A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
:sas1:
So you just gonna ignore this part of the paragraph?

:sas2:
significant is the word... might is the other word

again.. if all he wants is years, and no extra money... then why would the niners drag their feet and then give money to a bunch of other wr, trade for another and draft another??

i don't get it man... we don't even have 2 mil under the cap... we have about 5 stars who need totally new contracts who are YOUNG and WILL ask for more money

we have kaep STARTING his negotiations at 20 mil a year

if vernon wants 2 extra mil a year... where we getting it from?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Welp, I'm hoping we get over that hump this year, cuz between contracts and the beast that is the NFC west, I'm kinda :lupe: about the future. And lord knows if that Harbaugh drama is actually over

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Welp, I'm hoping we get over that hump this year, cuz between contracts and the beast that is the NFC west, I'm kinda :lupe: about the future. And lord knows if that Harbaugh drama is actually over
thats why the emphasis in the draft lately has been on the future, I guess

imo as long as defense holds it together we'll be fine. tank stepping up this year is a must, and ward needs to be a fast learner.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thats why the emphasis in the draft lately has been on the future, I guess

imo as long as defense holds it together we'll be fine. tank stepping up this year is a must, and ward needs to be a fast learner.
tank challenging mcdonald and taking his spot would be the best scenario

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
tank challenging mcdonald and taking his spot would be the best scenario
I doubt thats happening, they see him on the right side subbing in for justin. tje is the backup to mcdonald, and hes done well last year

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Can we please stop with the real fan garbage? It adds nothing to the discussion. I'll catch y'all when the reg season gets near.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
significant is the word... might is the other word

again.. if all he wants is years, and no extra money... then why would the niners drag their feet and then give money to a bunch of other wr, trade for another and draft another??

i don't get it man... we don't even have 2 mil under the cap... we have about 5 stars who need totally new contracts who are YOUNG and WILL ask for more money

we have kaep STARTING his negotiations at 20 mil a year

if vernon wants 2 extra mil a year... where we getting it from?

Well, for arguments sake let's say the Niners agree to renegotiate VD's contract this year. Nothing would get done until after June 1, in which Los contract would come off the books; I believe that frees up something like $6 million dollars.

VD this year has a cap hit of $7 million this year; If he restructures for more years, it's likely that he takes less money this year in order to get, let's say, 3 extra years on his contract. Or maybe they drop his base to like $5 million and spread the other $2 million over the life of the contract as a bonus. This frees up more money this year for the Niners to sign other potential free agents.
We would also have to take into account that increasing salary cap and how that would factor into the money decision.

There's multiple ways for the Niners to generate more money. I don't necessarily think VD wants more money this year or wants a pay raise; Like I said, I just think he wants more years on his contract preferably at the rate he's being paid now.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Well, for arguments sake let's say the Niners agree to renegotiate VD's contract this year. Nothing would get done until after June 1, in which Los contract would come off the books; I believe that frees up something like $6 million dollars.

VD this year has a cap hit of $7 million this year; If he restructures for more years, it's likely that he takes less money this year in order to get, let's say, 3 extra years on his contract. Or maybe they drop his base to like $5 million and spread the other $2 million over the life of the contract as a bonus. This frees up more money this year for the Niners to sign other potential free agents.
We would also have to take into account that increasing salary cap and how that would factor into the money decision.

There's multiple ways for the Niners to generate more money. I don't necessarily think VD wants more money this year or wants a pay raise; Like I said, I just think he wants more years on his contract preferably at the rate he's being paid now.
i agree that could work...

what the main issue is for our team tho is kaep... nikka wants 20 fukking million dollars.. trust me, i'm more upset with him than anybody

now i can understand you want to get paid, who doesn't.. but don't come out talking bout i'll help the team and help get free agents, then turn around and ask for 20 million A YEAR

so what's that cap hit gonna be... even if we get him for say, 15 mil a year.. it's gonna bankrupt us

then we have aldon smith... money (his money, nfl money) says he won't see a day of jailtime.. and since we just picked up his 5th year, it's looking like he won't be going anywhere.. unless he restructures, we looking at 9.something million dollar cap hit with him for next year

next we have mr. rookie holdout, crabtree... that's all that needs to be said... how much will he demand

i'm feeling like most people, and going off what history tells us.. unless you are the patriots, you pretty much have a very short window to stay great and compete for super bowls.. we've had about 3 years of serious runs... i believe we'll be in the mix this year as well

but all these contracts are coming up.. all our major stars all at the same time.. and we already dead ass broke

i just don't see how we gonna retain all these people.. and honestly.. if it was as cut and dry and we want to believe, they'd simply have resigned VD by now.. they've known for 4 months now.. how many players were signed since february??

it's obvious they holding back... shyt he got 2 more years, i bet he can't nor won't hold out for 2 seasons... but it's just not looking good for our cap situations right now.. i mean fukk.. we all forgetting we can't even resign our coach right now .. i know that's not a cap issue but fukk

and i admit it... this whole thing got me in my feelings.. we can't go back to 2000s 49ers... please no

Daps
nikka get the fukk outta here.. i been riding with the niners since before you were alive

these are his playoff stats... last year... 5 motherfukking receptions.. 10.. and 12... mind you that's nfc championship twice and superbowl

lets stop acting like he had some mind blowing numbers out here

t

So you been riding with SF since before I was alive (1983 eh?) but yet, you like many others, seems to have popped up over the last few years to rep them on the internet.

You're a dime a dozen type clown.

And if you know anything about Vernon, his value as a blocker and his dedication to the team and his lack of focus on numbers is what makes him great.

You gonna discount him and Boldin making up 95% of the TD's caught in the regular season? Do you seriosuly think he is scared? Sounds like some shyt someone who never watched VD before 2012 would say

Daps
We don't have to cut anybody cause he's already on the team.
I don't know why it's so hard to fathom that he wants YEARSand not necessarily money.

Think about what Justin Smith did; He wanted to keep playing, so he signed an extension and that paid him but didn't break the bank for us; he was looking for years and not necessarily money. In my opinion, that's what VD wants...a fair contract that allows him to continue playing.
Also, for what it's worth, this contract issue isn't new. The Niners have known VD wants a new contract since Feb.

It's pretty easy to understand why people can't fathom that, it's because they already created a narrative of what VD wants in their head.

Just listen to Venem, he already wants him off the team.

Daps

I been saying that for a minute.

The reality is we could have watched the window close possibly, the reality is there is a lot of shaky ground on this team in many areas. it might work out, it might not. But I do think we have a shot to win it this year, so it's kinda bowl or bust.