A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
McCown? :mindblown:

What are some other stopgaps that you would like to see?
we've had this convo before didnt we ?

I dont view mccown stopgap at qb any different from a random cheap SS stopgap if whitner were to leave.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
quarterbacks dont lead teams to records.
definitely nfc west teams or our team anyway, its done by defenses out here.

if our defenses falters, 8-8 record is looming with any qb we put out here. and if it doesnt, we can make the offs with a marginal qb (who isnt complete bum, granted).
plus at the end of the day 8-8 record or nfc championship loss :manny: 10 years down the road it'll look similar, 20 years down the road no one will care about the difference.

Our D hasn't faltered during the Harbaugh era? :dahell:
I really don't think we can make the playoffs with a marginal QB....but none of that matters. This argument isn't getting anywhere. Hopefully you'll recover from the mega deal...cuz it's happening. :smugdraper:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Our D hasn't faltered during the Harbaugh era? :dahell:
not over the course of the season. we never had the opportunity to go 8-8 with this D. the worst stretch happened when justin got injured in 2012.
Hopefully you'll recover from the mega deal...cuz it's happening. :smugdraper:
I'll be fine, I handled the losses and I can handle dumb gm decisions, hell Im a warriors fan so I have some experience there. not to mention sf giants fan and we just got rid of zitos albatross :smh:
you on other hand seem a bit too happy about a team signing a player (who you admittedly like) for so damn much :manny:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
shyt I just looked it up franchise tag for qb is 15m. I wouldve franchised kaep after next year and thats that. two more years at about 8 per sounds good, and enough time to groom someone. if we piss him off then we piss him off :manny: who cares. if we good with him we sign a long term deal

C-NICE

Jiggy is the lifestyle
Daps
Reppin
From Atlanta to San Fran to LA 4now
Salary Cap is going up to I don't think it will be 18 but if it is :manny: the past two years have been great he's only played a year and a half really so if he gets any better I'll be happy. I live here in San Fran and the general feeling out here is pay the man he's the face off the 49ers and stability at QB is a must nowadays. Cap last year was 123 this year its 133 and by 2016 its a 4% raise expected so it may not be as bad but we will see

Daps
easier to make decisions with a superbowl in the cupboard. if we won a SB with kaep as a qb, Id begrudgingly accept an overpaid contract

And there within lies the problem.

Giving Kaep 18m would be a whole lot easier if he got the job
shyt I just looked it up franchise tag for qb is 15m. I wouldve franchised kaep after next year and thats that. two more years at about 8 per sounds good, and enough time to groom someone. if we piss him off then we piss him off :manny: who cares. if we good with him we sign a long term deal

As I recall isn't the franchise the average amount of the 3 highest paid players at that position?

If so, that would make him a 20m player. I`m not sure on the details on this though.

shyt, there would be nothing worse than giving this dude 18m a year for 7 years and having Harbaugh bounce and watching him go to a middle of the pack QB making 18m yearly.

And this comes from a man whose baby crib looks like
Bh4iMUAIUAA51iG.jpg
this right now.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
And there within lies the problem.

Giving Kaep 18m would be a whole lot easier if he got the job

As I recall isn't the franchise the average amount of the 3 highest paid players at that position?

If so, that would make him a 20m player. I`m not sure on the details on this though.

shyt, there would be nothing worse than giving this dude 18m a year for 7 years and having Harbaugh bounce and watching him go to a middle of the pack QB making 18m yearly.

And this comes from a man whose baby crib looks like
Bh4iMUAIUAA51iG.jpg
this right now.

Franchise tag for a QB this year is $16.192 Million. Franchise tag this year is irrelevant, though. It's the Franchise tag for next year that matters in relation to Kap.

Like I said, the way they structure the contract will be key.
If they basically give him all his guaranteed money in the first 3 years and then essentially make it a year to year contract, then the sting of him failing (if he does) won't be as bad.

But yeah, the mega contract is coming. $18.2 Million is the floor.

As far as resigning Aldon, they Niners will be able to resign him to a cap friendly deal on account of his off the field problems (or should be able to, anyways). I think they'll resign Crabs, too. I believe Iupati walks, though.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
if this happens (at this point it will), we'll have basically get behind the 'expand cap each year' wagon. considering we'll have jerreh and arthur blank on it already, its not the worst idea ever. they'll hate their teams getting cash-strapped too. we should have some breathing rooms if we hit on this draft. we'll be saying goodbye to iupati and one of aldon/crabs tho.

I'd keep Mike and Mike over Aldon if it were me. I'm scared of Aldon without Justin in front of him.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
I'd keep Mike and Mike over Aldon if it were me. I'm scared of Aldon without Justin in front of him.

There is some reason to be apprehensive, but if you trust Jimmy T to develop the players along the D Line, then this shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I have big expectations for Tank...

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
supply/demand is a blanket ass statement really

the supply of serviceable qbs is at highest its ever been in the league, thanks to the passing era.
25 qbs had a qb rating of 80 or higher, as compared to 16 in 2003
20 qbs had 19+ TD passes compared to 12 in 2003

and demand remains the same- its still the same 32 teams.

so you have a stanford degree, school me on economics here. besides inflation, the supply of serviceable qbs went up by roughly 50%. the demand stays constant. what should happen to the price ?
breh, this clearly isn't the case, which is why average QB's are getting big contracts..people want more than a "serviceable" QB - which I think Colin is - I can count 9 teams that would pay up for Colin. I get it, you'd love to build a Super Bowl team full of 5th round draft picks all on rookie wages, how many times do you need to repeat your "money ball" rhetoric
:beli:

Niners front office doesn't have to follow shyt

fukk kaep and his 18m
They don't, but what's our alternative? Keep thinking above average QB's will fall to us in the second-fourth round, we'll change QB's every four years and never have to pay....like I said, y'all need to stop being so fukkin hysterical, Niners FO has been solid with they way they structure contracts, stop playing GM. Some of y'all post like your opinions are the end all be all on this and as if anyone is listening. I simply find the hysteria annoying

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
how many times do you need to repeat your "money ball" rhetoric
as many times as I need to when I counter the "pay the poor kid fair price greedy owners, player x making that money he should be too" rhetoric
They don't, but what's our alternative?
has been answered many times by me.
Keep thinking above average QB's will fall to us in the second-fourth round,
and yet kaep did.
like I said, y'all need to stop being so fukkin hysterical, Niners FO has been solid with they way they structure contracts, stop playing GM. Some of y'all post like your opinions are the end all be all on this and as if anyone is listening. I simply find the hysteria annoying
and I find the 'pay the market price sit on our couch and accept any deal management done with loyal eyes 'sheep mentality annoying. I also find it annoying when people use blanket statements like supply/demand without actually thinking it through :manny:

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Jim Harbaugh insists contract, power aren't issues in San Francisco

Jim Harbaugh has taken the 49ers to the conference title game in three straight seasons.
Robert Beck/SI
There are a lot of rumors about Jim Harbaugh these days. He was almost traded to the Cleveland Browns. He wants more money. He wants more power. He will leave the San Francisco 49ers after the upcoming season, one year before his contract expires.

I asked Harbaugh about these rumors. Let's start with the last one first. Can he envision a scenario in which he leaves the 49ers before his contract expires?

"No," Harbaugh said. "Zero opportunity or chance of that in my mind."

Harbaugh said he would not negotiate in the media. Instead, our conversation was something of an anti-negotiation. He talked about all the things people think he wants.

"I see all these reports about how I want to be the highest-paid coach in football," Harbaugh said. "They presume I covet some kind of extension. I have never said to anybody that I want to be the highest-paid coach in football. I have never said that to anybody -- my wife, my brother, my dad. I make plenty of money.

"The other one is that I want more power. I have never said that, nor do I want any more power than I have. I coach the team. I've told my owner I don't want any more power. I want to coach the team. And I've never told anybody else otherwise."

The 49ers have been wildly successful in Harbaugh's three years: conference championship game, Super Bowl, conference championship game. The last team to repeatedly come so close to winning a Super Bowl without actually winning one was the Buffalo Bills two decades ago. The 49ers have done it with a straightforward front office structure. General manager Trent Baalke gets final say in the draft room. Harbaugh's voice is heard, but Baalke ultimately makes the decisions.

"Same things I signed on for when I signed on here as the coach," Harbaugh said. "That's been the structure since Day 1."

That structure is at the root of speculation about Harbaugh's future. There is a perception that Harbaugh and Baalke don't get along, and that owner Jed York will have to choose between them. Time will tell. But remember this: Some people can tolerate a higher level of creative tension than others, and what some see as an untenable situation, others see as a productive working relationship.

"We're both demanding and we want to be accountable for ourselves, for each other," Harbaugh said. "If you haven't had a brother, you probably don't understand the relationship between the GM and the head coach. We're partners on the same team. I have great respect for him. He works extremely hard at it and is very good at it. We are all part of a team. I believe in the structure we have. I don't want to change anything that we do in that regard."

As for reports that Baalke and Harbaugh barely communicate, Harbaugh said "we talk daily, hourly." (He was actually in a meeting with Baalke and others before we talked.)

I asked Harbaugh if he would like a hybrid general manager/coach role, and he said "No. I've never wanted more power. We have a great organization. Everybody in our organization works their tails off and does a very good job. Everybody does a little and adds it up to a lot."

There is no doubt that Harbaugh is demanding. Most football coaches are, and all of the great ones are. But if you think he will be unhappy without a contract extension this season, you need to understand Harbaugh is always comfortable betting on himself. His self-image is built on being underestimated and getting the job done anyway, not on having the highest salary. Most of his demands are likely to be in the name of winning, not fattening his wallet. Those khaki pants are cheap, you know.

"I have never been a guy that wants to get extensions," he says. "If the guy at the top is getting extensions every year or two, it sends everybody else to the water cooler. The reason is, in any kind of budget, you have so much money for coaches. At some point it comes down to a pool of money for the coaches. When I started out, I was making $5 million. You run back for an extension, it shrinks the pool."

When is the right time to talk about an extension?

"I don't know," Harbaugh says. "What I do know is this: I make plenty of money. And I don't do five times as much work as any other coach on the staff. I get paid extremely well. Jed York has always been square dealing with me. I don't think about that as an issue ... I've seen it written like fact: 'Harbaugh wants to be the highest paid coach in football', or 'desperately covets a new contract'. For the record: I make plenty of money. I mean, plenty of money.'"

In our conversation, Harbaugh did lobby for more money -- but not for himself. He said defensive coordinator Vic Fangio deserves a raise as part of an extension.

"He has not had a raise since he's been here. Focus on that."

Harbaugh also pointed out that he has two years left on his contract, and as he said, he sees "zero" chance of leaving before it's up. That means he and the 49ers have two years to negotiate an extension. Whatever you say about this situation, you can't say it is urgent.

"It's a principle to me that you never negotiate contracts in the press," he said. "It doesn't benefit anybody to do it publicly. I'm making this exception in talking to you right now and saying I'm not trying to get more money for myself. But I make plenty of money. I have plenty of security. If we have the highest-paid assistant coaches in football, the best coaches in football, I strive for that. Guilty as charged there."

The speculation about Harbaugh's future has simmered for a while, but it reached a boil when Pro Football Talk reported recently that the Browns attempted to acquire him. You can't fault the Browns for asking. But it seems relevant that the 49ers were not interested, and neither was Harbaugh.

"There was never any opportunity to leave the San Francisco 49ers," he says. "If that existed, it existed in somebody else's mind, not mine. I am too fond of my team, the players, the coaches. I really feel like we have one of the best, if not the best organizations in football."

He said that repeatedly: He loves working for the 49ers. Also, to be clear about this, in case there is any confusion, Harbaugh did not sound agitated. He was just answering the questions I asked.

The speculation about Harbaugh may persist -- that is part of sports and part of the media culture. A lot of people have opinions about the situation. Now you know Harbaugh's.

looks like all is good with harbaugh and the FO for now.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
oh and you dont have to listen to me. but Ill be here expressing my opinions and discussing things no matter what. when I feel the org is overpaying, I feel like its my money theyre overpaying and Ill say it. like jlova would say, deal with it. yall my Niners fam but I aint breaking my balls for anyone

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I'll only be furious if Kaep doesn't play up to that contract. I'll be even more furious if we trade Kaep and draft a QB that leads us to an 8-8 record and see folk in here complaining about it. Yea, I'll be furious as fukk.

This sums it up for me. I don't like paying Kaep that much money though, he better step the fukk up. As much as Harbs/Roman limit our offense to frustrating levels, Kaep better keep improving for 18M a year :ufdup: