A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
What I liked most about the essay, something that I never would have really put together on my own, was that that she accomplished her goal of creating peace and yet peace was the failure, not war. shyt is :mindblown:
Of course, if at the end when it appears she is finally ready to wreck shyt and it turns out that George pulls a swerve on us in Winds of Winter and she continues with her inner conflicts well that would be terrible....but I do think she is ready to turn a corner. George fukked up by splittling up the battle of Meereen into a new book, made a lot of people hate Dany (myself being one)

i hope he wraps up the mereen shyt in the first half of the book. if the book doesnt at least end with dany landing in westeros people will be pissed.

the part i enjoyed most about the essay is the way he broke down daario and hizdahr. i would have never put that together (along with everything else in the essay). what i thought was mostly mistakes in the plot, turns out to actually be some of his best writing. im reading the jon stuff now, hopefully its as good.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
It's good enough that I actually approve of him getting stabbed now :lupe:

yea he definitely had that shyt coming. i know the hardhome thing was a hard decision but he should have cut his losses and let those ppl die. if he really wanted to save them, he should have sent out thormund with some food to get them, not 11 ships.

that shyt has me convinced he is gonna live on inside of ghost til mel brings him back tho. i wonder how they gonna play that out on tv

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
honestly I think this series has already jumped the shark as far as characters 'dying' and then coming back in some form. if I wanted zombies, I'd stick to TWD :pachaha:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
honestly I think this series has already jumped the shark as far as characters 'dying' and then coming back in some form. if I wanted zombies, I'd stick to TWD :pachaha:

yea im kind of tired of that too, but then again its a fantasy series. if we gonna accept dragons and wargs and face changing, we might as well accept the resurrections too.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
yea im kind of tired of that too, but then again its a fantasy series. if we gonna accept dragons and wargs and face changing, we might as well accept the resurrections too.

it just seems like a cheap plot device at some point. especially when it's used as a 'surprise' for a character you though was dead. I was cool with Lord Beric, because we never really thought he was dead. we only heard after the fact that he had been cut down and brought back. Cat, well at least they kept the reveal in the same book, but I imagine show watchers are gonna bug when they find out. The Mountain and The Hound (both speculation at the moment) is where it really started wearing thin on me

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
it just seems like a cheap plot device at some point. especially when it's used as a 'surprise' for a character you though was dead. I was cool with Lord Beric, because we never really thought he was dead. we only heard after the fact that he had been cut down and brought back. Cat, well at least they kept the reveal in the same book, but I imagine show watchers are gonna bug when they find out. The Mountain and The Hound (both speculation at the moment) is where it really started wearing thin on me

yea the zombie mountain thing is over the top. the hound not so much cause it isnt a resurrection i dont think. i think its more like the hound survived his wounds and was nursed back to health by the priests. headless zombie mountain is wild tho :heh:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
HBO has just announced “The Epic Fan Experience”, a Season 4 premiere screening event to be held March 20th in Brooklyn. 7,000 fans will be treated to the premiere episode, costumes and props from the exhibition, Iron Throne photo ops, and the promise of more special surprises. So get ready, because going on sale for $15 this Thursday, the tickets are sure to sell out fast.

:gladbron: im in there brehs!!

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/7...on-4-premiere-at-barclays-center-on-march-20/

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
yea the zombie mountain thing is over the top. the hound not so much cause it isnt a resurrection i dont think. i think its more like the hound survived his wounds and was nursed back to health by the priests. headless zombie mountain is wild tho :heh:

The Hound is kind of different. but we were left thinking he was dying, asking Arya for "mercy" and whatnot. plus Rorge was seen with his helmet. and all the ambiguous shyt dude on the Quiet Isle said. I definitely feel we were meant to believe he's dead, but there's 'clues' that maybe he's not

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
There is 1 resurrected character in the series, Cat. There was 1 other who died resurrecting her, Beric.

Why is The Hound in the conversation? He never died on page. Does Brienne count? Do Bran and Rickon count? Does Davos count?

Gregor is dead and not resurrected, Ser Robert Strong is something else that merely uses his body as a vehicle. So we have 1 zombie and 1 resurrected character.

Furthermore, the main antagonist group in the book is a group of ice people that kill then turn their victims into a zombie army. And we complaining about Ser Robert Stong?:patrice:

I'm confused where the problem is here, other than the fact that Cat never should have been resurrected.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
There is 1 resurrected character in the series, Cat. There was 1 other who died resurrecting her, Beric.

Why is The Hound in the conversation? He never died on page. Does Brienne count? Do Bran and Rickon count? Does Davos count?

Gregor is dead and not resurrected, Ser Robert Strong is something else that merely uses his body as a vehicle. So we have 1 zombie and 1 resurrected character.

Furthermore, the main antagonist group in the book is a group of ice people that kill then turn their victims into a zombie army. And we complaining about Ser Robert Stong?:patrice:

I'm confused where the problem is here, other than the fact that Cat never should have been resurrected.

I'm not saying all these are the same situation. but it's a reoccurring theme, as shown by how many examples you came up with. we can add Mance to the list. Arya when The Hound hits her in the head with an axe. Tyrion when he drowned. and often they're left as a 'cliffhanger' at the end of a chapter, only to be reveled several chapters/books later that they're still alive. nothing's wrong with this if it's used sparingly, but at some point it's too much IMO. such as the idea that Jon will be 'killed', warg into Ghost, and then somehow come back as a 'man'

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
What I liked most about the essay, something that I never would have really put together on my own, was that that she accomplished her goal of creating peace and yet peace was the failure, not war. shyt is :mindblown:
haven't read the essay yall are talkin about yet but i thought Martin did a good job showing us that she was great at conquering but not at organizing shyt once she took it over, it's been like that ever since Drogo died, she could barely handle the small group of people she was with, shyt even at quarth she wasn't really in control of them, they were just crashing there cuz she didn't have a clue of what to do next.

i highly doubt she makes a big enough turn that she'd be able to organize a kingdom by herself, that's what you have people like tyrion and varys for

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
haven't read the essay yall are talkin about yet but i thought Martin did a good job showing us that she was great at conquering but not at organizing shyt once she took it over, it's been like that ever since Drogo died, she could barely handle the small group of people she was with, shyt even at quarth she wasn't really in control of them, they were just crashing there cuz she didn't have a clue of what to do next.

i highly doubt she makes a big enough turn that she'd be able to organize a kingdom by herself, that's what you have people like tyrion and varys for
Read the essay, the conclusion of it is that she has finally realized she isnt meant to organize peace. She was born into fire and blood, and she is about to embrace it. She gonna roast Meeren breh. Ita a good read, check it out