A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Daps
I think there is a lot of arrogance in taking away 3 starter caliber players in the secondary and just hoping it all works out.

Rogers/Brown/Whitner, all vets who gelled with this unit for year under Harbaugh, gone.

Now we expect Bathea, Eric Reid (great player, but young), T Brock and ???? to put it all together. I expect some hard times early on in our secondary.

I forgot, we got Chris Cook to soften the blow haha

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I think there is a lot of arrogance in taking away 3 starter caliber players in the secondary and just hoping it all works out.

Rogers/Brown/Whitner, all vets who gelled with this unit for year under Harbaugh, gone.

Now we expect Bathea, Eric Reid (great player, but young), T Brock and ???? to put it all together. I expect some hard times early on in our secondary.

I forgot, we got Chris Cook to soften the blow haha
if youre gonna mention reid, you need to mention goldson whom he replaced. and reid has a ceiling far greater than goldson could have ever had.

the truth is our secondary was never very good and the front 7 makes this team go. brown was ass in 2011. los is old and making too much. whitner wasnt very good in 2011 and 2012 (besides the saints games)
its natural to revamp the secondary, we all knew it was coming too

we got wright as insurance, and many people may forget this, but the only game we won against seattle he was the starter over a hurt brown, and held his own.

this secondary was always overrated to be so worried about replacements. it will be ok as long as front 7 is ok.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep our secondary was our weak point and I actually wanted to see a complete revampment. Not sad to see any of those starters go. A top flight corner that we can get through the draft >> Rogers and Brown.

What's the deal with Culliver? Are they considering him being in the mix for corner as well?

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
To me it's not even about the poor acquisitions, that was expected .

It's more about the lack of retaining players we could have on the cheap.
who exactly ? we got cheaper SS in bethea who will be a stopgap if whoever we draft isnt good at SS.
team is confident about replacing brown and los and cant say Id fault them, all of us predicted both of these guys gone. consensus is we're drafting a corner in the first round.

people are really forgetting that pending kaep contract basically makes us save every penny we can ?

Im fine with what we did, besides gabbert. bethea guaranteed money is like twice as less as whitner and cook and martin prolly dont even make the team. well, martin can I guess.
we got Boldin and Dawson re-signed, and that was big.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My main concern going into the offseason was losing Boldin. We haven't had a bonafide number 2 as good as him for a decade, and his playoff play was spectacular. Seems like a lot of people forgot him and Crabs hardly got an entire healthy season together. I was only envisioning a need at WR if we lost Boldin.

Whitner was a good player for us but he wasn't perfect and his coverage frustrated a lot of times. Let's also not forget he was viewed as a bit of a disappointment when we got him over from Buffalo. Same deal with Carlos. Playing with this front seven can do wonders for secondary players and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bethea have a big season next year. Also looks like we have a pairing of safeties with range and coverage skills for the first time in a while. The key will be addressing corner through the draft.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
I wonder what the second pick will be after we select a corner first

Safeties are looking cheeks

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I wonder what the second pick will be after we select a corner first

Safeties are looking cheeks
another corner, safety or WR imo

corner and WR class seem crazy strong, seems foolish not to take at least 3 corners/wrs in the first five picks we have or so

Daps
if youre gonna mention reid, you need to mention goldson whom he replaced. and reid has a ceiling far greater than goldson could have ever had.

the truth is our secondary was never very good and the front 7 makes this team go. brown was ass in 2011. los is old and making too much. whitner wasnt very good in 2011 and 2012 (besides the saints games)
its natural to revamp the secondary, we all knew it was coming too

we got wright as insurance, and many people may forget this, but the only game we won against seattle he was the starter over a hurt brown, and held his own.

this secondary was always overrated to be so worried about replacements. it will be ok as long as front 7 is ok.

Reid replaced one man, my beef is really the fact that we're letting 3 core players of that secondary walk.

I just think the team will have problems finding cohesion, not to mention talent, in the secondary

Daps
Yep our secondary was our weak point and I actually wanted to see a complete revampment. Not sad to see any of those starters go. A top flight corner that we can get through the draft >> Rogers and Brown.

What's the deal with Culliver? Are they considering him being in the mix for corner as well?

I loved Cully, besides that damn playoff run in 2012 he usually impressed.

And you're dead right, our secondary was the weakness of the D, but there's no guarantee any of the replacements will be any better.

With all 3 leaving the depth issues alone are concerning

Daps
another corner, safety or WR imo

corner and WR class seem crazy strong, seems foolish not to take at least 3 corners/wrs in the first five picks we have or so

I agree, same w/ WRs.

I know it goes against conventional wisdom but I`m all for the idea of taking multiple stabs at a position in the early rounds.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just glad we didn't give whitner big money cuz he wasn't worth it. He's a solid player but he has made some costly mistakes

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I don't like how we handled the defensive backfield this offseason.

We should have given a cheap but long term contract to Perrish Cox. He is a good depth corner and better then Eric Wright who essentially played himself down the depth chart. I don't know what we see in him. I think Wright is a bum and didn't deserve a contract.

Antoine Bethea is not a bad safety but we downgraded a little. If his contract was less, I would feel better, but if you didn't like Whitners coverage, Bethea is abysmal, really the signing shows that Vic Fangio could give a fukk about safety coverage because better cover guys were available. But it is short term so it is what it is.

Strangely enough if we can get Carlos Rogers back on the super cheap, I would like that. As much as I wanted him gone. We need a veteran presence.

Chris Cook is a project, but we got him for next to free so, lets see.

On Offense: I like the Jonathan Martin signing and Blaine Gabbert signing. No risk, high reward. These are both guys with starting experience, but more so the Martin signing. we have one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the NFL, and maybe we have a good therapist, because Martins issues are mental not physical. Worst case, we kick him into guard and he could be a depth guy there.

Basically, we have no room for error in the draft. Baalke had made some choices that are questionable and if he blows the draft, we are in trouble moving forward.

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I hope we can keep Tony Jerod Eddie :to: Low key he was nice as a fill in. Our defensive line depth is :ahh:

Jim Tomsula da gawd, I think he could make a coli poster a good d-lineman.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I don't like how we handled the defensive backfield this offseason.

We should have given a cheap but long term contract to Perrish Cox. He is a good depth corner and better then Eric Wright who essentially played himself down the depth chart.
I vehemently disagree with this. first of all, wright didnt play himself down the depth chart. his last game he played for us extensively was the seattle game we actually won.
the truth is cox is a slot corner who was behind los, and wright plays outside. on our team, vic makes this a big distinction. wright will never play in slot. he will backup brock/cully on outside or start if they falter (and honestly I actually have less faith in cully and brock than wright- cully was getting burned a good amount when he was starting and now after a big injury, and while brock played amazing football last year, I wouldnt be surprised if he turned into a pumpkin)

lets put it this way, cox and wright dont play the same position in our defense, at all. and I likeCox (no homo)

we are set on outside now, but we dont have any slot corners. this is imo the reason we were looking at thurmond and why I think (now maiocco also thinks that btw) why verrett would be a great fit for us. that or we are switching to different type of coverage and more man than zone.

Antoine Bethea is not a bad safety but we downgraded a little. If his contract was less, I would feel better, but if you didn't like Whitners coverage, Bethea is abysmal, really the signing shows that Vic Fangio could give a fukk about safety coverage because better cover guys were available. But it is short term so it is what it is.
bethea has a floor, and we tend to like that. I almost guarantee we draft a safety in first 3-4 rounds. I agree betheas coverage is kinda ass and he wasnt good against the chiefs in playoffs at all. if I recall correctly, last td alex threw to knile davis bethea was on him and he completely left him wide open, completely fukking up