A rising number of American men don't want to work

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
They are comparing current numbers against the fukking 1950s, back when many women were homemakers.

With much more women in the workforce, of course there will be situations wherein the female makes more than enough money for the male to stay home.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
You can't be serious. Whats happened to all those dudes who "Learned how to code"? Most didnt get jobs or got recently laid off. They sure arent getting hired today over someone with a CS degree. "Learn a Trade" is just the new meme. Trades are a tiny industry with low turnover in the areas that actually pay well. Some like auto mechanics don't even pay well. Drop 1000 new plumbers in a large city like NYC and payrates will drop, despite the plumbers union gatekeeping half of them from joining. You do realize the construction industry is far from booming and not forcasted to any time soon, so there goes your HVAC and Electrician recommendations.

Are you in the construction industry?

I work in the Construction industry. I'm around General Contractors, Subcontractors, and business owners. The industry is desperate for new young talent. That's not coming from my mouth, but all the owners

Veteran
Daps
This is what happens when companies do not want to pay men a proper wage. What is the point of working when all you get are crumbs and scraps. Most men just want to make enough to keep a roof over heads, a car made in the last 5 years, gas in their car, food in the fridge some of life's comforts and the ability to have a family. When that is off the table for many millennials and most of Gen z what is the point.

When those men go into an interview, do they ask for a comfortable wage?

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Learn a trade isn't a meme it's been an issue for years. People have looked down on skilled labor even though it is one of the few jobs that's protected from advances in A.I. So again it's a viable solution just like learning to code is. You just gotta have a plan. I literally just got a quote for a new HVAC system and it was 13k the actual unit itself was 5k so the rest of that is labor and that's just one job for them. It's a guy that does it on the side and he's charging me 9k so he's directly pocketing 4k for doing a 6hr job. But again they can charge that because it's a specialized skill and there is a literal shortage of them as the older guys phase out and young people don't want to do it and instead chase glamour positions like doctors and lawyers which will be phased out by AI. So what's the next excuse?
You dont know anything about the trades. So of course you don't see why "Learn a trade" is just a meme. You are just parroting some youtube babble. Most trade shortages are 20 years old. The most lucrative postions in plumbing and HVAC have been already taken. The real money is running your own company and having either government contracts or strong connections with builders and free lance general contractors. Ive worked along side trades in construction for a decade, and my father in law is an electrical/mechanical engineer. I have seen the effects of the shortages in electricians and an industry flooded with them at different times. Your side hustle story doesn't really help your argument. Go talk to actual trades workers rather than listen to Mike Rowe or Dave Ramsey. They will tell you different and far more nuanced story.

Real Talk, My buddy use to parrot the same, "Learn a Trade" jazz, as he has kids in high school. Then he started a new career as a Physical Therapist. The physical wear and tear, and injuries he sees on a regular basis from the trades changed his tune.

Yes, the world is competive and you will have to work hard to get ahead, but the world has changed drastically and the number of career paths available are significantly smaller than 30 years ago. The American people are now poorer for it. Putting your head down and grinding away, will be bad advice when you finally look up and the US looks like Brazil or the Dominican Republic.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
IMO something is being ignored. :manny: I question if employers are favoring women over men. I work in a group with 15 people with four of us being men. Lord knows we cannot question for them to start bringing in more men. I don't think it's men not wanting to work, its opportunities are getting slimmer especially in white collar jobs. The same premise applies as young people have fewer opportunities cause older folks are not retiring.
There are numbers to support a few of your points

Women are ideal candidates for corporate America because they tend to be more agreeable and accommodating than men.

When women are asked to do more than what their job requires they usually don't object. This translates into doing more tasks, working longer hours. Even with women that work from home I've noticed they'll be answering emails at 9pm despite their shift ending at 5

Women also rarely ask for raises. That part of a man that says "I need a raise or I'm gone" is more easily stifled in female counterparts

Veteran
Daps
You dont know anything about the trades. So of course you don't see why "Learn a trade" is just a meme. You are just parroting some youtube babble. Most trade shortages are 20 years old. The most lucrative postions in plumbing and HVAC have been already taken. The real money is running your own company and having either government contracts or strong connections with builders and free lance general contractors. Ive worked along side trades in construction for a decade, and my father in law is an electrical/mechanical engineer. I have seen the effects of the shortages in electricians and an industry flooded with them at different times. Your side hustle story doesn't really help your argument. Go talk to actual trades workers rather than listen to Mike Rowe or Dave Ramsey. They will tell you different and far more nuanced story.

Real Talk, My buddy use to parrot the same, "Learn a Trade" jazz, as he has kids in high school. Then he started a new career as a Physical Therapist. The physical wear and tear, and injuries he sees on a regular basis from the trades changed his tune.

Yes, the world is competive and you will have to work hard to get ahead, but the world has changed drastically and the number of career paths available are significantly smaller than 30 years ago. The American people are now poorer for it. Putting your head down and grinding away, will be bad advice when you finally look up and the US looks like Brazil or the Dominican Republic.

If what you say is true, men will have to find another way. What do y'all suggest if trades, college, and IT aren't options?