall could read them chronologically (both affc/adwd together) if yall really want to know what happened to the big 3. There are some good chapter reading orders on the web...