A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
My reply to @T-K-G from the show thread showing how I would have kept Oberyn alive:

Tyrion's storyline could be slightly changed to his being exonerated through Oberyn winning the trial by combat but knowing that Cersei will have him killed anyway, Jamie and Varys set it up for Tyrion to secretly get out of King's landing without Cersei finding out. The rest of Tyrion's story can play out exactly like in the books from Jaime confessing about Tyrion's first wife not being a whore and that Tywin forced Jamie to lie to Tyrion which leads to Tyrion turning on Jaime to him then finding Shae fukking Tywin and killing his father in a rage thus becoming a wanted man again.

Oberyn could have been shown to have sustained some injuries in the fight with the Mountain that precluded him from killing Tywin himself. Oberyn's character could then become a merged character with his brother from the books. Say Doran dies of some illness and Oberyn becomes the new ruler of Dorne which then makes him have to leave the Small Council and King's Landing in a hurry before he can kill Tywin himself...with season 5 featuring a bumped up presence of Dorne in the show then it becomes very easy to just have all of Prince Doran's storyline from the books be carried out by Oberyn with the excuse for Oberyn not going after the Lannister's himself being because he has accepted the responsibility of the ruler of Dorne and his temper needs to be controlled. So then Oberyn becomes the one plotting against the Lannisters and wanting to align with Dany so she can claim the Iron Throne.

i feel where u coming from because a few weeks ago i said i wish they would have combined doran and oberyn too, but that was just my love for the character talking. it really wouldnt work because if oberyn doesnt die, there is no need for tyrion to escape. if oberyn doesnt die, there is no reason to believe that oberyn and tyrion dont just walk out of kings landing together and head down to dorne peacefully since tywin or cersei really have no legal way of killing either of them without setting off a war, especially since tyrion would be under oberyn's protection.

also, you cant just suddenly decide that doran dies from some random illness. if they WERE going to merge the characters, they would have had to start from the beginning and not even mention doran. then if u have oberyn as the prince of dorne, that changes the dynamics of the sand snakes and arianne wanting to wage war, while the prince of dorne preaches patience because he has a secret pact with the targaryens. if oberyn is in doran's place, and he knows about the pact, why behave so impatiently at kings landing? why not just wait it out? its just too many strings to tie up if u leave oberyn alive at this point. im sure they COULD have thought of ways to do it, but too many other things would have changed. im not one of those book readers that feels everything HAS to be exactly the same, but too much change isnt good with this story since its all connected.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
nice now we caught up to Sansa and this is the Sansa I like. I can see how the last two eps will play out. The Battle of castle black will take up all of ep nine. Now in ep 10 Tyrion will escape and kill Tywin and we will see the children of the forests. Also Ayra will leave the Hound for dead and travel to Brovos. Not sure how the season will end with Danny though.

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
Littlefinger saying people get murked in the privy to Robin had me :russ:

I'm screen cap that and post it the show thread

LurkLurker

No f*cks available to be given
Daps
Reppin
Secret Location, Somewhere
I want to fast forward this week and get to King Stannis riding up on the wall.

I've been waiting on this for so long. I can't even tell you brehs.

And then the Cotf and Bloodraven and Stoneheart.

Brehs. This is about to be the best 2 episodes of any show in the history of shows.

I am so ready.

:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Damn. I forgot about Stoneheart. I was sitting like a dummy. Forgot about that and Stannis showing up with the Calvary. People are gonna be like "I THOUGHT STANNIS WAS USELESS :damn:"

So much blasphemy regarding the man nowadays when talking about the tv show. It sickens me

LurkLurker

Daps
Reppin
Damn. I forgot about Stoneheart. I was sitting like a dummy. Forgot about that and Stannis showing up with the Calvary. People are gonna be like "I THOUGHT STANNIS WAS USELESS :damn:"

So much blasphemy regarding the man nowadays when talking about the tv show. It sickens me

You and me both breh. Stannis showing up at the wall was one of the best moments in the books for me, I thought them boys at the wall were done. :wow:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
i cant wait to start hearing casting news this offseason. im dying to see who is gonna play griff and aegon.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
i cant wait to start hearing casting news this offseason. im dying to see who is gonna play griff and aegon.

Y'all think those two are coming next season? I really hope so.

I wonder what this will mean for Targset in the show thread when they see Aegon VI getting to Westeros first. :pachaha: Gonna be a lot of band wagon jumping.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

I wonder what this will mean for Targset in the show thread when they see Aegon VI getting to Westeros first. :pachaha: Gonna be a lot of band wagon jumping.

i think so. i mean im a little cloudy on the details but they kind of have to. if they wanted they could probably delay that story for a season and have tyrion and jorah go on extended adventures and twist the timeline a little, but i think it would be stupid. or they could stretch out tyrion being in pentos for a whole season and jorah wandering the desert or someshyt. best bet would be to have tyrion in pentos for 2 episodes or 3, then have him meet up with griff and aegon for 2 or 3 episodes, and then finish it off with the adventures of imp and simp(im trademarking that for use next season as of right now :russ:). season finale could be aegon changing his mind about meeting up with dany and jorah and tyrion getting kidnapped by slavers.

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
anyone think the finale scene will be lady stoneheart rising? have the audience
965.gif
and cutting to black? i think that would be the best way to finish the season. it'll have people talking for a while and even have faithful stark followers believe theyve got one back for all the past years of L's, plus the lannisters finally getting what they deserve.

LurkLurker

Daps
Reppin

They're already jumping off Targset in the show thread and Dany hasn't even gotten annoying yet. The bandwagon is going to loose a wheel when Aegon shows up making moves. :lolbron:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
anyone think the finale scene will be lady stoneheart rising? have the audience
965.gif
and cutting to black? i think that would be the best way to finish the season. it'll have people talking for a while and even have faithful stark followers believe theyve got one back for all the past years of L's, plus the lannisters finally getting what they deserve.

im hoping we get a frey hanging. maybe have a group of freys on their way to winterfell to see roose bolton, have them raided by the brotherhood, and then have a hooded woman sentence them to death. then have the camera stay on her as they hang and when she lifts her face, BOOM its catelyn stark.

shyt would leave people going nuts.

LurkLurker

Daps
Reppin
im hoping we get a frey hanging. maybe have a group of freys on their way to winterfell to see roose bolton, have them raided by the brotherhood, and then have a hooded woman sentence them to death. then have the camera stay on her as they hang and when she lifts her face, BOOM its catelyn stark.

shyt would leave people going nuts.

:blessed: