A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
i just assumed there was more reasoning behind it than that.

i knew about the life part of stannis
I get ya, I just think you might be thinking about it too hard.

Its kind of like asking "why does winter last years in Westeros"....thats just the universe they are living in and the rules are dictated by the writer

That is not meant to be condescending in any way, so if I comes off that way I apologize

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
brehs that princess and the queen is a good read. im really feeling the history of the targaryens. these people are crazy and blood hungry lol. it would be crazy if by the end of the story we end up with more than just dany's 3 dragons. maybe whoever jaqen is working for hatches 1, maybe jon gets that legendary ice dragon!lol what if victarion gets that sea dragon? what if melisandre hatches the ice dragon for jon and another 1 for stannis? :lupe:

interesting tho, it seems u dont have to be a full targ or even a targ at all to ride a dragon. so i guess dany's co-riders can be anybody. maybe the theory of tyrion riding with jon and dany is half true. he has always dreamed of dragons, maybe with his guile he ends up earning the trust of one of the dragons without actually being a targ. i never liked the tyrion is a secret targ theory anyway.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
brehs that princess and the queen is a good read. im really feeling the history of the targaryens. these people are crazy and blood hungry lol. it would be crazy if by the end of the story we end up with more than just dany's 3 dragons. maybe whoever jaqen is working for hatches 1, maybe jon gets that legendary ice dragon!lol what if victarion gets that sea dragon? what if melisandre hatches the ice dragon for jon and another 1 for stannis? :lupe:

interesting tho, it seems u dont have to be a full targ or even a targ at all to ride a dragon. so i guess dany's co-riders can be anybody. maybe the theory of tyrion riding with jon and dany is half true. he has always dreamed of dragons, maybe with his guile he ends up earning the trust of one of the dragons without actually being a targ. i never liked the tyrion is a secret targ theory anyway.

The Princess and the Queen definitely does lend a little bit of credence to the idea that Jaquen is working with Varys and is going to hatch a Dragon Egg for Aegon. There are a ton of holes in that theory to go along with the evidence towards it, so I don't think I believe it.

Or perhaps there won't be a second "dance" and it is just a history lesson from GRRM rather than a foreshadowing :manny:
Or perhaps the new "dance" is just a fight between two metaphorical dragons (Dany and Aegon) :manny:
Or maybe I will just kill myself rather than have to wait 6 years for A Dream of Spring :manny:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
The Princess and the Queen definitely does lend a little bit of credence to the idea that Jaquen is working with Varys and is going to hatch a Dragon Egg for Aegon. There are a ton of holes in that theory to go along with the evidence towards it, so I don't think I believe it.

Or perhaps there won't be a second "dance" and it is just a history lesson from GRRM rather than a foreshadowing :manny:
Or perhaps the new "dance" is just a fight between two metaphorical dragons (Dany and Aegon) :manny:
Or maybe I will just kill myself rather than have to wait 6 years for A Dream of Spring :manny:

i just finished it a little while ago. a part of me wants to know more about how aegon the young ended up becoming aegon the dragonbane and became king after aegon the 2nd. the shyt ends with aegon the 3rd being his prisoner so im very intrigued.

but at the same time, i want this fakkit to finish what he started instead of sidetracking to other stories. as interesting as the history and lore of westeros is, i rather he write all that shyt after he's done with this series.

how dope would a similar short story be about robert's rebellion, aegon's conquests, the age of heroes, more targaryen lore, some stark lore, some stories about the young dragon or aemon the dragonknight :noah: i swear this shyt has brought out the super nerd in me and i cant get enough. i search for new material everyday :pachaha:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
So that Vanity Fair interview confirmed 7 or 8 seasons of GoT, no more need for speculation. 3-4 years and we are guaranteed an ending to the story....I gotta say I'm at peace with that even though I would rather read Dream of Spring first.

We already knew that the show writers knew the ending but the article also confirmed that they have a map of each character's entire story arc. So even though a lot of detail will be missing, we should get a fairly accurate representation of the true story.

I don't think it will take away too much from Dream of Spring either, I read the first 2 and 2/3rds books after watching season 3 and although obviously a lot of the shock was taken away, I still thoroughly enjoyed my reads.

i swear this shyt has brought out the super nerd in me and i cant get enough. i search for new material everyday :pachaha:

It fills a void that Lost left behind for me. Until GOT/ASOIAF, Lost had been the only show I had ever really invested time and energy into the mythology. We all know how much Lost fukked it up too, so I really never thought I would experience that again because in the end it was so frustrating. I am confident that ASOIAF is not a waste though, considering there is a clearly mapped out ending in place and there are companion pieces in the works that will fully explore the entire universe and mythology. I see no chance for disappointment here, even if Jon and Dany end up married and on the throne :gag:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
So that Vanity Fair interview confirmed 7 or 8 seasons of GoT, no more need for speculation. 3-4 years and we are guaranteed an ending to the story....I gotta say I'm at peace with that even though I would rather read Dream of Spring first.

We already knew that the show writers knew the ending but the article also confirmed that they have a map of each character's entire story arc. So even though a lot of detail will be missing, we should get a fairly accurate representation of the true story.

I don't think it will take away too much from Dream of Spring either, I read the first 2 and 2/3rds books after watching season 3 and although obviously a lot of the shock was taken away, I still thoroughly enjoyed my reads.

It fills a void that Lost left behind for me. Until GOT/ASOIAF, Lost had been the only show I had ever really invested time and energy into the mythology. We all know how much Lost fukked it up too, so I really never thought I would experience that again because in the end it was so frustrating. I am confident that ASOIAF is not a waste though, considering there is a clearly mapped out ending in place and there are companion pieces in the works that will fully explore the entire universe and mythology. I see no chance for disappointment here, even if Jon and Dany end up married and on the throne :gag:

yea i feel u. i started out as a show watcher so im not gonna be too terribly dissapointed if we see the ending on TV before the books. im not a book snob like alot of ppl who read the novels before the show came out. as much as i love the books, i just want to find out how the shyt ends already. i wish i was privy to GRRM's convos with benioff and weiss. if i knew how it ends, it STILL wouldnt stop me from reading the books.

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yep, we definitely all lost

Website is down, but some Brazilian interview with GRRM regarding WoW:

"Next year, maybe. This year I doubt"

The word maybe when he mentions next year is pretty telling as well. The word probably would have given me hope, but maybe for him puts even 2015 into serious question

1463.gif

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I couldnt finish princess and the queen:sadcam:

Too many names, and too many similar names. Just couldnt follow it well and got bored of the writing style.

Will wait until TWoiaF book to get a more concise summary of the events

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
GRRM strikes me as someone I wouldn't like in real life...Dude hates on fanfic, gets mad that fans are hype and want to read more of the story and somehow manages to brush off that he needs the better half of a decade to write each bit of the story.

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
GRRM strikes me as someone I wouldn't like in real life...Dude hates on fanfic, gets mad that fans are hype and want to read more of the story and somehow manages to brush off that he needs the better half of a decade to write each bit of the story.
Word. He seems to lack respect for the same people that made him a multimillionaire

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
It's like you wanna steal off on him but don't wanna take the chance on him dying from it and not finishing shyt :heh:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Finally getting into The Hedge Knight. Very interesting so far. Its really weird to see the grandfathers and great grandfathers of people that I've read about, knowing a little about some of their fates. Very fukking cool shyt.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
GRRM/SOFAI is gonna end up the same way Frank Herbert and the Dune series did, this nikka is gonna die and we're gonn have to deal with someone else(with inferior writing skills) finishing up the books (while adding shyt they made up into it) :smh:

atleast GRRM gave the show people the jist of the rest of the story tho, I'll never know how Herbert truly wanted Dune to end :sadbron:

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Some will happy, others will be :snoop: . New story coming..
. . . and much sooner than expected.

Our good friends at Bantam Spectra have just informed me and my partner-in-crime Gardner Dozois that they have moved up the publication date of our next mammoth crossgenre anthology ROGUES. . . to June 17. Yes, this year. Three months from now, in other words.

If you enjoyed WARRIORS and DANGEROUS WOMEN, we think you'll love ROGUES. It may be our strongest anthology yet. We have some amazing writers and some incredible stories in this one. The table of contents, as previously announced:

George R.R. Martin “Everybody Loves a Rogue” (Introduction)
Joe Abercrombie “Tough Times All Over”
Gillian Flynn “What Do You Do?”
Matthew Hughes “The Inn of the Seven Blessings”
Joe R. Lansdale “Bent Twig”
Michael Swanwick “Tawny Petticoats”
David Ball “Provenance”
Carrie Vaughn “The Roaring Twenties”
Scott Lynch “A Year and a Day in Old Theradane”
Bradley Denton “Bad Brass”
Cherie Priest “Heavy Metal”
Daniel Abraham “The Meaning of Love”
Paul Cornell “A Better Way to Die”
Steven Saylor “Ill Seen in Tyre”
Garth Nix “A Cargo of Ivories”
Walter Jon Williams “Diamonds From Tequila”
Phyllis Eisenstein “The Caravan to Nowhere”
Lisa Tuttle “The Curious Affair of the Dead Wives”
Neil Gaiman “How the Marquis Got His Coat Back”
Connie Willis “Now Showing”
Patrick Rothfuss “The Lightning Tree”

Twenty stories not enough for you?

Okay, okay, we've decided to add a twenty-first, for all you fans of fake history.

"The Princess and the Queen," Archmaester Gyldayn's somewhat abbreviated account of the Dance of the Dragons, got a great response from all the folks who read it in DANGEROUS WOMEN, so we've dipped back into the archmaester's somewhat disorganized piles of scrolls and crumbling manuscripts, and brought forth another piece of his unpublished history. "The Rogue Prince, or, the King's Brother," will tell the story of the years leading up to the calamitious events of "The Princess and the Queen" during the reign of King Viserys I Targaryen, with particular attention to the role played by the king's brother, Prince Daemon, a rogue if there ever was one. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as you did "The Princess and the Queen."

(And yes, sadly, "The Rogue Prince" is an abridged account as well. For the full version, you will all need to wait some years, until we publish the complete history of House Targaryen in the GRRMarillion... which, by the way, I've decided I am going to call FIRE AND BLOOD, since the GRRMarillion joke has grown somewhat stale by now).

We're got something for everyone in ROGUES -- SF, mystery, historical fiction, epic fantasy, sword and sorcery, comedy, tragedy, crime stories, mainstream. And rogues, cads, scalawags, con men, thieves, and scoundrels of all descriptions. If you love Harry Flashman and Cugel the Clever, as I do, this is the book for you.