A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
So Doran is just dumb. Makes sense. Definitely a reach to just assume that Dany would just go with the agreement.

Real talk, she should have said DONE, and said peace the fukk out before shyt got hairy. Dorne + 3 dragons = victory. Simple as that I feel.

Victarian bout to change the game doe :lupe:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
So Doran is just dumb. Makes sense. Definitely a reach to just assume that Dany would just go with the agreement.

Real talk, she should have said DONE, and said peace the fukk out before shyt got hairy. Dorne + 3 dragons = victory. Simple as that I feel.

Victarian bout to change the game doe :lupe:
basically

do we ever know what happens with the dragon egg(s) that was in Braavos or nah :patrice: like where it came from and who has it now, i forgot a LOT of shyt so imma prolly start rereading aDwD in a couple days just to clarify some shyt but that was always a point of interest with me, if someone else manages to hatch a dragon it's gonna get :lupe: extremely fast, especially if they let them eat whatever they want so they can grow faster :lupe:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
People scheming to marry Dany (spelling :pacspit:)

Xaro Xohan Dahos
Hizdar Zo Loraq
Quentyn Martell
Jorah Mormont
Daario Nahaaris
Victarion Greyjoy

:merchant:[DOUBLEPOST=1397682531][/DOUBLEPOST]

Nah, I don't agree with this. Doran assumed Dany would marry Quentyn, and he assumed correctly. He just was unaware that her situation had changed and she already made a different political marraige

If she would marry Hizdar for Meereen, of course she would marry Quentyn for all of Westeros

The only dumb person is Quentyn. Perhaps that is why GRRM made him a POV, so we could understand why he would let himself be roasted by dragonfire. Quentyn the character was a necessary part of the story to set up the Aegon vs. Dany invevitability, but Quentyn the POV was a misstep from GRRM.

Doran isn't a dummy, he made the right move. Just made it too late.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I also think Doran knows/does/is willing. To do more than he lets on. I don't think anything the Dornish have done so far has been a mistake including the Red Vipers trip to KL. (besides Arianne's grand fukk up with Myrcella)

Think about this, Doran knows very well that without the Red Viper and the Sand Snakes he has no agents that can carry out his will elsewhere. He uses Arianne to get the Snakes back on his side but what of the coming threat of "Aegon"? Sending his son to Dany only could get results, either she marrys him and he has an entire army + dragons. Or his son dies and Dany owes him a blood debt, he sends Arianne to go and entice "Aegon" with dat mouth, and at the same time Sends Tyene, Nym and Obara to KL to deal with the remaining Lannisters. So in other words either by politics (Nym/Tyene), espionage (Sarella) or conquest (Arianne/BBQuentyn) Doran has a hand in virtually any outcome barring a total loss to either the Others or the Wildlings.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
I don't think Doran is dumb. I think we have more to see from him. A lot more. GRRM said that Doran "plays to win", for whatever that's worth.
And he might not have achieved much as far as revenge goes, but other than Oberyn(who got himself killed), not a single drop of Dornish blood was spilled in the War of 5 Kings. I'd say that's a pretty big acomplishment.

As for Quentyn, many people complained, but I liked his arc. He was a deconstruction of the typical fantasy "hero on a noble quest" trope. Much like Sandor is meant to dispel the romantic notions of knighthood, Quentyn is meant to dispel the romantic notions of being a hero. The point was that in 'real life' that's how quests like his end up more often than not, in tragedy.

And Quentyn was not dumb either. Just a dutiful boy who was handed a burden that was too large bear. It can't be easy knowing that the fate of your family and your entire people rests on your shoulders. In the end he tried his best, and came up short.

His death was sad, but in a comical sort of way:

"All of him, all of him was burning. Oh he thought. Then he started to scream"
GRRM is a fool for that one.:heh:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I also think Doran knows/does/is willing. To do more than he lets on. I don't think anything the Dornish have done so far has been a mistake including the Red Vipers trip to KL. (besides Arianne's grand fukk up with Myrcella)

Think about this, Doran knows very well that without the Red Viper and the Sand Snakes he has no agents that can carry out his will elsewhere. He uses Arianne to get the Snakes back on his side but what of the coming threat of "Aegon"? Sending his son to Dany only could get results, either she marrys him and he has an entire army + dragons. Or his son dies and Dany owes him a blood debt, he sends Arianne to go and entice "Aegon" with dat mouth, and at the same time Sends Tyene, Nym and Obara to KL to deal with the remaining Lannisters. So in other words either by politics (Nym/Tyene), espionage (Sarella) or conquest (Arianne/BBQuentyn) Doran has a hand in virtually any outcome barring a total loss to either the Others or the Wildlings.
dawg i really cant wait for the sand snakes to start moving :banderas: i legitimately feel like they are gonna bring a complete end to house Lannister(barring tyrion of course) like c'mon fam, you got a poison master, a knive master, and a spear gawdess slipping into King's Landing, all 3 of em as wild as their Pops and he ALONE was enough to have them lannisters shook. and there's still no telling what kind of skills Sarella is gonna come out of hiding with when she gets moving so that makes 4

and if Nymeria and Sarella look like
250px-Lady_nym_by_quickreaver.jpg

250px-Sarella_by_onionjulius-d3cwduj.png

sweet jesus
0y3jInq.png

can-t-wait-o.gif

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
rereading AFFC and ADWD combined so maybe i can actually stomach some of the Feast chapters that i straight up skipped out of character-weariness :ohlawd: damn you GRRM for introducing all those random nikkas at once (and trolling nikkas by changing known characters names without warning :aicmon:)

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My knowledge on the books is getting :flabbynsick:
I haven't been keeping up with the sample chapters being released, any breh kind enough to link them? :lupe:
In the correct order :sadcam:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
My knowledge on the books is getting :flabbynsick:
I haven't been keeping up with the sample chapters being released, any breh kind enough to link them? :lupe:
In the correct order :sadcam:

im staying away from the sample ones :yeshrug: all it's gonna do is make you more thirsty :ufdup: toughen up, Van

although i had to read the arya one cuz that's my nikka :jawalrus:

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
dawg i really cant wait for the sand snakes to start moving :banderas: i legitimately feel like they are gonna bring a complete end to house Lannister(barring tyrion of course) like c'mon fam, you got a poison master, a knive master, and a spear gawdess slipping into King's Landing, all 3 of em as wild as their Pops and he ALONE was enough to have them lannisters shook. and there's still no telling what kind of skills Sarella is gonna come out of hiding with when she gets moving so that makes 4

and if Nymeria and Sarella look like
250px-Lady_nym_by_quickreaver.jpg

250px-Sarella_by_onionjulius-d3cwduj.png

sweet jesus
0y3jInq.png

can-t-wait-o.gif

Lannisters were pretty much done unless Jamie gets his shyt together and Cersi is the downfall of that house.

Of course if Dany sides with Tyrion then it could be a wrap. But I do not see her siding with the Lannisters considering the way they betrayed her family but then again her father was a mad man.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
rereading AFFC and ADWD combined so maybe i can actually stomach some of the Feast chapters that i straight up skipped out of character-weariness :ohlawd: damn you GRRM for introducing all those random nikkas at once (and trolling nikkas by changing known characters names without warning :aicmon:)

Reek it rhymes with peek.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Can you explain that theory?

A Compendium of Theories - General (ASoIaF) - A Forum of Ice and Fire

"Varys is a Blackfyre. Aegon is the son of Illyrio and Serra who is Varys sister. Varys and Illyrio as information brokers were aware that Aerys sent Steffon Baratheon to the Free Cities to look for a bride for Rhaegar but could not find someone of Valyrian blood and sufficient high birth. Illyrio married the daughter of a Pentos Noble to give him sufficient noble status while Varys left for Kings Landing. Illyrio had his wife disposed of and then married Varys sister with the intention of marrying their son to a Targaryen heir and then eliminating any competition for the throne..."

A bunch of theories in that link, enter at your own discretion guys, some of them might turn out to be true.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
A Compendium of Theories - General (ASoIaF) - A Forum of Ice and Fire

"Varys is a Blackfyre. Aegon is the son of Illyrio and Serra who is Varys sister. Varys and Illyrio as information brokers were aware that Aerys sent Steffon Baratheon to the Free Cities to look for a bride for Rhaegar but could not find someone of Valyrian blood and sufficient high birth. Illyrio married the daughter of a Pentos Noble to give him sufficient noble status while Varys left for Kings Landing. Illyrio had his wife disposed of and then married Varys sister with the intention of marrying their son to a Targaryen heir and then eliminating any competition for the throne..."

A bunch of theories in that link, enter at your own discretion guys, some of them might turn out to be true.
:gladbron: