A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I don't like how we handled the defensive backfield this offseason.

We should have given a cheap but long term contract to Perrish Cox. He is a good depth corner and better then Eric Wright who essentially played himself down the depth chart. I don't know what we see in him. I think Wright is a bum and didn't deserve a contract.

Antoine Bethea is not a bad safety but we downgraded a little. If his contract was less, I would feel better, but if you didn't like Whitners coverage, Bethea is abysmal, really the signing shows that Vic Fangio could give a fukk about safety coverage because better cover guys were available. But it is short term so it is what it is.

Strangely enough if we can get Carlos Rogers back on the super cheap, I would like that. As much as I wanted him gone. We need a veteran presence.

Chris Cook is a project, but we got him for next to free so, lets see.

On Offense: I like the Jonathan Martin signing and Blaine Gabbert signing. No risk, high reward. These are both guys with starting experience, but more so the Martin signing. we have one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the NFL, and maybe we have a good therapist, because Martins issues are mental not physical. Worst case, we kick him into guard and he could be a depth guy there.

Basically, we have no room for error in the draft.
Baalke had made some choices that are questionable and if he blows the draft, we are in trouble moving forward.

This. We knew that going into free agency, we just can't fukk up on at least 2-3 picks this year. We need them to contribute from the get go.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
we just have to hit on one corner. thats all we need to do in this draft. we hit on a corner and tank/lattimore step up, we'll be fine.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Just glad we didn't give whitner big money cuz he wasn't worth it. He's a solid player but he has made some costly mistakes

not really breh, he had alot of bad calls called on him (bullshyt personal fouls, helmet 2 helmets) he was feared in the secondary

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
not really breh, he had alot of bad calls called on him (bullshyt personal fouls, helmet 2 helmets) he was feared in the secondary
his coverage was very spotty, especially in 2011 and 2012. having a hard-hitting safety in 2010s is not that big a deal. we didnt lose shyt with goldson walking and while I think we lose leadership and experience in whitner, we are saving money to help us in long-term.

also I wont ever forget the jacoby jones SB TD and him guarding air not even realizing the only play he had was to help the corner, even tho part of that play is on cully being a fukking retard. 3rd and 10. then no help from him on the man streaks against hags on 4th and 27

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
his coverage was very spotty, especially in 2011 and 2012. having a hard-hitting safety in 2010s is not that big a deal. we didnt lose shyt with goldson walking and while I think we lose leadership and experience in whitner, we are saving money to help us in long-term.

also I wont ever forget the jacoby jones SB TD and him guarding air not even realizing the only play he had was to help the corner, even tho part of that play is on cully being a fukking retard. 3rd and 10. then no help from him on the man streaks against hags on 4th and 27

Yeah I feel u, but why the hell would we go get bathea :mindblown:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Yeah I feel u, but why the hell would we go get bathea :mindblown:
hes much cheaper. we are going to groom a safety, but hes a safety net (lol no pun intended) since it isnt a great safety class. if we find one that can start as soon as after this year we can throw bethea in the bushes with very little cap hit. as far as I understood it at least

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
I'm not too concerened with what we're doing with the secondary. Barrows has a excellent article about the secondary basically saying the exact same things were said in 2011 when we revamped the secondary.
We basically replaced 3 starters. Whitner was a cheap safety that garnered hardly any attention, Los was considered a bust and Terrell Brown wasn't even a returning starter; as a matter of fact, the only reason he got the start was because Shawnte Spencer pulled his hammy in training camp.
I trust Ed Donatell to coach em up and get them where they need to be as a cohesive unit. Look what he did with less time in the lockout shortened season with 3 new players. Now he'll have a full offseason to coach these guys up. True, the front 7 being healthy and getting pressure will be key to helping the secondary out, but I'm not about to give up on the season because we didn't sign the big names in the secondary.

Here's the article I referenced:

The 49ers have blown up the secondary they built in 2011 and that ranked in the top 10 in pass defense the past two seasons. But if you thought that unit was going to be great when it was assembled back then, you are either clairvoyant or -- more likely - a big, fat liar.

One of the starting cornerbacks in 2011, Tarell Brown, had started five games in his previous four seasons in the league and none in 2010. He only got the job because Shawntae Spencer pulled his hamstring in training camp. The other, Carlos Rogers, was considered a first-round bust in Washington and was best known for dropping would-be interceptions at inopportune times. Rogers was so lightly regarded that he lasted more than a week in free agency before the 49ers signed him to a one-year deal.

Rogers finished the season with six interceptions and started in the Pro Bowl. Brown started all 18 games and finished with five interceptions, including one in the playoffs.

At safety, the 49ers brought in one experienced starter in Donte Whitner. But there was not a big demand for the undersized, over-drafted Whitner on the free-agent market and he, too, lasted several days before being signed. On other side, Madieu Williams (yes, Madieu Williams; I double-checked it) started the first two games before Dashon Goldson took over. Whitner would go on to have the most iconic defensive play of the 49ers' playoff run when he knocked Saints running back Pierre Thomas out of the game on New Orleans' opening drive. Goldson tied with Rogers for the team lead with six interceptions and, like Rogers, made his first Pro Bowl. The 49ers tied for the league lead in takeaways.

All of which is to say this: It's impossible to judge a team or a unit until they, you know, actually start playing. The fan conclusion after nearly a week of free agency is that the 49ers have taken a step backward. I say, wait until September - or better yet, December - to make that assessment. With the team just a little less than $4 million under the salary cap, it is unlikely to make a splashy move in the secondary.
There are still some cornerbacks on the market, but they are either out of San Francisco's price range (Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie), age range (Champ Bailey), have flaws (Terrell Thomas, multiple ACL tears) or are inexperienced (Aaron Berry). Rogers also remains unsigned.

The 49ers also still have the draft. Two names likely to be bandied about over the next month and a half are Jason Verrett of TCU and Kyle Fuller of Virginia Tech. Both are cornerbacks who are capable of playing in the slot, where Rogers played the last three seasons.

Most of all, the 49ers have two very good coaches - Vic Fangio and Ed Donatell - overseeing the secondary. Perhaps Frangio's greatest achievement in three seasons with the 49ers is that, with limited time in the lockout-shortened 2011 offseason, he put the right players in all the right spaces. He has a full offseason this year. Fans should have confidence he will do the same by September 7.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Yea, he got screwed on some of those calls but he built up that reputation. He was launching at dudes when he didn't need to. But honestly, that's not what I was talking about. He just can't cover to the level where I'd offer him top safety money. Nah!

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
Wouldn't be surprised if we draft one of them big corners, in the mid rounds and try to him to safetysafety

Daps
See we re-signed Fangio and gave him a pay raise.

It actually seems like Harbaugh and the FO are back on the same page for the time being, still got that feeling that a breakup could be inevitable, but maybe the waters have calmed a bit for now at least.