A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Oh alright. Cause i think my Eagles are going to try and sign him. Gamble knows about Whitner, we tried to sign Goldson. But he ended up getting that stupid contract from Tampa.
whitner looks better than he is because the front 7 is really good at cleaning up tackles. he'll whiff on quite few tackles, he'll make a few hits. if you asked me before this year Id tell you he sucks in coverage but he did much better this year. he is a leader though, but I wouldnt say Id miss him a lot if we get a good replacement.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
whitner looks better than he is because the front 7 is really good at cleaning up tackles. he'll whiff on quite few tackles, he'll make a few hits. if you asked me before this year Id tell you he sucks in coverage but he did much better this year. he is a leader though, but I wouldnt say Id miss him a lot if we get a good replacement.

Who is out there in FA? I'm on the camp of letting Whitner go if he doesn't sign a cap friendly deal, but are there real, cheaper options out there?

WaddupDoe!

Steez.
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang.
He is better then what we had in Patrick Chung. :dead: We could use a physical enforcer and vet leader like him in our secondary. Right now the only goon-ish player we have on defense is Cary Williams. :heh: I think Whitner would be coming in on a two year rental type of deal anyways. Probably be a starter while we groom a young safety to eventually replace him.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
niners got 12 picks in this draft nikka

I know but I see us addressing other positions before safety, and I'm not sure if a 4th rounder can replace Whitner starting Week 1. We'll probably have to sign at least a stop gap guy while we develop our pick so I just wanna know who is out there.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know but I see us addressing other positions before safety, and I'm not sure if a 4th rounder can replace Whitner starting Week 1. We'll probably have to sign at least a stop gap guy while we develop our pick so I just wanna know who is out there.
niners have been good at identifying players beyond wrs, im sure they'll take care of things

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

this is getting crazy. apparently frank broke his hand last night

how many serious injuries to starters can we have in one game?

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
the corner and safety pool is a pretty good one this year. of course, lots of players will re-sign as usual

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly, the quote doesn't even make sense :patrice:

You can destroy something but you can rebuild it. Defeat implies that the "destruction" is the end all, be all. The quote is simply saying if something shattered into a thousand pieces, it's not the end; you can put all those pieces back together.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

Unless we wanna trade up to #15 in the 1st round and get HaHa Clinton-Dix, we need Whitner, the free agency class is weak. Jairus Bird and TJ will get re-signed or get top safety contracts elsewhere. I'm not as high on the safety class this year as I was last year.

Daps
You can destroy something but you can rebuild it. Defeat implies that the "destruction" is the end all, be all. The quote is simply saying if something shattered into a thousand pieces, it's not the end; you can put all those pieces back together.

Yeah, I take from it that being defeated is like admitting to yourself you're not good enough and conceding failure

I dunno. weird quote, kinda dig it though

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
I didn't see a list anywhere, so here are the FA's going into the offseason

Unrestricted
WR Anquan Boldin
S Donte Whitner
CB Tarell Brown
OL Jonathan Goodwin