A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

raff

Rookie
Daps
How do you guys think the flip of the focus of the story will play out with show watchers? The first 4 books really have the tone of a political thriller set in a fantasy middle ages era, but from the looks of it the last two will focus on a magical war of demons, humans with super powers, and regular people with the 5th book being a bridge. All this time people are focused on their favorite family gaining control of the iron throne, but if the Others make a major move how can the iron throne be seen as anything other than an afterthought?

IMO people won't care, cause much like with "The Wire" GoT is a trojan horse type of show. Wire was supposed to be just a cop show
and GoT a Lord of the Rings redux. But these shows are much larger than that, and viewrs intuitively sense that they're witnessing greatness:krs::ahh: and accept what ever is put on later, even dragon and ice demon wars.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Ice Queen got some booty cheeks tho:mjpls:, they might have been jealous:mjpls:. But I still can't see two Starks going at it just cause.

I also saw a theory where apparently the children of the forest are instigating a war between the Others and humans to reclaim Westeros.

I read a theory that the Others are an off-shoot of the Children of the Forest. When the First Men came, the Children of the Forest made a pact with them. And some of the Children of the Forest didn't agree with the pact and ventured far north, farther than anyone went before and turned themselves into the Others.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
IMO people won't care, cause much like with "The Wire" GoT is a trojan horse type of show. Wire was supposed to be just a cop show
and GoT a Lord of the Rings redux. But these shows are much larger than that, and viewrs intuitively sense that they're witnessing greatness:krs::ahh: and accept what ever is put on later, even dragon and ice demon wars.

At the end of the day The Wire was still about solving crimes, the crimes became more complex and intertwined but it was still catching criminals. This GoT is going from all about the Iron Throne to a battle between good and evil. Maybe if the show was ASOIAF then it could be expected but Throne is in the title of the show.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Got a handful of dat ass tho :shaq:
that he does :banderas: that cootie was prolly Ygritte status :ohlawd:

edit: that interview with Jojen and the show's producer just dropped and Jojen's actor also hinted at Jojen knowing his role was to die at some point so Bran could continue, his exact words were when asked about his character getting sick "Jojen has a matter-of-fact view of death, and he know's something has to happen in order for other things to happen"

take it as you will :manny:

fukking :hovlaff: at how big Isaac is now, Hodor's actor prolly be like
ib129dfXLrFRQi.png
every year when this nikka comes back 5 inches taller

garZYXH.jpg

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Not sure how many of yall have checked out any of GRRM's short stories, but I read one a few weeks back that I been meaning to mention just because I found it hilarious in the darkest way possible

He's got this story called "Meathouse Man"....its kind of a sci-fi/horror about this guy Trager who is searching for love. He lives in a world where he works as a corpse handler. They take lifeless bodies and connect them with the brains of handlers who control them to perform jobs. Good corpse handlers can control 6 or 7 at a time. Many people like to visit Meathouses which are brothels in which the lifeless prostitute is connected to you brain while you have sex with them. But Trager wants more than that, he wants true love. The story follows him through a few sets of love and heartbreak, then eventually just ends with the line "of all the bright cruel lies they tell you, the cruelest is the one called love"

:mjlol:Aint no happy endings or positivity up in here, shyt is just straight comedy to me that he would even write the story. I kind of hope that ASOIAF has a similar theme where everything just turns to shyt. I know it won't be quite as dark because he has said the ending will be "bittersweet," but I'm hoping the journey to get there is rough. I guess it already has been pretty rough with Ned and Robb...lets keep it going. I'm starting to hope the Starks wind up as ruthless grey characters rather than heroes.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
At the end of the day The Wire was still about solving crimes, the crimes became more complex and intertwined but it was still catching criminals. This GoT is going from all about the Iron Throne to a battle between good and evil. Maybe if the show was ASOIAF then it could be expected but Throne is in the title of the show.
Didn't the very first scene of the show feature the White Walkers though?

It's not like this is out of the blue. The WW have appeared if I'm not mistaken in every season. That, along with Bran's storyline are reminders that the bigger, supernatural threat is always looming out there. In fact this aspect of the series has been far less subtle in the show than in the books.

Jards

All Star
Daps
"Gilly was crying. "Me and the babe. Please. I'll be your wife, like i was Craster's. Please, Ser crow. He's a boy, just like Nella said he'd be. If you don't take him they will." "They?" said Sam, and the raven cocked its black head and echoed, "They. They. They" "The boy's brothers," said the old woman on the left. "Craster's sons. The white cold is rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor bones don't lie. They'll be here soon, the sons."

Sam chapter during the revolt at crasters. Its already been show to us we just forgot. Also notice how there was an entire SQUAD of these nikkas standing there at the end of tonights episode. So far we have only seen 4 actual walkers in the show. The big nikka who killed Waymar Royce, The one that we see all the time with the long hair on the dead horse. The one killed by sam and this new nikka tonight. heres the thing though, this cat didn't look like a ice zombie, he was barely blue.
Even though the scene was blurred, one of the nikkas in the back looked like he was walking like a human. I thought they were gonna reveal that the head nikka in charge of the white walkers was a human being or something

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Even though the scene was blurred, one of the nikkas in the back looked like he was walking like a human. I thought they were gonna reveal that the head nikka in charge of the white walkers was a human being or something

Unless you are in denial about the Nights King though, thats kind of exactly what they did. If he was the Nights King, that means he started his life as a grown man and as a Stark.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
he started off as a human tho

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Honestly, most complaints I've heard about the show are either "They've been talking about the White Walks for four seasons now and we've seen them like 5 times total" or "They've been promising us dragons in Westoros for four seasons and they're still no where near the main places" ...So I don't think it'll be a problem for many viewers and it might even be a positive for some.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Hey, can any of yall let me know if you are gonna bytch about it if Jon meets up with Bran this Sunday for a goodbye? I need to know who to put on ignore :youngsabo:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Hey, can any of yall let me know if you are gonna bytch about it if Jon meets up with Bran this Sunday for a goodbye? I need to know who to put on ignore :youngsabo:

I don't mind it. It's not like the other 12 or so subplots are spoiled as well. Remember next season is about to be all jumbled with the book 4 and the first half od book 5 happening concurrently.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Not sure how many of yall have checked out any of GRRM's short stories, but I read one a few weeks back that I been meaning to mention just because I found it hilarious in the darkest way possible

He's got this story called "Meathouse Man"....its kind of a sci-fi/horror about this guy Trager who is searching for love. He lives in a world where he works as a corpse handler. They take lifeless bodies and connect them with the brains of handlers who control them to perform jobs. Good corpse handlers can control 6 or 7 at a time. Many people like to visit Meathouses which are brothels in which the lifeless prostitute is connected to you brain while you have sex with them. But Trager wants more than that, he wants true love. The story follows him through a few sets of love and heartbreak, then eventually just ends with the line "of all the bright cruel lies they tell you, the cruelest is the one called love"

:mjlol:Aint no happy endings or positivity up in here, shyt is just straight comedy to me that he would even write the story. I kind of hope that ASOIAF has a similar theme where everything just turns to shyt. I know it won't be quite as dark because he has said the ending will be "bittersweet," but I'm hoping the journey to get there is rough. I guess it already has been pretty rough with Ned and Robb...lets keep it going. I'm starting to hope the Starks wind up as ruthless grey characters rather than heroes.

The Starks are going to end up bitter/jaded/coldhearted by the end of the books. When everything is over, they'll want to return to The North, and as far as they'll be concerned, The Iron Throne could be set on fire along with all the families who bicker over it. If Jon ends up being King, that will be bittersweet for him, because he surely will hate everything The Iron Throne represents. Arya will be a hardened killer. Sansa will be a ruthless strategist. When Rickon comes out of Skagos, he'll be half a savage. Bran will probably be the only one with a "pure heart". I get the feeling like when its all done, it will be a long LONG time before anyone from The North comes back down to King's Landing.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
The Starks are going to end up bitter/jaded/coldhearted by the end of the books. When everything is over, they'll want to return to The North, and as far as they'll be concerned, The Iron Throne could be set on fire along with all the families who bicker over it. If Jon ends up being King, that will be bittersweet for him, because he surely will hate everything The Iron Throne represents. Arya will be a hardened killer. Sansa will be a ruthless strategist. When Rickon comes out of Skagos, he'll be half a savage. Bran will probably be the only one with a "pure heart". I get the feeling like when its all done, it will be a long LONG time before anyone from The North comes back down to King's Landing.
u personally think it's going to end up being fragmented again, there'll be no iron throne ruling over multiple spots at once because one seat having that much power is the reason this war is going on in the first place :yeshrug: the others about to punch all these nikkas in the chest and remind em that in the bigger picture that iron throne dont matter at all