A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
It's simple economics.... Whether you think Kaep is worth $1 or $90M you're still assigning value to him by looking at other QBs. The market determines value. If the average QB is making $15M then guess what? Average QBs are worth $15M. It's really that simple.

You acting like the D is flawless. Keep thinking that. :mjlol:

You need a stout D but you also need a good O as well. You can't just stack up on D and neglect the offense. When the D can't get it done (and they have had trouble at times) the O is going to need to make plays. You can't neglect any part of the team. You should be looking to improve every area of the team.
Only problem with all this economic talk is, these aren't real businesses, the teams are going to make money regardless of the shytty ass contracts they sign players too because of tv contracts

If contracts they signed players too, truly mattered qbs wouldn't be making that much

I'm not saying neglect one side of the ball and obviously they haven't by resigning boldin but if u think the d ain't the strength of this team, ur nuts

With the oline we have and weapons around the qb, points would be put up with Steve Bono at qb

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only problem with all this economic talk is, these aren't real businesses, the teams are going to make money regardless of the shytty ass contracts they sign players too because of tv contracts

If contracts they signed players too, truly mattered qbs wouldn't be making that much

I'm not saying neglect one side of the ball and obviously they haven't by resigning boldin but if u think the d ain't the strength of this team, ur nuts

With the oline we have and weapons around the qb, points would be put up with Steve Bono at qb

that o-line did nothing against seattle and honestly they have regressed. im glad iputati has been playing hard ball on a extension, hes starting to break down

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
that o-line did nothing against seattle and honestly they have regressed. im glad iputati has been playing hard ball on a extension, hes starting to break down

I wouldn't say dude is breaking down, this is the 1st year he has had to deal with a significant injury in 4 seasons. That being said, it would be tough for us to keep him, he arguably the best guard in the league and will be paid as such either by us or someone else, in all honesty I'm beginning to prefer someone else pay him. I don't think out O-Line really regressed, we played far better D-Lines this year and we were still a top running team and Kaepernick was protected well more often than not. We just need more weapons and to make better use of what we have to spread defenses out, we saw more defensive looks with 8 in the box than any other team in the league.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't say dude is breaking down, this is the 1st year he has had to deal with a significant injury in 4 seasons. That being said, it would be tough for us to keep him, he arguably the best guard in the league and will be paid as such either by us or someone else, in all honesty I'm beginning to prefer someone else pay him. I don't think out O-Line really regressed, we played far better D-Lines this year and we were still a top running team and Kaepernick was protected well more often than not. We just need more weapons and to make better use of what we have to spread defenses out, we saw more defensive looks with 8 in the box than any other team in the league.
More weapons?

Da fuk

It's the conservative play calling and kaeps inability to read past 2 guys

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
More weapons?

Da fuk

It's the conservative play calling and kaeps inability to read past 2 guys

Really I'm just talking about a top flight receiver in the draft. We also got guts who need to step up. Kapernick is not a two read guy, for most of last season we only had 2 guys worth throwing to.

I wish our playcalling were more aggressive but Harbaugh is not an aggresive gut offensively, surprised if it changes.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
Really I'm just talking about a top flight receiver in the draft. We also got guts who need to step up. Kapernick is not a two read guy, for most of last season we only had 2 guys worth throwing to.

I wish our playcalling were more aggressive but Harbaugh is not an aggresive gut offensively, surprised if it changes.

It's not going to change, honestly. If we draft a receiver in the first 2 rounds, it won't matter unless we are successful connecting on long passes. That's why Randy Moss was so effective with us, not from a stats standpoint but from an "effecting coverage" standpoint. The threat of his going deep and catching long passes was enough for defenses to respect.
Right now, our only deep threat is Vernon Davis. Even if we end up getting a Brandon Cooks or some other speedy receiver, it will be for not because we don't deep pass often enough.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I thought he was giving us a discount ? :wtf: if he still is he thinks hes rodgers-money worth ?
at this point Id keep him for next year and franchise tag him the next, easily.

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Why not move up and take Mike Evans?

Kaepernick can just throw jump balls all day and win.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought he was giving us a discount ? :wtf: if he still is he thinks hes rodgers-money worth ?
at this point Id keep him for next year and franchise tag him the next, easily.

I know right. But shyt you had to figure it was just lip service. I have no idea why the fukk he would even say he would take a discount. No way is he worth 20 mil. He could hit the bushes

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
They'll find a way to fix this, especially if teams keep paying up and ending up with disappointing years like the falcons, ravens, and cowgirls. Just like they put a stop to the crazy escalating first round contracts, they'll figure out how to stop these marginally warranted outrageous contracts
they dont need to find a way to 'fix it' as long as they can just raise the cap. its their version of an easy fix. dumb owners overpaying big contracts because theyre too scared to let go of their qbs and then inflate the cap.
Id love for cap to be fixed small increments (ie no more than 1-2m a year rise) and watch these faggits squirm knowing they cant sign half a team by giving out big contracts

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
La Canfora says Kaep "believes he is a top-five quarterback" and will be perfectly happy to "bet on himself" by playing out the final year of his rookie deal for $973,766
:mjlol:

if management is any smart, they should let him bet on himself and save some guap at least short-term. we save like 25m these two years alone.
and in two years we'll have a better understanding of him as a passer and price tag wont be mostly potential. Id rather pay him 25m after I know hes a great passer than be stuck with an albatross a qb whose main asset is legs. those extra 5m per for 5 years will amount to same 25m we'd save over these two years

Last edited:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
btw boldins contract looks very cut-after-2014 friendly. we save 6m if we cut him after 2014. most of dead money is for 2014