A Song of Ice & Fire by George R.R. Martin: Book Discussion Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It all depends If Jon snow makes it out alive I think alot of Northen Lords will follow him and if he backs Stannis well then the rest will fall in line. But when Danny comes it is a wrap for any who appose her.

True. Assuming Jon gets back to normal (be it revival or treating his wounds), I have a feeling he won't be on the Wall for long. Either they'll chase him off or the Wall will fall. I don't see Jon leaving the Wall unless he's forced to, basically.

But Stannis will probably end up being on the opposite side of everyone imo. Dany seems him in the HOTU, as a lie/obstacle she must disprove. I think Stannis will win Winterfell, but be abandoned by the North once they get either Rickon or Jon. Some people think Stannis will become the Night King.

Honestly tho, I kinda wish the Others weren't a big threat. I'd rather see Stannis get his sellswords and go south to challenge "Aegon," who I'd bet all my Coli Cash will be king by the time TWOW ends. Tommen will die, then Myrcella will be queen for a bit before dying too IMO. Martin said multiple people will sit the throne before the end of the series. Makes sense it'll be Myrcella next, since the prophesy Cersei heard said she'll bury all three of her children, and all three will have golden crowns.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
True. Assuming Jon gets back to normal (be it revival or treating his wounds), I have a feeling he won't be on the Wall for long. Either they'll chase him off or the Wall will fall. I don't see Jon leaving the Wall unless he's forced to, basically.

But Stannis will probably end up being on the opposite side of everyone imo. Dany seems him in the HOTU, as a lie/obstacle she must disprove. I think Stannis will win Winterfell, but be abandoned by the North once they get either Rickon or Jon. Some people think Stannis will become the Night King.

Honestly tho, I kinda wish the Others weren't a big threat. I'd rather see Stannis get his sellswords and go south to challenge "Aegon," who I'd bet all my Coli Cash will be king by the time TWOW ends. Tommen will die, then Myrcella will be queen for a bit before dying too IMO. Martin said multiple people will sit the throne before the end of the series. Makes sense it'll be Myrcella next, since the prophesy Cersei heard said she'll bury all three of her children, and all three will have golden crowns.

I'm interested to see how Tommen goes. I was thinking an "accident" while practicing jousting because I'd hate to see the kid murdered. Wasn't expecting Myrcella to make it to King's Landing but I'd forgotten about the crown thing.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Can someone remind me of that myrcella's story
Tyrion agrees to betroth her to Trystane Martell in ACOK, in order to win the Martell's support in the war. She gets sent to Dorne with a member of the King's Guard. In AFFC, Arianne Martell plots to crown her in Dorne, thus forcing the Lannisters to invade. The plan goes to shyt but not before one of Arianne's supporters, Darkstar, tries to assassinate Myrcella; he misses, but cuts her ear off and slashes her face.

At the end of ADWD, her wedding is quickly approaching.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Tyrion agrees to betroth her to Trystane Martell in ACOK, in order to win the Martell's support in the war. She gets sent to Dorne with a member of the King's Guard. In AFFC, Arianne Martell plots to crown her in Dorne, thus forcing the Lannisters to invade. The plan goes to shyt but not before one of Arianne's supporters, Darkstar, tries to assassinate Myrcella; he misses, but cuts her ear off and slashes her face.

At the end of ADWD, her wedding is quickly approaching.
:ohhh: couldn't quite remember her part in ADWD

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Is it worth getting into this series if I've seen all of the show so far?

I'm an avid reader, but it typically go for sci-fi, supernatural, or just thriller type dramas and what not. For instance, I'm currently reading American Gods. I've just never had a good time reading fantasy, honestly. Disregarding Harry Potter, the closest I've come to really enjoying something even close to "fantasy" would be maybe...Timeline? And that's more so just like medieval sci fi lol. I think I'll give it a shot after I finish the one I'm reading. Fantasy novels just seem to lay it all on a little too thick for my tastes. I understand creating a new world and ensuring your reader gets lost in it, but yo I get lost in it

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Finished A Dance with Dragons a couple of days ago. Too bad the next book probably wont' be out for a couple of years.

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
Is it worth getting into this series if I've seen all of the show so far?

I'm an avid reader, but it typically go for sci-fi, supernatural, or just thriller type dramas and what not. For instance, I'm currently reading American Gods. I've just never had a good time reading fantasy, honestly. Disregarding Harry Potter, the closest I've come to really enjoying something even close to "fantasy" would be maybe...Timeline? And that's more so just like medieval sci fi lol. I think I'll give it a shot after I finish the one I'm reading. Fantasy novels just seem to lay it all on a little too thick for my tastes. I understand creating a new world and ensuring your reader gets lost in it, but yo I get lost in it
This is my first time reading a book of this type and it was worth the read. I also saw the HBO series...and then decided to read the books from the first to the last.

It was worth the time. Go for it.

I am not acquainted with the fantasy genre so this may be the last series of this type that I read unless I can be convinced that another series could measure up to this one.

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
I have noticed people referencing Rickon. I barely remember seeing him mentioned and know almost nothing about him. Where are you guys getting these assumptions about Rickon?

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I have noticed people referencing Rickon. I barely remember seeing him mentioned and know almost nothing about him. Where are you guys getting these assumptions about Rickon?

Rickon is on Skagos which is the island with Unicorns and it's people are descendants of the first men, supposedly savage cannibals and everyone is scared of them/the island...So if the people there get behind Rickon (since they are related and Rickon's lineage), then Rickon's got a scary squad behind him...and maybe some unicorns.