A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

raff

Rookie
Daps
So I was thinking about how Varys murked Kevan not out of malice but because he was actually a good leader and was gonna end up undoing all the bullshyt Cersei fukked up, you think he knew Tyrion was gonna shoot Tywin? Maybe even set Shae up with Tywin or some shyt like that?

Because if he had been planning for so long, there was the Tywin hump to get over, had Tyrion not killed Tywin he woulda sent Cersei off to get married and ruled as Lord Regent, and since Tywin is a good leader, he would've easily brought back peace and stability. Of course that also means, Vary's had to have known what Littlefinger was up too, this shyt crazy b :lupe:

Still Tywin would've died of Martell poisoning (wine sampling). Yes Kev was dope, but had to go so that Aegon could have a clear path.
That was Varys' game.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
But are you of his school of thought? Did he sway you? Or you disregard his opinions?

I don't have time to listen to it right now, but judging by the title of the first video I have already stated in this thread that I consider Jaime and Cersei to be Targaryens. I do not believe this will ever be revealed, not only is there no one left in the story that would be able to verify it, but I don't believe it is meant to be revealed. I believe it is a subtle thing that astute readers are meant to pick up on and judge for themselves. Basically, this:
Authorial intent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The textual evidence for this is small, but the circumstantial evidence and narrative purpose are enough to sway me (the narrative purpose being creating irony between the way Tywin treats J&C vs. the way he treats his only true son Tyrion, plus other ironies such as Jaime killing his father).

There are only 2 things that will convince me that Jaime and Cersei are actual Lannisters:

1) GRRM clearly states it in the text or clearly states it in an interview that they are trueborn Lannisters. This overrides "authorial intent" for me personally since there is no metaphor involved
2) Tyrion turns out to be a Targaryen, in which case that would be too many secret Targs and would hurt the narrative if I thought J&C were also

I don't believe that Tyrion is a secret Targaryen. I believe that any textual evidence that points to him as a Targ is merely to foreshadow that he is going to be a dragon rider, or at least a key player in the Dance of Dragons 2.0

What is the second video about? Just about Jon being a Targaryen?

raff

Rookie
Daps
I don't have time to listen to it right now, but judging by the title of the first video I have already stated in this thread that I consider Jaime and Cersei to be Targaryens. I do not believe this will ever be revealed, not only is there no one left in the story that would be able to verify it, but I don't believe it is meant to be revealed. I believe it is a subtle thing that astute readers are meant to pick up on and judge for themselves. Basically, this:
Authorial intent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The textual evidence for this is small, but the circumstantial evidence and narrative purpose are enough to sway me (the narrative purpose being creating irony between the way Tywin treats J&C vs. the way he treats his only true son Tyrion, plus other ironies such as Jaime killing his father).

There are only 2 things that will convince me that Jaime and Cersei are actual Lannisters:

1) GRRM clearly states it in the text or clearly states it in an interview that they are trueborn Lannisters. This overrides "authorial intent" for me personally since there is no metaphor involved
2) Tyrion turns out to be a Targaryen, in which case that would be too many secret Targs and would hurt the narrative if I thought J&C were also

I don't believe that Tyrion is a secret Targaryen. I believe that any textual evidence that points to him as a Targ is merely to foreshadow that he is going to be a dragon rider, or at least a key player in the Dance of Dragons 2.0

What is the second video about? Just about Jon being a Targaryen?

Teflon of House Teflon also feels J+C are Targ. Second one points out to the origins of Jon, standard theory but
interesting through Robert being so gully that he wouldn't give a fukk and kill Jon on the spot in Winterfell if he'd give a wrong answear or didn't act right.

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
Man these theories are bugging me out, that gravedigger shyt has me like :ohhh:

I hadn't even thought of it, I was just looking for confirmation that breh wasnt the dude burning the Saltpans, never even considered that he might not be really dead.

Holy Hound vs Zombie Mountain :whew:

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
So I was thinking about how Varys murked Kevan not out of malice but because he was actually a good leader and was gonna end up undoing all the bullshyt Cersei fukked up, you think he knew Tyrion was gonna shoot Tywin? Maybe even set Shae up with Tywin or some shyt like that?

Because if he had been planning for so long, there was the Tywin hump to get over, had Tyrion not killed Tywin he woulda sent Cersei off to get married and ruled as Lord Regent, and since Tywin is a good leader, he would've easily brought back peace and stability. Of course that also means, Vary's had to have known what Littlefinger was up too, this shyt crazy b :lupe:
Definitely. Notice how Varys somehow "reluctantly" reveals every bit of info that leads to Tyrion killing Tywin, all the while "pleading" for Tyrion not to do it. Please. He knew what he was doing.

That being said even if Tyrion somehow restrained himself, Varys would kill Tywin the same way he killed Kevan, and Tyrion would still get blamed for it.

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
If Wyman Manderly survives that attack at the end of the last book or whichever one his last story was in, I think he's going to be essential to the Northmen taking back the North.
I think the shyt just barely scraped his throat, his knights jumped in and saved him at the last sec

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
Word? For some reason I was thinking his shyt got cut the fukk open. If he should be alright, then good shyt. I believe he is aware that the Stark boys are alive still.
yeah the last thing the chapter mentioned was the Maester stitching him up, and yeah he knows, he sent Davos to get Rickon from Skagos I think

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Jamie and Cersei being Targaryens would make a lot of sense. Obviously brother and sister being close, Cersei being twisted, and the irony of Aerys telling Jaime to bring him his father's head....technically he did :lolbron:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Characters leaked for Game of Thrones season 5, with new details

2-630x419.jpg

Thanks to a tip from a Winteriscoming.net source, we have a better idea of how Game of Thrones season 5 is taking shape. Casting is in full swing, providing us with details about who the show will be adding next year- and a few of the changes that may happen with them.

Fans have been speculating that with Game of Thrones possibly filming in Spain next season that we’ll be seeing a lot of Dorne, and based on the role breakdown that has surfaced, they’re right.

We’ll tuck the details below a cut as they will include some spoilers about next year. In season 5, the characters we’ll be seeing include:

• Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
  • Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
  • Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.
The Sand Snakes, Oberyn Martell’s b*stard daughters (with ages ranging 18-25):

• Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
  • Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
  • Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.

• High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
  • Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
  • Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.
  • Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
  • Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
  • The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.

Ours is the Fury: There may be more casting information trickling in, so this list is by no means complete. The show may have already filled some roles, and that is why some parts are not present. I do hope that Arianne will be cast though, because while some aspects of her plot could be handled by Sand Snakes, not all can. A legitimate princess who is the heir isn’t the same as a b*stard, so that is my only concern about casting. As for the Snakes, the show has established that Oberyn does have eight daughters, but we always knew we wouldn’t get to see all of them. Consolidating their personalities into three of them makes sense, I think.

Characters leaked for Game of Thrones season 5, with new details - WinterIsComing.net - News and rumors about HBO's Game of Thrones

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
So we might not be seeing Quentyn Martell get burned:ohhh: I sure hope so because his storyline never really got me in the books, only part that I really liked was when he tried to tame a dragon, but he just got roasted:mjlol:And they are going to get the Swords and Stars/Sparrows storyline going and we all know where that leads to:shaq: