A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10511439

San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York says the team wants to keep Jim Harbaugh and had "no interest" in a deal to send the coach to the Cleveland Browns.York addressed Harbaugh-to-Cleveland reports Monday in an interview with the Sacramento Bee. Although he acknowledged the Browns inquired about Harbaugh, York emphasized that the Niners quickly rejected the proposed deal.

"Not far at all," York told the Bee when asked how far talks progressed. "We had no interest in entering those discussions."Pro Football Talk reported Friday that the Browns and 49ers were close to a deal that would have sent multiple draft picks to San Francisco as compensation for Harbaugh, who ultimately rejected a move to Cleveland.York took to Twitter on Friday to refute the report. He explained his quick denial to the Bee, saying that the teams were never as close to a deal as Pro Football Talk had indicated.He also repeated that the Niners want to secure a long-term deal with Harbaugh."We want Jim to be our head coach, and we've said that very clearly," York told the paper.Harbaugh, who has coached the Niners to three consecutive appearances in the NFC Championship Game, also refuted the initial report last week, telling ESPN he was not aware of any deal with the Browns.Cleveland, which has not denied its interest in Harbaugh, released a statement Friday that confirmed the team's confidence in new coach Mike Pettine, who was hired Jan. 23.Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said talks occurred with the Niners about Harbaugh, telling USA Today Sports that nothing materialized.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
:huh:

I know that breh. I'm asking if the Baalke/Paraag dynamic regarding contracts is similar to Harbaugh/Roman regarding the offense. Meaning, do we know for sure Baalke is the main guy behind them contracts? I remember reading somebody saying Paraag had a big saying in that subject but he may have just been talking out of his ass, that's why I wanna know :manny:
oh yeah Im not sure about this. imo paraag was waay more prominent before baalke stepped through and assumed power. we had shytty contracts under paraag's tenure (which was pretty long) on the FO

Daps
Kaepernick needs to be re-evaluated in detail.

16 million being the low number is nuts. He has a long way to go, and this team could be crippled by a 18-20m QB contract.

If they're worried about paying people, i`d let Kaep hit the road before Harbaugh. I believe Harbaugh could groom another QB, I don't see the mystery coach out there whose gonna have us in constant contention for the SB like Jim has.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
dudes a backup, he does his role fine

the real question is do they draft a safety in the second or third to groom to replace whitner if hes resigned
If we resign Whitner, I highly doubt we spend a pick on a safety in the first 3 rounds. Probably middle rounds is when we'd draft a safety to compete with Dahl for the backup spot.

If Whitner leaves, then we'll obviously draft a safety in the first 2 rounds.

The other question I have is Spillman; He's been on the team for a while and plays the safety position in goal line situations. I wonder if he'd compete for the SS job?

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
Kaepernick needs to be re-evaluated in detail.

16 million being the low number is nuts. He has a long way to go, and this team could be crippled by a 18-20m QB contract.

If they're worried about paying people, i`d let Kaep hit the road before Harbaugh. I believe Harbaugh could groom another QB, I don't see the mystery coach out there whose gonna have us in constant contention for the SB like Jim has.

That's just the going rate for above average QB's. They're using Cutler's contract as the floor.

Also, whatever they pay Kap has nothing to do with what they pay Harbaugh. His money doesn't go against the cap.

Daps
That's just the going rate for above average QB's. They're using Cutler's contract as the floor.

Also, whatever they pay Kap has nothing to do with what they pay Harbaugh. His money doesn't go against the cap.

I know it doesn't, but it suggests the overall nature of this franchise being concerned about spending money.

Just because the NFL has some dipshyt logic doesn't mean we need to adopt it as well. The reason we been so good is because we haven't been crippled by that QB contract.

I`m perfectly fine with Kaep getting 13-15, but if you're going over 16m that's a problem

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
I know it doesn't, but it suggests the overall nature of this franchise being concerned about spending money.

Just because the NFL has some dipshyt logic doesn't mean we need to adopt it as well. The reason we been so good is because we haven't been crippled by that QB contract.

I`m perfectly fine with Kaep getting 13-15, but if you're going over 16m that's a problem

I'm thinking he's going to get $18 million. It all depends on how they structure the contract, basically.

Maybe they'll back load the contract and renegotiate it in 3 years. That would be ideal.

AITheAnswerAI

Ethereous one
Supporter
Daps
If Kaep won a superbowl or two by this time then yeah sure give him that 18mil/year contract, however, since he hasn't I think it's kind of ridiculous to pay him more than 14mil/year. At the same time you don't want to lose him, he has potential, along with a canon for an arm and wide receiver speed. You don't let young players with that potential who have only been in the league a few years leave like that.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

I don't want to see him with outrageous numbers either, but :comeon: @ the bolded. We haven't had a QB worth shyt for damn near a decade, if Kap is the one, then that payday comes, I'd like to have a franchise QB, Kap or someone else, it's ridiculous how many QB's we went through from 04-10.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
I don't want to see him with outrageous numbers either, but :comeon: @ the bolded. We haven't had a QB worth shyt for damn near a decade, if Kap is the one, then that payday comes, I'd like to have a franchise QB, Kap or someone else, it's ridiculous how many QB's we went through from 04-10.
Ok and giving out a awful qb contract puts u back in mediocrity

D is stacked

Billion draft picks

Don't need to pay a qb 18m that is laughable

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Ok and giving out a awful qb contract puts u back in mediocrity

D is stacked

Billion draft picks

Don't need to pay a qb 18m that is laughable
as i said, i'm not with paying Kap that based on how he's performed to date, but if he proved to be a top 10 QB consistently (or someone else does that we draft) then I don't mind paying the price for a franchise QB. Having a QB merry-go-round simply to avoid a big contract creates a mediocre team as well

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
as i said, i'm not with paying Kap that based on how he's performed to date, but if he proved to be a top 10 QB consistently (or someone else does that we draft) then I don't mind paying the price for a franchise QB. Having a QB merry-go-round simply to avoid a big contract creates a mediocre team as well
Look who has won the Super Bowl

U either win with a elite qb or elite defense

We have a elite defense not a elite qb

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Look who has won the Super Bowl

U either win with a elite qb or elite defense

We have a elite defense not a elite qb
i haven't said anything to the contrary. everything i've said has supported the idea of paying a top/elite QB, which i said Kap isn't right now, so where is the issue? at the end of the day, we're not drawing up nor signing any papers so we all can pout about these RUMORED numbers or let the full story play out, including how they handle other contracts should Kaep really end up getting 16M+