A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
His explanation was the first 12 lord commanders had contact with the Others. The Night's Watch now is about protecting Westeros from the White Walkers. His theory was that in the beginning, it wasn't partial to either side. It was there to keep the Others from going into Westeros and the Humans from going into the Land of Always Winter. The first 12 did that. Then the 13th Lord Commander took it a step further by actually wifing up an Other. The humans called it an abomination and then removed the Night's King and his Queen. When I see the Night's King and the fact that there are 12 dudes behind him, it makes me think :ohhh:

game-of-thrones-oathbreaker-white-walker-king.jpg

:ohhh:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The guy's explanation was that the Others don't reproduce like humans. It takes them a long while to rebuild their numbers. He also said they were long lived (immortal), so maybe time works differently to them (100 years might seem like 1 year). So when the Night's Queen was killed (which is like the Lannisters killing Elia Martell), the Others been planning revenge since. His explanation for the wildings is that the Others would kill them but, it was almost as if they were hoarding them like cattle and pushing them back to the Wall. His theory kinda of makes sense seeing that all the wilding villages are barely outside of the gates :lupe:

Yeah, but the theory based on that the First Men couldn't win against The Others (without the pact), so why would The Others need to replenish their population? The only thing I could (and other people) think of is that "there always needs to be a stark in Winterfell" with Robb and Ned gone.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Yeah, but the theory based on that the First Men couldn't win against The Others (without the pact), so why would The Others need to replenish their population? The only thing I could (and other people) think of is that "there always needs to be a stark in Winterfell" with Robb and Ned gone.

Well, the Children of the Forest did give obsidian (dragon glass) to the First Men. Maybe alot of the Others were killed in the Long Night.

I do think there lies something deeper within the whole "there always needs to be a Stark in Winterfell" thing though.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
His explanation was the first 12 lord commanders had contact with the Others. The Night's Watch now is about protecting Westeros from the White Walkers. His theory was that in the beginning, it wasn't partial to either side. It was there to keep the Others from going into Westeros and the Humans from going into the Land of Always Winter. The first 12 did that. Then the 13th Lord Commander took it a step further by actually taking an Other for a wife. The humans called it an abomination and then removed the Night's King and his Queen. When I see the Night's King and the fact that there are 12 dudes behind him, it makes me think :ohhh:

this makes the identity of coldhands much more interesting imo. he was also in the nights watch, and bloodraven tells bran he died long ago.

:patrice:

yeahisaidit

All Star
Daps
I can't see that Jojen paste ish being true. Bran told that whole story about the guy being punished for his sins by having to eat the ones he loved or some ish, so consuming loved ones is a punishment in his eyes (and Westoros custom for that matter). I also get the feeling that if Jojen was gonna die it'd be shown in the book, not an after thought "oh by the way, you ate Jojen." That could just be me though.
Yeah, it's just you.

The guy wasn't punished for making the King eat his own son, he was punished for killing a guest beneath his roof (guest rights).

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well, the Children of the Forest did give obsidian (dragon glass) to the First Men. Maybe alot of the Others were killed in the Long Night.

I do think there lies something deeper within the whole "there always needs to be a Stark in Winterfell" thing though.

I forgot about that :ohhh:, the children of the forest are def the wildcard. But I really do think the "here always needs to be a Stark in Winterfell" thing def has something to do with The Others. It's still strange that the Stark brother (and the wilding's king) would kill the Night's King if it was something agreed upon (unless there is some pact with the others we don't know about with the Night's Watch). Seems like the attack would happen much faster.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
I forgot about that :ohhh:, the children of the forest are def the wildcard. But I really do think the "here always needs to be a Stark in Winterfell" thing def has something to do with The Others. It's still strange that the Stark brother (and the wilding's king) would kill the Night's King if it was something agreed upon (unless there is some pact with the others we don't know about with the Night's Watch). Seems like the attack would happen much faster.

You see how much Davos dislikes Melissandre. Calls her a demon witch and hates the hold she has on Stannis with her devil magic. I'm pretty sure in the same way, people didnt take it too well that a guy was actually having sex with an ice demon and making her his queen. I mean, this picture looks pretty :demonic:

250px-Night%27s_King.png

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Yeah, it's just you.

The guy wasn't punished for making the King eat his own son, he was punished for killing a guest beneath his roof (guest rights).

I'm saying the punishment was eating others, not that he was punished for doing it. Eating another human being is viewed as a punishment, not a form of empowerment.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
You see how much Davos dislikes Melissandre. Calls her a demon witch and hates the hold she has on Stannis with her devil magic. I'm pretty sure in the same way, people didnt take it too well that a guy was actually having sex with an ice demon and making her his queen. I mean, this picture looks pretty :demonic:

250px-Night%27s_King.png

Got a handful of dat ass tho :shaq:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
His explanation was the first 12 lord commanders had contact with the Others. The Night's Watch now is about protecting Westeros from the White Walkers. His theory was that in the beginning, it wasn't partial to either side. It was there to keep the Others from going into Westeros and the Humans from going into the Land of Always Winter. The first 12 did that. Then the 13th Lord Commander took it a step further by actually taking an Other for a wife. The humans called it an abomination and then removed the Night's King and his Queen. When I see the Night's King and the fact that there are 12 dudes behind him, it makes me think :ohhh:

A lot of that actually fits and could work. I just don't like Dany kind of becoming the villain...but Targaryens and going crazy isn't new and she ended the last book kinda realizing she needs to be more of a dragon/conqueror than peace keeper.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
So Idk if it's been discussed, but I was wondering why the show people made Tommen so much older on the show than he is in the books. Two guesses would be that the marriage consummation discussions are gonna happen which would be weird as hell or Tommen's fittin' die ugly and they couldn't have a young child go out like that.

I'm just sayin'...that bedroom scene woulda been really awkward and made no sense without aging the character up and I was pretty damned close with this question that a few of yall hated on.

Cheesy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Hometown
just read a theory on westeros.org that the Starks are descended from the Others, what if Melisandre raises Jon Snow and he rises as a White Walker?:ohhh:

just the thought of that happening had me:dead: it would be the greatest twist in the entire story

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
How do you guys think the flip of the focus of the story will play out with show watchers? The first 4 books really have the tone of a political thriller set in a fantasy middle ages era, but from the looks of it the last two will focus on a magical war of demons, humans with super powers, and regular people with the 5th book being a bridge. All this time people are focused on their favorite family gaining control of the iron throne, but if the Others make a major move how can the iron throne be seen as anything other than an afterthought?

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
Them nikkas over at Westeros.org think Jon Snow is gonna come back as a white walker :mjlol:

God, I'm glad those idiots don't write the books. Id throw my tv out the window if they did that to Young Jeezy.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

250px-Night%27s_King.png

Ice Queen got some booty cheeks tho:mjpls:, they might have been jealous:mjpls:. But I still can't see two Starks going at it just cause.

I also saw a theory where apparently the children of the forest are instigating a war between the Others and humans to reclaim Westeros.