A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
BTW, it took me a while to realize, but Melisandre really isn't as good at this fortune telling red priestess shyt as she thinks she is. This dude Moqorro is a beast already, and I know he's got some tricks up his sleeve. Dude survived out there for THAT LONG. Just hanging on. But he knew he was going to survive. Dude's ability to read the fire seems legit.

And Victarion's swag is top notch right now. I mean, dude's got the GOAT name, and is giving all his ships GOAT names. Ghost and Shade "For I mean them to return and haunt these Yunkishmen."??? :wow:

This dude is the truth :ohlawd:

Last edited:

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Finished it. shyt was good. Martells got some foolish stupid motherfukkers in their family, man. Quentyn had to be the dumbest tho. I mean just dumb shyt

And hopefully we get the old Dany back, she was more or less just annoying this book. Honestly, she has been since she stepped foot in Mereen. Targs aren't slave saving tree hugging fakkits. They'reCONQUERERS. Dany still has a soft woman's heart.

Lemme say tho if somehow she convinces Jhaqo and his khal to fight with her, combined with the Iron Fleet if they really are bout that life and whatever ships they can get their hands on, plus Aegon* bout to take Storm's End...

:whew:

Plus Kevan is gone now, so is Pycelle, I actually liked Kevan so that kinda bugged/really surprised me. Tommen might be fukked brehs

Last edited:

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Tommen really is a :rudy: character the more I think about him. I hated joffrey but even he had more use to the story. Myrcella possibly becoming Queen is even more interesting. I assumed it was written that Jon was heir? Maybe I just accepted it then and there. I don't know what the hell Bran's story can do for westeros? Jon's story is what interests me the most right now, then stannis/the north and finally sansa. Six am so I can ramble away without any real direction

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Brehs, I dunno what the general concensus was for Dance with Dragons, but I'm nearing the end, and its gotten a lot better than I thought it was at first. Its gotten a shyt load more interesting. Just finished Asha's chapter where the banker showed up to Stannis with Theon, fake Arya, and Asha's people. Brehs. Hope that nikka Karstark gets burrrrrrrned. I mean, I'm pretty sure they had instructed the banker with the information to tell Stannis. Crazy how he got there in time, but I guess they've been waiting there in the "horrible storm" which actually seems to have saved their lives.

Starting a chapter with Victarion. I hope this dude doesn't die a lame death or die at all, man. This dude might need to calm down with the whole banging Dany thing, but he definitely deserves to serve her.
I thought DWD was easily the worst book in the series. Every time I saw Dany or Tyrion's name at the top of a chapter I groaned and just wanted the next chapter to start. Unfortunately they make up most of the book so that didn't work out well.

BUUUTTTT.....I just recently found a blog that has some great essays about the book and now I already am excited for a re-read. They really flesh out the underlying themes of Dany's story and show that while yes, it is a bit bloated, it really did serve a purpose.

Anyone like me who wasn't big on DWD should at least read the Dany essays on this site:
http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com...reenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

Dat Migo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Boston
Finished it. shyt was good. Martells got some foolish stupid motherfukkers in their family, man. Quentyn had to be the dumbest tho. I mean just dumb shyt

And hopefully we get the old Dany back, she was more or less just annoying this book. Honestly, she has been since she stepped foot in Mereen. Targs aren't slave saving tree hugging fakkits. They'reCONQUERERS. Dany still has a soft woman's heart.

Lemme say tho if somehow she convinces Jhaqo and his khal to fight with her, combined with the Iron Fleet if they really are bout that life and whatever ships they can get their hands on, plus Aegon* bout to take Storm's End...

:whew:

Plus Kevan is gone now, so is Pycelle, I actually liked Kevan so that kinda bugged/really surprised me. Tommen might be fukked brehs

Now you gotta read the Twow sample chapters. There are like 4 out right now with another one coming out this month. Then there are the Dunk and Egg novellas, I haven't read them yet but I heard they are good. Also, the princess and the queen novella. Finally, that reread :ohlawd:. Find all that shyt you missed on the first read. Try this method when reading book 4&5. I heard it greatly improves the reading experience: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it will probably be a new character, or someone we've barely encountered. one of the Archmaesters I guess

in general Kings Landing is in disarray. Kevan was regent, so that pretty much leaves Mace Tyrell in charge

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It wont happen but imagine Jaqen H'agar killing and becoming the new maester

If he is in league with Varys (possible due to dragon connection and being in the black cells) it may make sense:ohlawd:

it's definitely an opportunity for someone to make a 'power move'. I was thinking about the moves the Faith made with their new High Septon

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
I thought DWD was easily the worst book in the series. Every time I saw Dany or Tyrion's name at the top of a chapter I groaned and just wanted the next chapter to start. Unfortunately they make up most of the book so that didn't work out well.

BUUUTTTT.....I just recently found a blog that has some great essays about the book and now I already am excited for a re-read. They really flesh out the underlying themes of Dany's story and show that while yes, it is a bit bloated, it really did serve a purpose.

Anyone like me who wasn't big on DWD should at least read the Dany essays on this site:
http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com...reenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

:whew: i just spent the last hour reading that whole thing. i never looked at her chapters that way. i was never really bored with them or hated them but i never felt they were particularly exciting either. that blog spot makes me want to re-read the last book for a 3rd time tho.

she about to bring the heat to westeros :lupe:

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
:whew: i just spent the last hour reading that whole thing. i never looked at her chapters that way. i was never really bored with them or hated them but i never felt they were particularly exciting either. that blog spot makes me want to re-read the last book for a 3rd time tho.

she about to bring the heat to westeros :lupe:

What I liked most about the essay, something that I never would have really put together on my own, was that that she accomplished her goal of creating peace and yet peace was the failure, not war. shyt is :mindblown:
Of course, if at the end when it appears she is finally ready to wreck shyt and it turns out that George pulls a swerve on us in Winds of Winter and she continues with her inner conflicts well that would be terrible....but I do think she is ready to turn a corner. George fukked up by splittling up the battle of Meereen into a new book, made a lot of people hate Dany (myself being one)