A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
yeah, from 'outside the box', IMO the story is about the Starks and Danny. I think Bran will play some sort of pivotal role

Bran certainly will play a huge role and so will a lot of side characters, but unfortunately I think he is permanently stuck in the cave just like Bloodraven was and in the end he won't have anything to do with Winterfell or anything south of the wall. Rickon has that on lock.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Bran certainly will play a huge role and so will a lot of side characters, but unfortunately I think he is permanently stuck in the cave just like Bloodraven was and in the end he won't have anything to do with Winterfell or anything south of the wall. Rickon has that on lock.

The Children of the Forest probably have something to do with keeping the White Walkers dormant, which might be the the reason for Bran's entire storyline. Keeping them at bay and fixing things north of the Wall for good.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I think HBO should film whatever ending he's already told them and he should just take his time writing the books at his own pace....even if it means a alternate ending from the tv series

nah. it would mean a lot more people would know what that ending is (actors, production crew, etc) and greatly increase the likelihood of it 'leaking'

and I don't know why they should be in a hurry to get it on film. as long as it exists somewhere, it can always be filmed later

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Talking with @beanz in the show thread about Northern sovereignty in the end, it got me thinking a bit and I really think that no matter what we WANT to happen, I just don't see any proper resolution that doesn't involve Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen sitting on the Iron Throne in the end, possibly married to Dany or possibly a split kingdom with Jon in the North and Dany in the south.

I know that people are sour on the 'obvious' ending with Jon&Dany, but this was supposed to be a trilogy when it started and all the seeds were planted in book 1. GRRM is trying to avoid a Lost-type ending and is going to stick with his original vision.

I think we can all agree that Aegon is either a fake or he is legit and will die. No way he sits on the throne to finish the series. Dany I personally think should find the house with the red door and end her story there, I think it will be more poetic. But she is probably about to wreck shyt in WoW and prove herself an actual leader so the throne is still open for her. With Aegon out of the picture, a Rhaegar/Lyanna marriage (likely) makes Jon the rightful Targaryen heir. He also was named in Robb's will as the rightful heir to the King in the North title. He also is likely Azor Ahai and will save the kingdom from the Others. He is going to unite the kingdom after being released from the Night's Watch vows with his death and resurrection.

Stannis is going to break before he bends and unfortunately will die, most likely a dutiful and worthy death. Dorne will support Jon, Howland Reed will make sure the North supports Jon. The series will end with a tattered and bloody kingdom, but one that is completely united.

Anyone else see any other ending even making any sense?

i have so many theories swirling in my head about how its gonna end that i dont even know what to write. i have no idea what the events will be, but i think jon definitely ends up as king of the 7 kingdoms. i think danarys will die at some point, maybe fighting fake aegon. i think aegon is a blackfyre from the female line. GRRM makes sure to point out that the female line isnt dead a couple of times(plus illyrio waxing poetic about his ex wife with her silver hair and lilac eyes). plus the fact that the golden company have given him their total allegiance and already knew who he was before lord connington tells them. maybe they know he is a blackfyre and let connington keep believing he is rhaegars son. i dont see the golden company so quick to jump behind a targaryen since they were started by a blackfyre and all of them are kids and grandkids of lords exiled by the targaryens. if anything they probably have known about aegon from the start and were gonna use danarys and viserys to get to the 7 kingdoms and wait for aegon before turning their backs. thats probably where the "beware the mummers dragon" prophecy comes from. the mummer being varys, who many ppl say was the one that whispered in the mad kings ear and made him go nuts with paranoia to begin with.

i can see danarys and aegon going off on each other in a new war of the dragons. maybe danarys finally gets to kings landing and finds aegon already sitting there. maybe she dies thru some betrayal. maybe jon finds out and accepts who he is and decides to go to kings landing to save his aunt(danarys). so many possibilities.

also, i been thinking maybe jon ends up with sansa. maybe sansa ends up exposing petyr after he kills robin. she reveals who she is and gets the vale's support. with petyr and robin out of the picture, that would make harold the heir the lord of the vale, but maybe sansa doesnt marry him since her new friends in the vale already put the idea in her head that he is a manwhore who already has a b*stard. those lords in the vale who have been wanting to enter the war on the side of the starks since the whole thing began, might just do that when king jon rides south.

i know sansa and jon were raised as if they were brother and sister and are actually cousins, but sansa never thought of him as a brother. they make it clear she and jon were never close and that she treated him like a b*stard just like her mother. so neither of them would really be grossed out by it like jon and arya would be since they were close. i mean i really dont see any other candidates to be jon's queen unless the story ends with him being single.

as for the greyjoys, idk. hard to tell whats gonna happen with crow's eye, asha and victarion. unless asha ends up being his queen but i dont think thats likely.

if jon becomes king, who becomes the new nights watch commander? what if he gives it to a wildling? or maybe ser jorah gets that to make it up to his father since his dying wish was for jorah to earn back his honor by taking the black. maybe jorah fights side by side with jon against aegon.

im just thinking out loud. its very interesting to think of all the possibilities tho. its the only part of waiting for the last books that i enjoy. i let my imagination run wild with what can happen.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I don't think we'll get an ending where any one man becomes king, and lives happily ever after. the Iron Throne cuts those that try to sit on it

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
I don't think we'll get an ending where any one man becomes king, and lives happily ever after. the Iron Throne cuts those that try to sit on it

yea i dont think it will be a happily ever after. i think the book ends with a shytload of problems for jon, but i really feel like he will be the final king when the story ends. if he is azhor azai and his is the song of ice and fire, i cant see it any other way. but i agree it wont be a happily ever after. like @Adam3000 says it will probably be a broken kingdom that he inherits. maybe highgarden and the iron islands in rebellion and casterly rock. idk.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
i cant wait to see freys hanging, tyrion in essos, lord connington and aegon landing in storms end with the golden company, and jon snow chopping off janos slynt's head. oh and bran and his training with bloodraven.

the whole Aegon arc got me like :banderas:, can't wait to see who they cast for that and my girl Arianne Martell who aint afraid to use that thang for political gain.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
the whole Aegon arc got me like :banderas:, can't wait to see who they cast for that and my girl Arianne Martell who aint afraid to use that thang for political gain.

we gonna find out soon enough after this season. all of them should be due to start popping up next season. im hyped.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
as for the greyjoys, idk. hard to tell whats gonna happen with crow's eye, asha and victarion. unless asha ends up being his queen but i dont think thats likely.

if jon becomes king, who becomes the new nights watch commander? what if he gives it to a wildling? or maybe ser jorah gets that to make it up to his father since his dying wish was for jorah to earn back his honor by taking the black. maybe jorah fights side by side with jon against aegon.

Great Questions...

I think the Greyjoy arc is to show just HOW Dany gets to the three kindoms, they sail eastward past Yi Ti with Victarion's fleet and what's the westernmost point of Westeros.....The Iron Islands. Victarion takes over kills Eureon and becomes Lord of Pyke. Asha helps take back Winterfell with the assistance of Stannis (who will die, revealing Jon to Melisandre as Azor Ahai), Zombie Jon and Theon (who will die as well, willingly accepting an execution). I like the though of Jorah becoming Lord Commander of the Nights Watch :salute:, but in some way i feel he will die protecting Dany.

The true wild card here is "Aegon" and the Dornish. If they side with the mummer's dragon, thats curtains for them. But i somehow feel that Arianne will meet with Jon and become queen. Its too set up, she a POV in the first chapter she ever appears in, a more competent leader than her brother ever could be ( even if she is a poor judge of character i.e. Darkstar) and it would be poetic justice for Doran to see his daughter and not his sister as queen. I think her meeting with "Aegon" is a perfect way for her to meet Dany, who will meet Jon who will support her in reclaiming the throne.

But whats REALLY interesting is the Tyrion/Jamie card. We know what the imp wants, he wants Casterly Rock. Jamie is becoming more and more fed up with the politics in KL and the direction his sister has taken the Realm. We know that Jamie isn't above being the bad guy for the greater good, the question is would he go against his own sister for that same greater good. I mean with Cersei disgraced, Kevan dead, Tywin dead, and Tyrion missing he is the ONLY Lannister of status that is ANYWHERE close to King Tommen.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
yeah, from 'outside the box', IMO the story is about the Starks and Danny. I think Bran will play some sort of pivotal role

more like it is about Danny, Jon Snow and Tyrion. Starks are a dead and gone homie.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
more like it is about Danny, Jon Snow and Tyrion. Starks are a dead and gone homie.

Bran, Rickon, Arya, and Sansa are all still alive (and un-cat is sort of alive). does any other house/set have so many POV characters? I don't think the Starks were just fodder in this story

I agree Tyrion is a major character, and I'm not sure where he fits. I don't like the idea that him, Danny, and Jon are all Targaryens, and that's what the story is about. the Targaryens were an inbreeding monarchy, and not without their own flaws

again, I'm looking at this from 'outside the box' as far as story progression, finality, morals, etc. I agree that could be a fallacious way to look at it, but I expect the overall story to have a 'point'

edit: speaking of who's still 'alive'. last we saw Jon he was getting stabbed in a place that's usually considered fatal...

Last edited: