A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
:wtf:

Kaep was a steal in the 2nd round and we are gonna let him walk. If thats the case we should have kept Alex Smith. Kaepernick is a 5 tool QB, all he has to do is improve his short game and he is a top 5 QB. You don't think his value would be high in an open market, dude is better than Jay Cutler and is asking for Cutler money, we were 31st in the league in pass attempts yet he is top 10 in efficiency and he avg in the top 10 in yds per attempt :mindblown:
why would we keep alex smith ? we got basically a late first rounder for him and another 2nd rounder this year, while saving 10m in cap space.

I really dont get the whole market price thing. theres no one saying they HAVE to follow market rules. yall pointing fingers at cutler, flacco etc....and saying if theyre getting this than qb x should be too.
NO, it should be EXACTLY the OTHER way around. you should be pointing at the contract and saying "never in a million years give this much money to a single player"

moneyball is making value, not being a sheep and paying market value just because the next gm shat in his pants and decided to pay his qb 20-30 million.

and fukk players. I could care less what they 'deserve' or whats 'fair'. aint no fair in this world. and if you root for players well being and 'fair salary' more than their value to the team per dollar, then fukk you too (I dont mean to insinuate anyone in particular here, btw, this is just generalization- whoever is fan of players over team is not a fan of the team in my eyes)

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
3 things I'd like to see this offseason is
1. Boldin resigning(which has happened)
2. Drafting a speedy receiver 1st round(maybe Brandin Cooks)
3. Possible Revis acquisition via trade

would be nice but cant afford him

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Here's the thing though...for those of you who would trade Kaep and draft a QB. What happens when that QB overachieves and asks for the going rate? Trade him and draft another QB? OK. Well, what if that QB overachieves? I'm not against moving on if the demands are unreasonable. But trading and replacing any young QB that overachieves is not really a good, long term solution anyways.

I see both sides. Just need a team to take a hard stand and rejig the QB salaries somehow. This shyt is madness.

Every year Anthony Davis's pass protection has improved. His sacks allowed per game has gone down, dude is 24 years old and is top 5 in sacks allowed and is almost unanimously considered the best run blocking right tackle in the league, has he made mistake in big games yes but we have by far the toughest defenses to play as well, we have elite pass rushers in our division plus we are perrenial playoff contenders also keep in mind only 1/3 of the contract is guanteed. Paraag Marathe is a genious.

Also like it or not Qb salaries are not going to go down, I would prefer we secure our guy than being in QB limbo again.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
would be nice but cant afford him
revis isnt happening. we probably couldve had him for cheaper last year than we can have him now.

we'll more likely to draft a corner, it looks like a decent draft class too

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
why would we keep alex smith ? we got basically a late first rounder for him and another 2nd rounder this year, while saving 10m in cap space.

I really dont get the whole market price thing. theres no one saying they HAVE to follow market rules. yall pointing fingers at cutler, flacco etc....and saying if theyre getting this than qb x should be too.
NO, it should be EXACTLY the OTHER way around. you should be pointing at the contract and saying "never in a million years give this much money to a single player"

moneyball is making value, not being a sheep and paying market value just because the next gm shat in his pants and decided to pay his qb 20-30 million.

and fukk players. I could care less what they 'deserve' or whats 'fair'. aint no fair in this world. and if you root for players well being and 'fair salary' more than their value to the team per dollar, then fukk you too (I dont mean to insinuate anyone in particular here, btw, this is just generalization- whoever is fan of players over team is not a fan of the team in my eyes)

I understand what you are saying but the thing is this, we have gotten away with paying great players less than market value for years, it won't go on for ever, and there is no QB in this draft (that we are in position to get) that will be better than Kaepernick.

You can't play money ball in football doesn't work long term. If you are a successful team (which we have been the last 3 years) teams are gonna look closely at your players, we cut guys at training camp last year that could have or should have been starters. We have players we cut that are starters/rotational guys for other teams (Parys Haralson, Cam Johnson, AJ Jenkins if u wanna keep it funky)

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
I understand what you are saying but the thing is this, we have gotten away with paying great players less than market value for years, it won't go on for ever, and there is no QB in this draft (that we are in position to get) that will be better than Kaepernick.

You can't play money ball in football doesn't work long term. If you are a successful team (which we have been the last 3 years) teams are gonna look closely at your players, we cut guys at training camp last year that could have or should have been starters. We have players we cut that are starters/rotational guys for other teams (Parys Haralson, Cam Johnson, AJ Jenkins if u wanna keep it funky)

:snoop:

how many nfl teams are successful long term?????

the pats thats it

so get ur bullshyt the :camby:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
To be clear, no way we should let him walk.

If we're okay with him leaving, lets see what we can get for em.

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

what film do u watch?

Its not film it's facts, I don't ever wanna wish bad things on OUR team but you know what I kinda wonder what happens when Kap gets a big contract else where and we sit here like :noah:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Then tell me why else the majority of the response is that he is not worth 18m.

A lot of it has to do with him simply not playing to that level.

And don't bring up Cutler, there's always been a saying about how there's always a dumb owner or two who will drastically overpay a player, that owner should never become the rule but the acceptance.

Response from who? I see 2 or 3 people who are against signing Kaep and would rather replace him with a rookie.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its not film it's facts, I don't ever wanna wish bad things on OUR team but you know what I kinda wonder what happens when Kap gets a big contract else where and we sit here like :noah:

They'd be wanking it to the cap room.:heh:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay

yes you can play moneyball. and theres no such thing as 'long-term' in football, really. but if you want to take 5-8 years dominance....steelers and ravens were able to play relatively moneyball last several years, before giving big contracts to their qbs.
hell the only reason we were able to make it work last 3 years is EXACTLY because of moneyball- we had a marginal qb on our hands with whom we made a cut-friendly contract, groomed a cheap young qb, and hit on a lot of CHEAP free agents and draftees, especially on defense.

playing moneyball is exactly why were able to compete for the superbowl last 3 years. otherwise wed still have nate clements and possibly an overpaid good but not great qb on our hands, with not much to spend on defense, and wed be getting shat on by seattle every year.