A rising number of American men don't want to work

™BlackPearl The Empress™

Long Live the Empire
Supporter
Daps
Working used to guarantee you a woman without a ton of miles on her, a house, a car, and other necessities. Not the case today. The people that run society now seem to not understand why men work. You think men throughout history woke up early and busted their ass to get fukk all out of it? That's how things work,
No they understand but they are just no longer interested in all the consequences that come with catering to a world full of men at the expense of women, children and the planet.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
Ive heard this too. The first question I always ask is, "Whats the pay?". I've rarely been impressed. The old adage applies, "There's rarely worker shortages, just pay shortages". Last time was a martial arts school owners complaining about a lack of workers. Dude was pumping his chest about offering $15/hr in 2019. I was paying basic laborers $15/hr in 2010. Employers want to ignore the fact that Supply and Demand works in both directions.
So pay is always going to be a sticking point. But it's always relative to what the person believes they're worth in relation to the skill set they provide and the type of work they're doing. Entry level jobs where the person has little to no experience has little leverage to negotiate his wage. That's like a McD's employee demanding 30/hr. That job is easily replaceable and there's a glut of people that can easily do that job.

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
And you are saying a whole lot of nothing (including your replies about “those who taught you capitalism are running a monopolistic strategy”…Yeah, no shyt)

Anything me or you have can be taken away, at any time. You are not on some other another plane nor are you immune from the “system”.

Would love to hear tangibles about the holy grail solution you have set up for yourself.

You already know you won't accept simple solutions.

You want to continue in the delusion.

You don't really want to work hard.

You just want to continue to believe you're better than most everybody else in your career or whatever it is that you do.

Until it's gone.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
So pay is always going to be a sticking point. But it's always relative to what the person believes they're worth in relation to the skill set they provide and the type of work they're doing. Entry level jobs where the person has little to no experience has little leverage to negotiate his wage. That's like a McD's employee demanding 30/hr. That job is easily replaceable and there's a glut of people that can easily do that job.
You just described supply and demand, but only from one side. Its actually bi-directional. A McDonald's employee demanding $30/hr is no different than McDonalds struggling to find workers advertising $15/hr. If workers are dropping out of the workforce, then the onus is on employers to raise pay, because the glut of replacement workers no longer exists.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
You just described supply and demand, but only from one side. Its actually bi-directional. A McDonald's employee demanding $30/hr is no different than McDonalds struggling to find workers advertising $15/hr. If workers are dropping out of the workforce, then the onus is on employers to raise pay, because the glut of replacement workers no longer exists.
But McDonald's also can bite the bullet and automate some parts of the job to cut personnel cost and go no higher than $15 still. That's a low skilled job people expecting to make 30/hr there is crazy especially if there's blue and white collar jobs not paying people that. Everyone should be self maximizing themselves to acquire different skills and talents to adapt to the changing market conditions. People that refuse to adapt and just complain that it's unfair unfortunately get left behind. It's not a utopia someone has to flip patties it's supposed to be teenagers that just started but adults that don't want more for themselves and plan accordingly are exactly where they're supposed minus the few exceptions

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
No they understand but they are just no longer interested in all the consequences that come with catering to a world full of men at the expense of women, children and the planet.
A lot of men are unhappy with the current system because they're working hard, and the benefits are not what they used to be because of inflation. I don't know how having a good economy is at the expense of women, children, and the planet.

Edit: I'm not talking about men keeping women out of jobs in the old days.

Last edited:

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
But McDonald's also can bite the bullet and automate some parts of the job to cut personnel cost and go no higher than $15 still. That's a low skilled job people expecting to make 30/hr there is crazy especially if there's blue and white collar jobs not paying people that. Everyone should be self maximizing themselves to acquire different skills and talents to adapt to the changing market conditions. People that refuse to adapt and just complain that it's unfair unfortunately get left behind. It's not a utopia someone has to flip patties it's supposed to be teenagers that just started but adults that don't want more for themselves and plan accordingly are exactly where they're supposed minus the few exceptions
AI and automation doesn't change the way supply and demand works. Any employer complaining to the media about a worker shortage obviously can't replace those workers with AI or automation. The same goes for McDonalds. The idea that higher wages leads to automation is a myth. Automation is simply inevitable. US automakers moved their facyories to Mexico for cheaper labor, but guess what, they also installed a ton of automation in those Mexican car factories. Why do you continue to White Knight for silly employers who think they are above basic econ 101 laws of Supply and demand?

PHamm

Superstar
Daps
Yes, it is. People gotta stop using a LA/NY lens for the entire country. 60k will have you living comfortable in most of the country, specifically the entire Midwest, south, northwest etc.

A lot of dudes are losers who are socially retarded and have no aspirations beyond living just enough to afford rent and videogames. They can't talk to women, don't want to buy houses, don't go to bars, and largely refrain from a lot of things their fathers and grandfathers excelled at. A lot of men complain about working as if your only choice is Amazon or retail. What happened to the understanding that certain degrees guaranteed good jobs and lives. Or that certain trades guaranteed the same. We have a massive trades deficit in the country where a lot of people (specifically men) are not learning trades despite high demand for well paying jobs as electricians/craftsmen/etc. Not to mention HVAC. You can't argue this is about a lack of opportunity, it's about a lack of drive. And I will always believe a lot of that has to do with parents not raising their sons with standards or expectations. That may have worked 40 years ago when the most half assed dude could fall into a good factory job but that's not reality anymore. You have to compete.
A lot of young males don't have a strong male influence to teach them these things. They come from single mother households. Much respect to single mothers but you cannot make up for the lack of a strong male influence

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
A lot of clowns on thecoli grew up with a silver spoon in their mouths, got help to get a car from family members, and were able to get through college without financial trouble. So you don't understand why some people are unhappy with the economy. Your life was easy, fool. You had help. You don't know what it's like to struggle financially. So stop making shyt up in your head about men not wanting to compete, because you don't know what the fukk you're talking about. Just running your mouth, going through life completely unaware of what real life is. Y'all probably think the 2008 financial crisis wasn't a big deal lol. Just a complete lack of awareness of how hard life has been, especially for Millennials. Maybe you got established and bought a house before everything went to shyt, so maybe you should consider that not everyone was born at the right time.

Last edited:

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Can’t afford to not work. Got a woman, kid, family depending on me. I can’t let them down; plus my pop wouldn’t let me just give up. My ole lady still laid off. I gotta keep us all afloat. I guess I have purpose. I also have a lifestyle I enjoy, and I can’t see myself just doing nothing. It’s the summer time. My little girl just got out of school, and my girl will call and say how my daughter still in the bed at 10am. I’m like get her ass up. Can’t wait until summer camp start for her next week.

I do feel for these younger men, though. I know it’s tough out here

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is monopolization not a global phenomenon regardless of the government system though?

If you lived in Japan, Switzerland, South Korea, Ghana, Brazil, wouldn't you still be subjected to monopolization?
Those are all capitalist countries, also

Pseudonym

Secretary of Defense of #catset
Supporter
Daps
:yeshrug: Sometimes the unemployed can enjoy more than hard workers. Work a few months to qualify for unemployment. Low rent with housing assistance ($20-$700/mo) and in central FL, there are houses/apts in suburban neighborhoods, HA isn’t just like and beans like Mercy Drive or Pine Hills anymore. EBT… employed having to reduce grocery spending whilst EBt/WIC ( 4+ kids) have no worries.some may qualify for disability. If you’re an avg American working hard and seeing this, it’s understandable to not work whilst you’re in the same or lower /debt bracket as the unemployed