A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
but if these rumors are true, between this and kaep hinting hed take a good discount to keep team together...shyts definitely encouraging.

for the most part, the FO has done well managing the cap and extending key players without overpaying under this regime

i think we're gonna see some deals heat up and get done after the combine

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
for the most part, the FO has done well managing the cap and extending key players without overpaying under this regime

i think we're gonna see some deals heat up and get done after the combine
its finna be interesting what changes are coming in the secondary, since I think its definitely the area where the most changes are going to happen, if any.

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its finna be interesting what changes are coming in the secondary, since I think its definitely the area where the most changes are going to happen, if any.

most definitely

only reid and brock will have starting spots locked up. i think los will be cut and whitner/brown will walk. we could bring back cox or wright for cheap and cully will compete for a starting job too but we need to draft both a safety and a corner within the first 3 rounds

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Hope so

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Fair to say that
sssO6Qg.png
is in a contract year this upcoming season?

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I got a question about AD. He's had 4 seasons already but he is young as fukk (he's only 24), can he keep improving? @yseJ @B90X have you seen enough from him to be worried about that contract or do you think he can keep getting better?

Been watching this kid since he was in pop warner (he played with my nephew) but I don't think I'm over biased. Anthony Davis was not as good this year as he was last year, but he is low key one of the best right tackles in the league as a whole and considering his age, he can only improve, offensive linemen don't really hit their prime until about 27-28. He just needs to refine his technique and keep his head on a swivel more effectively on passing plays, but even with those issues, he is one of the best in the league, and really his contract is very reasonable for the talent he brings, we are spoiled.

most definitely

only reid and brock will have starting spots locked up. i think los will be cut and whitner/brown will walk. we could bring back cox or wright for cheap and cully will compete for a starting job too but we need to draft both a safety and a corner within the first 3 rounds

I think Whitner comes back for less money, he likes the team and our defensive system favors his style of play. Brown will walk, after Vontae Davis and Aqib Talib, he would be far and away the best free agent CB. If we are smart we sign Cox to a multi year deal, he was better than Eric Wright and he is a good depth corner, he's still fairly young and is experienced in our system. Plus we get Cully back. As far as the draft goes I would go after the best corner available in the 1st round and also I would consider getting a big physical corner like Keith McGill or Stanley Jean Baptiste.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
Looks like the Niners will open up on the road

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lar-season-game-at-levis-stadium-in-week-two/

Per Branch, the plan is to have the 49ers play their second and third preseason games at home and then take a few weeks to make sure everything is ready to go for an expected Sunday night debut.

I guess that puts us in the running for the game against Seattle on Thursday night, but I still think it's a long shot. No matter who the Seahawks play that night, it's the first game of the NFL regular season, so that game is going to do numbers anyways.

Kind of curious, though, to see where we open up. Schedule comes out in April...

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
I think Whitner comes back for less money, he likes the team and our defensive system favors his style of play. Brown will walk, after Vontae Davis and Aqib Talib, he would be far and away the best free agent CB. If we are smart we sign Cox to a multi year deal, he was better than Eric Wright and he is a good depth corner, he's still fairly young and is experienced in our system. Plus we get Cully back. As far as the draft goes I would go after the best corner available in the 1st round and also I would consider getting a big physical corner like Keith McGill or Stanley Jean Baptiste.

I think Whitner comes back for a fair price, too. Even though he can cash out, he's said he likes being in San Francisco and playing for a contender. I think he feels like his time in Buffalo was wasted because he was playing meaningless games at the end of the year.
I think the Niners have an outside shot of resigning Brown, too. I believe I read somewhere that the contract that Brock took was essentially the same contract they offered Brown. He'll test FA, but he might come back on a 1 year deal or something. Even so, I think we still draft corners. Do we draft a corner in the 1st round? I don't know. The staff has shown a good eye for getting corners in the middle to late rounds of the draft, so maybe they have something higher on their list.
As far as Cox, he was descent. It'll be interesting to see if the Niners sign Cox or Wright. I know Baalke really pushed for Wright, but the coaching staff obviously trusted Cox down the stretch.

Also, if the Niners and Kap don't get a contract ironed out, I'd look for the Niners to draft a QB in the later rounds as an "insurance" policy.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
You sure?

I dunno man, I say let him play it out.

The reason I say this is so far, just based on the way that we have played, Kaepernick has taken us to a Super Bowl and and NFC Championship game. If we have a similar season, dude is gonna look for close to Jay Cutler money and you and I both agree Kaep is a far better QB than Jay Cutler. I think Kap has a lot of upside still, and he has a great skillset as it is (coaches need to set him up better at times but that's another story). Even if we make the offs and get bounced in the 1st round, his market value will be incredibly high. He gonna make money regardless but if he give him a nice cap friendly contract maybe like a 6 year 80-90 million contract with incentives everybody wins.

Daps
The reason I say this is so far, just based on the way that we have played, Kaepernick has taken us to a Super Bowl and and NFC Championship game. If we have a similar season, dude is gonna look for close to Jay Cutler money and you and I both agree Kaep is a far better QB than Jay Cutler. I think Kap has a lot of upside still, and he has a great skillset as it is (coaches need to set him up better at times but that's another story). Even if we make the offs and get bounced in the 1st round, his market value will be incredibly high. He gonna make money regardless but if he give him a nice cap friendly contract maybe like a 6 year 80-90 million contract with incentives everybody wins.

I agree he has a crazy amount of upside, but he still has a lot to prove.

Just cause every bum QB gets a grip doesn't mean we should go with that though, i`d like to see us be very careful with the amount of money we allot to the QB position

I also think the defense had a lot to do with us getting where we got this year, last year it was more centered around Kaepernick's play.