A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
As far as our team goes the offense needs a deep threat. You can't have our running game and have the only deep threat being our TE. I guess you could say Manningham was our deep threat, but they had him running curls like the rest of the WR core. It's too bad Sammy Watkins will be gone by the time our pick comes around.
what good does a deep threat do if you only finna put him out there like 5-10 snaps a game ?
truth is we run out a 1-WR set the majority of time and I believe we are last in the league in 2+ WR formation snaps

thats the thing. Mario was a great deep threat for Giants. we barely ran him deep. we arent the team to run out bunch formations. Ginn wasnt used last year at all and he was half-decent deep threat

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
shiiit I just checked ginn had 68 targets this year, according to espn
he had 70 the whole time he was with us (2010+2011+2012)

I dont see why shyt would change if we get a speedster who needs development and let go of Boldin. speedster fukks up a few times, staff and kaep loses trust, tries to force feed crabs and/or vd.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
When you think about receivers, you don't think pro bowl or all pro or nothing. Boldin is a fukking beast. But he ain't about to burn anybody on a go route. Neither is crabs. And crabs ain't muscling nobody like Boldin is.

Y'all are right. Our offense ain't designed for the deep pass or lots of passing. That's the damn problem. When it's crunch time and we down 14 or we need to get points up in 3 minutes or we need a high fade in the red zone..... It don't happen
both boldin and crabs have had 1100+ yard seasons. both of them ranked in top 5 yards/route run. obviously you cant quite extrapolate that, but if you did, and we passed 650 times instead of having the lowest attempts in the league...and those averages were the same...theyd be top 10 wrs by production.

we just dont run enough routes compared to the premiere/all pro WRs who get tons of pass attempts and as a result run many more routes

for a qb to throw a successful fade, you actually need a qb who can throw a succesful fade. kaep isnt that guy, yet...at all. I havent seen a single successful fade from kaep yet....the closest Ive seen is jumpball to boldin. this is why those fade attempts in the SB are so bad from coaching pov. the coaches went with the weakness over strength.

again, you think the problem is with WRs, I disagree. what the problem is, is hard to tell.
I do know that to get an all-pro WR wed need to nail it in the draft AND wait like 3 years. even sure-fire guys like megatron werent all-pros till much later in their career. couple it with staff track record at developing offensive talent besides kaep and we're more likely looking at a bust than an all-pro anytime soon.
and if youre willing to wait 3+ years for an all-pro WR, I dont really see why not wait same amount of time for a new QB who will be much cheaper, if the situation demands that

calh45

Cal
Daps
this is a problem with developing Kaep as a pocket passer tho. we are contenders every year, and lots of times when you need to win, its best to let him do what he does best (which is not pass in most cases but run). this is the same problem that persists in HS and college with coaches who dont groom black qbs because their athleticism allows them to win games now, but not prepare them for the NFL

This was for the super bowl. You do development in the pre-season and throughout the regular season. When it's the NFC championship game you gotta throw all of that out of the window and just go for the best way to get your team to win. There wouldn't have been anything wrong with telling Kaep "I'm putting a bunch to the left, I want you to escape right and do something. We still got 2 timeouts". We got on Sing for bad game management. Same applies for Harbs. I get the development conundrum, but in that spot you gotta go with what's working until they stop it.

calh45

Cal
Daps

I dont see why shyt would change if we get a speedster who needs development and let go of Boldin. speedster fukks up a few times, staff and kaep loses trust, tries to force feed crabs and/or vd.

We do need a number one, but those are hard to come by. It's easier to find a speedster and give him genuine opportunities. They gave Ginn the ball and he produced. It wasn't just using him as a decoy either. I don't think Harbs knows how to call a game with deep threats. Every team/offense needs a home run hitter. We only have one at QB and TE. Our backup RBs could be home run hitters, but they barely get any carries.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I don't think we need to add any receiving threats. We just need to make better use of the guys we have now.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
This was for the super bowl. You do development in the pre-season and throughout the regular season. When it's the NFC championship game you gotta throw all of that out of the window and just go for the best way to get your team to win. There wouldn't have been anything wrong with telling Kaep "I'm putting a bunch to the left, I want you to escape right and do something. We still got 2 timeouts". We got on Sing for bad game management. Same applies for Harbs. I get the development conundrum, but in that spot you gotta go with what's working until they stop it.
I agree. Im saying why its kinda tough to develop a qb in this situation where the most instinctive thing he can do is do a quick read and run.
and yeah, this wasnt a bad thing to do against the hags, who had trouble stopping kaep but no trouble defending the pass.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
We do need a number one, but those are hard to come by. It's easier to find a speedster and give him genuine opportunities. They gave Ginn the ball and he produced. It wasn't just using him as a decoy either. I don't think Harbs knows how to call a game with deep threats. Every team/offense needs a home run hitter. We only have one at QB and TE. Our backup RBs could be home run hitters, but they barely get any carries.
lmj went for a fly route the seattle game :manny:

its not that we suck calling a game with deep threats per se, harbs mentatlity is conservative football. unless that guy is wide open or a huge mismatch he wont advise you to throw the ball to him.

Ive seen kyle, vance and others open enough on deep routes but kaep either didnt see them or didnt trust them. as a result, harroman started to call deep routes to clear out space for other routes. we call a ton of those if youve seen- pick routes and mesh routes to get a primary guy open

Daps
I`m at the point where i`m fine with this team getting offensive players with the first 4-5 draft picks, no joke.

Colin let us down with that last pass, but the talent is there. Do what other organizations do and just spoil the QB with talent to throw to.

Grab 2 WR's in the top 3 rounds, grab another RB, grab some line help as depth.

Even if the defense gets a little worse, I want to see this offense get a lot better.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I`m at the point where i`m fine with this team getting offensive players with the first 4-5 draft picks, no joke.

Colin let us down with that last pass, but the talent is there. Do what other organizations do and just spoil the QB with talent to throw to.

Grab 2 WR's in the top 3 rounds, grab another RB, grab some line help as depth.

Even if the defense gets a little worse, I want to see this offense get a lot better.
I doubt that happens, I actually think most picks will be on defense, at least the early ones. if whitner los and brown all walk we definitely going DB again in early rounds. if boldin walks we'll get 1 WR in early rounds...but thats it imo. doubt a RB will be chosen anywhere in the first 5 rounds seeing how we have Frankie, Lattimore Hunter LMJ and Boobie

calh45

Cal
Daps
lmj went for a fly route the seattle game :manny:

its not that we suck calling a game with deep threats per se, harbs mentatlity is conservative football. unless that guy is wide open or a huge mismatch he wont advise you to throw the ball to him.

Ive seen kyle, vance and others open enough on deep routes but kaep either didnt see them or didnt trust them. as a result, harroman started to call deep routes to clear out space for other routes. we call a ton of those if youve seen- pick routes and mesh routes to get a primary guy open

Speaking of LMJ. I know I'm in the minority, but I was saying Hunter and LMJ should've been given the bulk of the carries throughout the year anyway. I think Frank should be phased out. He got d-lineman catching him from behind and shyt.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Speaking of LMJ. I know I'm in the minority, but I was saying Hunter and LMJ should've been given the bulk of the carries throughout the year anyway. I think Frank should be phased out. He got d-lineman catching him from behind and shyt.
frank's blocking is light years ahead of those guys tho. his vision too. he makes our line look much better in pass pro than it is. and he will see holes others wont see.

lmj sucks as a runner. he can be a gimmicky very poor man's darren sproles in the right offense (but sproles can actually run the ball NOT like a p*ssy)

I dont see why hunter barely got any carries tho, I agree there.