A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
Rickon is on Skagos which is the island with Unicorns and it's people are descendants of the first men, supposedly savage cannibals and everyone is scared of them/the island...So if the people there get behind Rickon (since they are related and Rickon's lineage), then Rickon's got a scary squad behind him...and maybe some unicorns.
:leon:

That introduces another dimension if GRRM explores it further. He has a lot on his plate though and Rickon is so young, possibly too young to make any decisions.

GRMM needs to give us some closure though. If not, he needs to pair up with another writer that can carry the torch.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC

That introduces another dimension if GRRM explores it further. He has a lot on his plate though and Rickon is so young, possibly too young to make any decisions.

GRMM needs to give us some closure though. If not, he needs to pair up with another writer that can carry the torch.

He ain't gonna let anyone carry the torch. Dude even has a problem with fan fictions using his characters. Dude comes of douchey in interviews sometimes in general.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
He ain't gonna let anyone carry the torch. Dude even has a problem with fan fictions using his characters. Dude comes of douchey in interviews sometimes in general.

Don't know why he has a problem with fan fic writers :beli: He done gave his ending to HBO and the show is already a watered down version of his work.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

he got Osha(:shaq:) with him he'll be aight. and i HIGHLY doubt the people on the island are actually cannibals, just seems like a safe-guard to keep randos from showing up

watch Rickon come back on some
Dumbledore_fighting_the_Inferi.gif.gif
type shyt

Last edited:

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
Is it worth getting into this series if I've seen all of the show so far?

I'm an avid reader, but it typically go for sci-fi, supernatural, or just thriller type dramas and what not. For instance, I'm currently reading American Gods. I've just never had a good time reading fantasy, honestly. Disregarding Harry Potter, the closest I've come to really enjoying something even close to "fantasy" would be maybe...Timeline? And that's more so just like medieval sci fi lol. I think I'll give it a shot after I finish the one I'm reading. Fantasy novels just seem to lay it all on a little too thick for my tastes. I understand creating a new world and ensuring your reader gets lost in it, but yo I get lost in it
Dude I'm not much of a reader at all. Prior to game of thrones, I haven't read any full books for my own leisure in about a decade. Despite that, I read all 5 of these books and loved that shyt. If u like the show u will love the books, trust me

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
I have noticed people referencing Rickon. I barely remember seeing him mentioned and know almost nothing about him. Where are you guys getting these assumptions about Rickon?
They are really just rumors. .the last time any pov character actually layed eyes on him is when he and bran split up

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I have noticed people referencing Rickon. I barely remember seeing him mentioned and know almost nothing about him. Where are you guys getting these assumptions about Rickon?

The northern lords will back Rickon once they find out he is alive. He will inherit Winterfell since Robb and Bran are out of the picture and it really doesn't seem to fit Jon's character that he would accept Winterfell while Rickon is still living (even if Robb legitimized him as a Stark before death)

Davos is also currently on a mission looking for him, as Wyman Manderly has used Rickon's rescue as payment to join up with Stannis to fight the Bolton's

Rickon definitely has a part here, but all he has done so far is follow Bran around then disappear with Osha

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
The northern lords will back Rickon once they find out he is alive. He will inherit Winterfell since Robb and Bran are out of the picture and it really doesn't seem to fit Jon's character that he would accept Winterfell while Rickon is still living (even if Robb legitimized him as a Stark before death)

Davos is also currently on a mission looking for him, as Wyman Manderly has used Rickon's rescue as payment to join up with Stannis to fight the Bolton's

Rickon definitely has a part here, but all he has done so far is follow Bran around then disappear with Osha
I see. It wasn't clear to me what Davos was attempting to do when he went to see Lord Wyman.

Why would Stannis send Davos to rescue Rickon if Rickon is a potential rival for the throne?

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I see. It wasn't clear to me what Davos was attempting to do when he went to see Lord Wyman.

Why would Stannis send Davos to rescue Rickon if Rickon is a potential rival for the throne?

Stannis sent Davos just to get Wyman's cooperation, didn't know Rickon was alive. Once Davos got there, Wyman revealed to him that he knew that Rickon was alive and that in order for him to join Stannis he would need to go get Rickon

They then faked Davos's death and hung someone else's head and hands with an onion in its mouth. So everyone (including Stannis) thinks that Davos is dead and that Wyman killed him. This is Wyman's ploy to keep making the Bolton's and Frey's think he is on their side until he eventually rebels against them

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
the north has to be the most intriguing plot of the story right now.

NORTH
boltons, freys and manderleys along with other smaller houses all bunched up in winterfell. somebody walking around bodying bolton's and frey's, mance rayder gettin caught, theon escaping, stannis not too far away with a bunch of southerners and mountain clans, asha greyjoy, bran and bloodraven, the wall, the banker from bravos making deals with stannis and jon snow, maege mormont and robbett glover, howland reed still hasnt appeared.

you cant blame grrm too much for taking so long. he has made the story so damn complex. look at all the shyt i mentioned(and im sure im forgetting something) and thats just the north part of the map.

RIVERLANDS
you still got the riverlands with jamie off with brienne to see cat and the brotherhood, the blackfish's whereabouts, lannisters taking over all the smaller houses and stretching themselves thin, the freys also stretching themselves out thin and getting wiped out by the brotherhood, the wedding about to go down in riverrun with tom sevenstrings infiltrating as a singer

THE REACH(highgarden and oldtown)
Euron Greyjoy about to take over highgarden and oldtown, sam tarly there to train, the girl from dorne disguised as a male maester, the whole "pate" thing, dragonglass candles, sam unknowingly holding the horn of joralumon or whatever, the big maester about to go help out danarys

THE STORMLANDS
Aegon (:gladbron:) taragaryen taking over, arianne martell about to go see him

DORNE
The martell's and their crazy ass plans

THE VALE
Littlefinger and all his schemes, Sansa making friends with Robert's first b*stard, Robin Arryn bout to die(i hope)

KINGS LANDING
Kevan just got bodied, pycelle just got bodied, Cersei about to go buckwild with vengeance and her beast soldier Robert Strong(zombie mountain), Tyrells in there also plotting their revenge, Varys is back

ESSOS
Danarys bumping into a dothraki horde with her dragon, the battle at mereen, victarion greyjoy about to land on mereen, tyrion and the second sons, barristan leading his queens army into battle, danarys about to have an army 100,000 strong

:wow::whew:

GRRM backed himself into a huge tangled mess of a corner. as pissed as i am for taking so long, i understand.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
^^^Yep, I'm 40% convinced that he is going to have to add an eighth book to finish everything. Which would almost surely mean that the series will never be finished before he dies

I'm 75% convinced that the show will end before the book will end, but I'm OK with that as long as we eventually get both

I'm 90% sure I just made up those percentages though

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
the north has to be the most intriguing plot of the story right now.
KINGS LANDING
Kevan just got bodied, pycelle just got bodied, Cersei about to go buckwild with vengeance and her beast soldier Robert Strong(zombie mountain), Tyrells in there also plotting their revenge, Varys is back.

@Klarifeye The Great talmbout she's kaput as of ADWD. Nah that bytch gonna go out with a bang.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
@Klarifeye The Great talmbout she's kaput as of ADWD. Nah that bytch gonna go out with a bang.

I don't think she's totally kaput, but its clear she no longer has an influence, Tywins biggest mistake was putting all his chips in her marriage and Jamie as heir. If he'd noticed Tyrion's talent the Lannisters woulda been and unfukkwithable force with their hands in politics, military and the faith. Not even Littlefinger woulda been able to make moves.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
even tho cersei as of adwd is :flabbynsick:, the fact that she is tommen's mom and has the kingsguard and whats left of the lannister army at her disposal is enough muscle to create some havoc. im sure she will be gone soon but i wouldnt be surprised if she takes some players with her.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
:ohhh: couldn't quite remember her part in ADWD

Yea she's mainly mentioned in the epilogue. Mace Tyrell is outraged at the news that she was injured, and suggests she should marry someone else; Kevan Lannister automatically sees through his comments, and realizes Tyrell wants her to marry his son (Willas). Kevan says the marriage can't be cancelled because it would give the Martells reason to join Aegon.