A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora passes along "increasing buzz" from the Combine that the 49ers may ultimately have to decide between keeping coach Jim Harbaugh and GM Trent Baalke.

La Canfora reports Harbaugh and Baalke are "barely speaking," with "almost all" of their communication going through email. Harbaugh's relationship with club president Paraag Marathe is also "strained." Harbaugh has two years left on his contract, and is one of the NFL's most underpaid coaches. He's entrenched as the 49ers' coach for 2014, but the franchise may revisit the idea of "trading" him next offseason. La Canfora writes that he's "long expected" Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to attempt to trade for Harbaugh. Ross aggressively targeted Harbaugh to replace Tony Sparano as head coach in January of 2011.

:lupe:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I had the same problem got surgery and still can't straighten my leg, all the way

:to:

It's crazy how players come back from these injuries so quickly and at optimal condition. I partially tore my knee and took me years to be "normal" again and never played ice hockey again. Of course athletes are in top physical condition, but it's still pretty cool.

As for Roman. He's not going anywhere. I think Harbaugh may have more influence on the passing offense and gameplanning than we may think. :bryan:

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
Niners get Dahl to take a pay cut...
They're also more optomistic about resigning Legal Hitner

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...-more-optimistic-about-retaining-whitner.html

The 49ers have reduced the 2014 salary of safety Craig Dahl, the primary backup behind starters Donte Whitner and Eric Reid in 2013. According the the NFLPA's database, Dahl's salary dropped from $1.35 million to $825,000, a savings of $525,000. The reduction was first noted by the website,ninercaphell.com.

If Whitner, who becomes an unrestricted free agent March 11, moves on to another team, Dahl would becomes the de facto backup, at least until the draft. However, sources at the combine in Indianapolis said the 49ers are now more optimistic they can re-sign Whitner, one of the veteran leaders in the locker room, than they were before the combine when they figured they would lose the veteran to a team with more salary-cap space. Whitner still could test the free-agent market. But he wants to be back with the 49ers, and there promises to be more room under the salary cap than previously expected.

That Dahl reduced his salary is another indication the 49ers don't envision a big role for him in the upcoming season. The team signed him to a three-year, $5.25 million free-agent deal last year.

Another option is special teams ace C.J. Spillman. He is big and fast, one of the hardest hitters on the team and also is bright. He's been used as a safety in goal-line situations over the past few years but otherwise has not had a big role on defense. I've been told by multiple sources that Spillman's issue is that he's a "9-to-5 guy." That is, he doesn't put in the amount of work coaches want to see from a starter.

The 49ers reduced receiver Jon Baldwin's pay from $1.4 million to $645,000 last week.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@timkawakami: Sounds like the 49ers/Anquan Boldin situation is down to waiting for him to say yes to either a 2- or 3-year deal.”

Tim Kawakami ✔ @timkawakami
Source I spoke to says same thing @mattbarrows is reporting (http://bit.ly/MVkOXf): 49ers optimistic about re-signing S Donte Whitner.

Tim Kawakami ✔ @timkawakami
Harbaugh and Trent Baalke are working together at the combine in Indy, source says. Of course not buddy-buddy, but there is communication.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
dont really see why we're keeping dahl, dude is garbage as a safety. hes good on special team, but man we need to stop with them swiss army knife players bs

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dont really see why we're keeping dahl, dude is garbage as a safety. hes good on special team, but man we need to stop with them swiss army knife players bs
dudes a backup, he does his role fine

the real question is do they draft a safety in the second or third to groom to replace whitner if hes resigned

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
dudes a backup, he does his role fine

the real question is do they draft a safety in the second or third to groom to replace whitner if hes resigned
meh. both times reid got hurt we sucked in secondary afterwards, against teams who struggled on offense nonetheless

and reid is a concussion risk too at this point, gotta be considered.

this team is too conservative in terms of personnel, man. we value guys who 'know the system' a lot more than new guys who can make the team better. Im convinced ian williams cannot do a better job than dorsey yet he won the NT job.

this is my biggest fear going into this draft, which is stacked. we still have tons of talent on the team and arent comfortable with giving chances to rookies.