A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Ya'll realize we getting significant/big deaths in every ep the rest of the season?
Lysa catching it this week. And possibly the Hound(theories not withstanding) In the preview he tells Arya she's turned him into a walking bag of silver

Oberyn the episode after.

Ygritte dying during the Battle at Castle Black in ep 9

Tywin and Shae in ep 10. I honestly think the Hound might catch in ep 10 tho.
:lupe:
Show watchers heads are gonna be :mindblown:
I wanted Lysa to be the last scene in the season like in the book, after all the fukkery I had read when Littlefinger killed her with no fukks given :banderas:

jericho

The North Remembers
Daps
Reppin
Robert_Baratheon_TheMico.jpg
Robert_Baratheon_King_TheMico.jpg

Balon_kneels.png

Zippo514_the_war_of_five_kings.jpg

roose_bolton_and_window_by_guad-d3ijiae.jpg

tumblr_m3v2zuLuxh1qbityio1_500.png

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I finally finished A Feast for Crows. The last 150 or so pages :wow:

Is the Pate that Sam meets at the end of book 4 supposed to be the same "Pate" as the prologue? I know Pate dies in the prologue, but there's so many dudes named Pate in the story that I'm not sure if that's someone new or someone assuming the dead Pate from the prologue's identity :beli:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

Is the Pate that Sam meets at the end of book 4 supposed to be the same "Pate" as the prologue? I know Pate dies in the prologue, but there's so many dudes named Pate in the story that I'm not sure if that's someone new or someone assuming the dead Pate from the prologue's identity :beli:

Whoever killed pate took his identity is the belief

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

considering the fact that the person who killed pate, killed him in the same manner that Arya caught a body when she was training tells us that it was a FM who did it, and they dont really kill people unless they're about to take someone's identity for a hit

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

Same Pate yes...sort of

It is 99.5% accepted that Jaqen H'agar was the one that killed Pate and stole his identity. The Faceless Men were seeking that key that opens all the Citadel's doors. For what reason is unknown.

I'm not sure if you are also aware that it is 93.7% accepted that a faceless man killed Balon Greyjoy at the command of Euron Greyjoy as well, and it is 44.5% accepted that Euron paid the faceless men with the dragon egg that he has possessed.

So all these probabilities combined equal a 56.1% change that the faceless men are trying to find a book in the Citadel that can teach them how to hatch a dragon egg

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

from ACOK:
Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls.

the description of The Alchemist in AFFC:
He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man’s face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears.

The Alchemist is Jaqen H'ghar, and took the face of Pate in order to infiltrate the Citadel. Why? Who knows. Although interestingly, H'ghar was initially heading towards the Wall in ACOK, whereas he's entering the Citadel in AFFC. What is the only connection between the two?

Tyrion:
Ten years ago, Tyrion had read a fragment of Unnatural History that had eluded the Blessed Baelor, but he doubted that any of Barth’s work had found its way across the narrow sea. And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.

From a Sam chapter in AFFC we learn this book is in the Wall's library:
Dragonkin, Being a History of House Targaryen from Exile to Apotheosis, with a Consideration of the Life and Death of Dragons"

:ohhh:

The Faceless Men could be looking for ways to destroy the dragons.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
from ACOK:
Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where iso scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls.

the description of The Alchemist in AFFC:
He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man’s face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears.

The Alchemist is Jaqen H'ghar, and took the face of Pate in order to infiltrate the Citadel. Why? Who knows. Although interestingly, H'ghar was initially heading towards the Wall in ACOK, whereas he's entering the Citadel in AFFC. What is the only connection between the two?

Tyrion:
Ten years ago, Tyrion had read a fragment of Unnatural History that had eluded the Blessed Baelor, but he doubted that any of Barth’s work had found its way across the narrow sea. And of course there was even less chance of his coming on the fragmentary, anonymous, blood-soaked tome sometimes called Blood and Fire and sometimes The Death of Dragons, the only surviving copy of which was supposedly hidden away in a locked vault beneath the Citadel.

From a Sam chapter in AFFC we learn this book is in the Wall's library:
Dragonkin, Being a History of House Targaryen from Exile to Apotheosis, with a Consideration of the Life and Death of Dragons"

The maesters want to kill dragons, not sure why the faceless men would need to scheme against them to accomplish the same goal. I think the faceless men are doing the opposite and trying to wake them, to help make their magic more powerful

Or this Is also somehow maybe tied to the Doom of Valyria

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps

Though the fact that "Pate" is a FM is obvious, that never made much sense to me. The Faceless Men as an order predate Braavos. Braavos was founded 800 years ago so the Faceless Men are older, possibly much older than that, since they started in the Valyrian mines.
Aegon's Conquest happened about 300 years or so before the series, so the Maesters have only been in contact with dragons for about 200 years(it's been about a century since the last dragon died).

Now why would the Faceless Men need dragon lore from the Maesters if they(the FM) have been founded in Valyria itself and have been around dragons much longer than the Maesters? And why now, since at the time Braavos was founded the Valyrian Freehold was still alive and well? Or why didn't they look for it while the Targaryens still had dragons? Surely Aegon's dragons were far bigger threats than Dany's baby dragons.
Nevermind the fact that the Kindly Man hints that the FM may have had something to do with the Doom of Valyria.

Also, I doubt there is some secret, sophisticated way of killing dragons. You either kill them in battle(arrows, ballistas etc.) or poison them, like the Maesters are implied to have done.

It doesn't add up. If there is any lore on how to kill dragons the FM would have had it far before the Maesters did. No, if the theory that Euron paid the FM with a dragon egg is true, it's more likely that the FM are looking for lore on how to hatch a dragon - since they must know Daenerys did it. That would be lore the Maesters may have(or at least the FM would think so) since they served the Targaryens at court for 200 years.

edit: ninja'd

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
The scene between the Red Viper and Tyrion was fukking powerful. Watching Oberyn get got is gonna hurt like a motherfukker again :to:

No more Chilean excellence :to:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Hmm that selyse and melisandre scene kind of hints strongly at shireen being sacrificed.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
The scene between the Red Viper and Tyrion was fukking powerful. Watching Oberyn get got is gonna hurt like a motherfukker again :to:

No more Chilean excellence :to:

Man that shyt had me hype. My heart was pumping. Maybe Oberyn can pull it out this time:sadcam:

Talk about amazing character development to win support of the TV audience though:whew:.

Then they gonna rip our hearts out :snoop:

Hmm that selyse and melisandre scene kind of hints strongly at shireen being sacrificed.

Melisandre talking about a "harsh reality" to Seylse. fukk George for this one.

Stannis turning evil confirmed :pachaha: