A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
I am NOT a sex offender
:dwillhuh: i was talking about how they had Tyrion bark on her, so people are feeling bad for shae now, so when she betrays tyrion the tv watchers are like "well she kind of had a reason :ld:"

when in the books it seemed like she just turnt into a snake cuz tyrion wouldn't make a noble woman out of her, bytch was grimey as hell wit it
My fault. I thought you meant her overall character being different than in the book. She was always sort of grimey and petulant in the books.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
:dead:

That was me and @Klarifeye The Great

Others joined in to take files on Starkset and wore Bolton colors for the raid :russ:

:blessed: it was masterful...

images

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
the same way they're tryna create fake sympathy for Shae too :snoop: i really hate that shyt, make the dudes grimey and hell but pull back on showing the FULL demonic energy in the women
Idk, I read Cerceis "redemption" like I read Jamie's. It was more of a "The Lannisters aren't as evil as you think and Tywin plays a bigger part of it"

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Sad that the main complaint about this whole mess is that "now I can't get my friends to understand why I like Jaime so much"

:camby:

Jaime has been portrayed almost perfectly. If turning a questionable sex scene into a even more questionable sex scene is the only complaint you can muster for why your friends hate Jaime, than perhaps you need to re-evaluate your whitewashing of Jaime's character. Because those friends who haven't read the books look at him the way he his, while the book readers look at him for what they hope he will become.

Let me be clear about something, I like Jaime's story arc. I like it a lot, one of the best and most complex of the entire series. But Jaime Lannister the character is not a good guy. He has expressed zero regret about Bran in any of his many POV chapters. He has expressed zero regret about Ned's men. Admittedly he has been unfairly looked down upon his whole life by other characters based on a morally ambiguous kingslaying and oathbreaking, but he did morally reprehensible things in A Game of Thrones. That book can not be ignored simply because he is a nicer guy in a Feast For Crows

In my opinion, the killing of his cousin on the show was a far worse character assassination than this Cersei sex scene. The sex scene was a darker interpretation of events that actually happened, the kinslaying was just flat out added to make him more evil.

Stannis stans have much more to complain about than Jaime stans, Stannis has been given almost zero redeeming qualities other than during Blackwater. Jaime's "redemption" arc has barely even started. It really doesn't even kick into gear until he leaves Cersei for good.

People are really jumping the gun here because of their Jaime love and the rose-colored glasses they have while reading his character. He will be your hero later this season and into next season, one little scene means nothing in the grand scheme of the show. It was a shocking scene in an episode where very little happened, it is getting a lot of attention but in the grand scheme of things it will be forgotten.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Sad that the main complaint about this whole mess is that "now I can't get my friends to understand why I like Jaime so much"

:camby:

Jaime has been portrayed almost perfectly. If turning a questionable sex scene into a even more questionable sex scene is the only complaint you can muster for why your friends hate Jaime, than perhaps you need to re-evaluate your whitewashing of Jaime's character. Because those friends who haven't read the books look at him the way he his, while the book readers look at him for what they hope he will become.

Let me be clear about something, I like Jaime's story arc. I like it a lot, one of the best and most complex of the entire series. But Jaime Lannister the character is not a good guy. He has expressed zero regret about Bran in any of his many POV chapters. He has expressed zero regret about Ned's men. Admittedly he has been unfairly looked down upon his whole life by other characters based on a morally ambiguous kingslaying and oathbreaking, but he did morally reprehensible things in A Game of Thrones. That book can not be ignored simply because he is a nicer guy in a Feast For Crows

In my opinion, the killing of his cousin on the show was a far worse character assassination than this Cersei sex scene. The sex scene was a darker interpretation of events that actually happened, the kinslaying was just flat out added to make him more evil.

Stannis stans have much more to complain about than Jaime stans, Stannis has been given almost zero redeeming qualities other than during Blackwater. Jaime's "redemption" arc has barely even started. It really doesn't even kick into gear until he leaves Cersei for good.

People are really jumping the gun here because of their Jaime love and the rose-colored glasses they have while reading his character. He will be your hero later this season and into next season, one little scene means nothing in the grand scheme of the show. It was a shocking scene in an episode where very little happened, it is getting a lot of attention but in the grand scheme of things it will be forgotten.
what exactly ignited this essay? i dont recall seeing anyone in here really argue that hard about the scene

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
what exactly ignited this essay? i dont recall seeing anyone in here really argue that hard about the scene
The general reaction to the episode internet-wide. The whole "it wasn't like that in the books" backlash which is a convenient argument to use when it hurts a character someone likes but ignored when it helps a character someone likes

The Coli-bubble has reacted more balanced, because there aren't many Jaime stans on this forum

Sunday nights and Monday morning internet discussions and readings about Game of Thrones are usually fun and are entertaining well into the week, but it has been pretty unbearable because of the Jaime scene.

Hey...while I got you quoted....let me ask you something. What do you find so bad about the Shae change? I personally don't see how it will make much of a difference in anything. It made the Tyrion/Shae relationship more complex for the show which is a positive thing. It won't matter much for the trial....sure, you can sympathize a bit with Shae but I don't really think that it excuses the betrayal when she takes the stand. It will still be a devastating betrayal that will crush Tyrion and make the viewers sympathize with him, because the viewers know that he sent her away for her own good. It is not a secret that he loves her and wants the best for her. I don't see how the dynamic has changed.

If anything, it will make her murder even more shocking and will lend even more to the idea that Tyrion is a bit darker of a character than he has been portrayed on the show.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Why is the Faith of the Seven so popular? At least the religions around the Old Gods and Lord of Light have some supernatural shyt on display to give people cause to believe. The Seven dont appear to do anything.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
The general reaction to the episode internet-wide. The whole "it wasn't like that in the books" backlash which is a convenient argument to use when it hurts a character someone likes but ignored when it helps a character someone likes

The Coli-bubble has reacted more balanced, because there aren't many Jaime stans on this forum

Sunday nights and Monday morning internet discussions and readings about Game of Thrones are usually fun and are entertaining well into the week, but it has been pretty unbearable because of the Jaime scene.

Hey...while I got you quoted....let me ask you something. What do you find so bad about the Shae change? I personally don't see how it will make much of a difference in anything. It made the Tyrion/Shae relationship more complex for the show which is a positive thing. It won't matter much for the trial....sure, you can sympathize a bit with Shae but I don't really think that it excuses the betrayal when she takes the stand. It will still be a devastating betrayal that will crush Tyrion and make the viewers sympathize with him, because the viewers know that he sent her away for her own good. It is not a secret that he loves her and wants the best for her. I don't see how the dynamic has changed.

If anything, it will make her murder even more shocking and will lend even more to the idea that Tyrion is a bit darker of a character than he has been portrayed on the show.
i because i felt like the Shae change kind of sugarcoats the blow she deals to tyrion when she jumps ship on him, i agree it is minor, but when characters do something gully i want it to be completely gully, not half-way :manny: some people just do fukked up shyt just to do it and i want to see shyt like that

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
...Still tho. It wouldn't be the same. Snow was bringing a new world order to Westeros - fukk them Black fools (Bowen Marsh esp!)
i mean all signs point to him being azor ahai so he might just end up being resurrected and it's a guarantee that everyone who witnessed that shyt would follow him without a shadow of a doubt