A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Kaep's a good QB, but we would have made the playoffs with a stiff at QB"

:why:

A stiff can't replace a good QB so you're pretty much saying Kaep is a stiff.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
quan re-upped :blessed:

18m for kaep :dahell:...I have no further comments besides what I said before people were delusional he was going to take a discount below 15m :mjlol: we finna overpay this fool long-term, and will have to pray he reaches close to his ceiling.

LurkMoar

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im not a 49er fan but y'alls defense is the truth, alex smith can make the NFC championship with it and he's the definition of average.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Here's the thing though...for those of you who would trade Kaep and draft a QB. What happens when that QB overachieves and asks for the going rate? Trade him and draft another QB? OK. Well, what if that QB overachieves? I'm not against moving on if the demands are unreasonable. But trading and replacing any young QB that overachieves is not really a good, long term solution anyways.
as long as we can win with our defense, I see zero problems with this strategy of re-using qbs. when our d becomes ass, it would be time to think about direction and maybe change that.

this is all moot point tho, I think barring some huge FO rift, kaep finna get signed for 18+ long term...

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So Marcus Lattimore was in town this weekend at the arnold classic i had the chance to ask him a question.

He seems confident in being able to be back 100% and help the squad. I'll try to upload a short video on youtube if i can. He seems like a real chill cat. He's a lot smaller (no homo) then what i thought he would be.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
y'all should worry more about aldon smith
whats there to worry about, if kaep commands 18+ we'll only be able to sign one of three out of aldon, iupati and crabtree. and my gut tells me it'll be crabs just to keep the weapons intact for kaep.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:beli:

the team looked like they slept walk through most of the regular season

if ur name aint brees, manning, rodgers, brady u aint worth 18m a year

Guess what? When the top QBs contracts are up....they will be getting $30M a year. That is the direction the league is going. You don't have to like it...that's fine. But that's how it is.

Draft a rookie and let him ride the D to a Super Bowl. Just don't come crying here when that doesn't work either.

Keep in mind, I don't want to cripple the team by giving Kaep a big contract. But this is exactly what I said would happen. He is going to get fair market value whether you like it or not. And if that draftee you want to replace him with has similar success before his deal is up, then he will want more money. And we'll draft another QB to replace him. Not really a practical solution IMO.

Hopefully it's structured to benefit the team.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
as long as we can win with our defense, I see zero problems with this strategy of re-using qbs. when our d becomes ass, it would be time to think about direction and maybe change that.

this is all moot point tho, I think barring some huge FO rift, kaep finna get signed for 18+ long term...

Can you think of a team that has won that way, though? I don't think you can play musical chairs with QBs, really and expect to have a successful team. Our D was great last year though. Not so great the year before (especially in the playoffs). I would agree with you if we didn't have HaRoman handicapping the O.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
Can you think of a team that has won that way, though? I don't think you can play musical chairs with QBs, really and expect to have a successful team. Our D was great last year though. Not so great the year before (especially in the playoffs). I would agree with you if we didn't have HaRoman handicapping the O.
what team has consistently stayed relevant for many years beside the pats?

all teams go up and down (Cept pats) giving kaep that contract will doom this team

i rather go on 4 year intervals drafting a new qb instead of overpaying for kaep

have vernon, crab, gore, boldin and be mediocre passing the ball brehs

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
why isnt it 'practical' ?
only because qb position is holy cow status for no real reason. no one ever thinks its impractical to do this to any other position :heh:

we made 3 nfcs and a sb with alex smith in a new offense, a 1st year starter with like 6 starts under his belt and a second year starter
the hags nearly made nfc game appearance last year with a rookie and then won it all with a second year player this year

as long as defense plays on the same level, we'll be always be in contention. and when it doesn't, no qb will help us.