A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
I think Victarion is getting the axe brehs. This whole shyt with Daario stealing 93 ships sounds to me like Vic's storyline just became irrelevant, other than the dragon horn of course but I don't think the horn is gonna be that important (and if it is, someone else can find it).

And I hope that Davos talking about buying the Golden Company doesn't mean that Aegon is gonna get the axe too :patrice:

yeah 93 is too random of a number to be a coincidence

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
I really want to jump into the books, they've been collecting dust on my desk for 2 years,

but I don't want to read them all, then have to wait 5 years for a new book to be released

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I really want to jump into the books, they've been collecting dust on my desk for 2 years,

but I don't want to read them all, then have to wait 5 years for a new book to be released

New one looks promising for 2015. Its gonna take you a while to catch up, plus there is plenty of shyt to do in the meantime. The World of Ice and Fire book. The hundreds of huge fan theory discussions.

Don't pour jelly on yourself. I was just saying the other day, dudes are gonna be real salty if some major character dies in the next book cause the trolls are gonna purposelly be spoiling stuff

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i guess breh :sadbron: he said it kind of offhandedly so im not sure

at the 8 minute mark

I think he's just referring to what GRRM told him at the Season 3 Premiere (March 2013), that he was halfway done Book 6.

Here's the video of the interview from June 2013, skip to 5:50

I highly doubt GRRM has made zero progress 14 months later. 2015 seems like a safe bet.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
Ya'll realize we getting significant/big deaths in every ep the rest of the season?
Lysa catching it this week. And possibly the Hound(theories not withstanding) In the preview he tells Arya she's turned him into a walking bag of silver

Oberyn the episode after.

Ygritte dying during the Battle at Castle Black in ep 9

Tywin and Shae in ep 10. I honestly think the Hound might catch in ep 10 tho.
:lupe:
Show watchers heads are gonna be :mindblown:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

I know that the book nerds would have had an epic meltdown but I kind of wish they would have changed it to Jon killing Ygritte in battle. It fits with the theme of "Song and Ice and Fire" which GRRM has made clear has multiple meanings and one of them being the choices we have to make in our heart. In this case, fire is Jon's passion for Ygritte and ice his is duty to protect the wall. I think it would have been perfectly poetic if he was forced to kill her in battle. She could still die in his arms as he is heartbroken and apologetic and begging for her survival.

But we all know he aint gonna kill her, its obvious.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Ya'll realize we getting significant/big deaths in every ep the rest of the season?
Lysa catching it this week. And possibly the Hound(theories not withstanding) In the preview he tells Arya she's turned him into a walking bag of silver

Jesus, i can't wait...tears for fukking everyone for the rest of the season.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
I think that lil boy is gonna kill her if it isn't Jon. Matter of fact that's who I'm sure is gonna do it. They keep that lil boy around for something more than just to take Satin place

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees

That's why I want Episode 8 to get here ASAP so people in the show thread don't get spoiled. Martin wrote that chapter so that you were almost certain Oberyn won until the Mountain got him on the ground. I want show watchers to be furious.

My guess is the season ends with Arya...."Valar Morghulis"

raff

Rookie
Daps
I know that the book nerds would have had an epic meltdown but I kind of wish they would have changed it to Jon killing Ygritte in battle. It fits with the theme of "Song and Ice and Fire" which GRRM has made clear has multiple meanings and one of them being the choices we have to make in our heart. In this case, fire is Jon's passion for Ygritte and ice his is duty to protect the wall. I think it would have been perfectly poetic if he was forced to kill her in battle. She could still die in his arms as he is heartbroken and apologetic and begging for her survival.

Maybe he will kill her so he can have 1 off the list of things in the way to becoming Azor Ahai?

The redhead kid shoots her near fataly with an arrow and Jon mercy kills her with the sword.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
That's why I want Episode 8 to get here ASAP so people in the show thread don't get spoiled. Martin wrote that chapter so that you were almost certain Oberyn won until the Mountain got him on the ground. I want show watchers to be furious.

My guess is the season ends with Arya...."Valar Morghulis"
Yeah, NO ONE who read that chapter thought Oberyn would lose. But with 2 weeks of downtime between episodes the secret is gonna be hard to hide.

Lysa and Littlefinger will take some of the heat off it luckily. And I still think Stoneheart may close out this episode. Seems like a perfect way to build insane hypeb for the two week layoff and bring in new viewers for 3 of the best episodes of the series

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Yeah, NO ONE who read that chapter thought Oberyn would lose. But with 2 weeks of downtime between episodes the secret is gonna be hard to hide.

Lysa and Littlefinger will take some of the heat off it luckily. And I still think Stoneheart may close out this episode. Seems like a perfect way to build insane hypeb for the two week layoff and bring in new viewers for 3 of the best episodes of the series

You think they'll allude to the poison spear Oberyn uses? Seems like him being a master of poisons isn't a factor on the show.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Was reading a thread on Reddit about AFFC/ADWD and it reminded me I needed to drop my monthly appreciation post for A Feast For Crows.

I really think that when this series is done it is going to be looked at as the best written book out of the first 5. No, it is not a plot monster like Storm of Swords or like Winds of Winder is going to be, but it is amazing nonetheless. If the series was supposed to be a non-stop freight train it would have been kept as a trilogy. The world building and politics are just as entertaining for me.

Still having a tough time reconciling ADWD though....cutting out the Battle for Meereen and Battle for Winterfell was a huge mistake.

EDIT: I think after this season ends I'm going to do a combined re-read using this pdf which has combined the two books into the correct order:
http://www.filedropper.com/ballofbeastsa-georgerrmartin

Last edited:

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Was reading a thread on Reddit about AFFC/ADWD and it reminded me I needed to drop my monthly appreciation post for A Feast For Crows.

I really think that when this series is done it is going to be looked at as the best written book out of the first 5. No, it is not a plot monster like Storm of Swords or like Winds of Winder is going to be, but it is amazing nonetheless. If the series was supposed to be a non-stop freight train it would have been kept as a trilogy. The world building and politics are just as entertaining for me.

Still having a tough time reconciling ADWD though....cutting out the Battle for Meereen and Battle for Winterfell was a huge mistake.

EDIT: I think after this season ends I'm going to do a combined re-read using this pdf which has combined the two books into the correct order:
http://www.filedropper.com/ballofbeastsa-georgerrmartin
The combined reread is the only way I will read books 4-5 from now on. Im halfway through and It just flows so well and you can tell its really one huge book. I made a few tweaks to my version but the balls of beast version is well done.