A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

Daps
On that play, Los actually had decent coverage. Baldwin was also (wide) open on the play, and I actually think Russ was throwing to Baldwin, so if Kearse doesn't make that catch, Baldwin does.

My thing is this, if you're going to jump offsides, just go all out and make the refs blow the play dead. Nothing good ever comes of starting and the stopping.
Yep the start stop killed us there

Also little talked about mistake, when Lynch got the TD Brock went to knock the ball out at the 5 instead of a tackle he could have made to set up a goal line stand

NegMawon

Rookie
Daps
Thats always been my concern with Kap he doesnt have any real touch on his passes he either over throws or underthrows...he did the same thing against Maxwell in the second game he put too much air underneath instead of leading Crabtree...makes you wonder how hard hes working on those type of throws it maybe 1 of those things he never gets a grasp on ..

Another things that bothers me its no secret that Seattle sits in that Cover 3 the majority of the game and zones up everything underneath and pretty much stacks the box Roman could of easily used Crabtree on that fade route and use VD to run underneath on a corner he would of occuppied that Seattle LB and if Kap didnt like the look he could of easily hit Patton on the weakside because that other corner had already bailed

Daps
Thats always been my concern with Kap he doesnt have any real touch on his passes he either over throws or underthrows...he did the same thing against Maxwell in the second game he put too much air underneath instead of leading Crabtree...makes you wonder how hard hes working on those type of throws it maybe 1 of those things he never gets a grasp on ..

Another things that bothers me its no secret that Seattle sits in that Cover 3 the majority of the game and zones up everything underneath and pretty much stacks the box Roman could of easily used Crabtree on that fade route and use VD to run underneath on a corner he would of occuppied that Seattle LB and if Kap didnt like the look he could of easily hit Patton on the weakside because that other corner had already bailed

The reality of it all is this was just another game that reminded us of how far Kaepernick has to go as a passer.

He carried the offense in the playoffs, but that had a lot to do with the legs.

He leaves a lot left to be desired in the passing game, but I believe he can get there, he just needs to admit his mistakes (which he mostly does) and study why he is making them

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
finally finished the coaches film

tbh there was very little of missed opportunities on offense in passing, that cover 3 was played a ton and it was extremely effective in taking out VD. I counted two instances of where kaep couldve thrown to a better guy (not counting the final play). one shouldve been a check down to gore all by himself but kaep threw it one on one to crabs. this one is no biggie

the other was big tho. on the fumble play, the corner covering crabs slips, but kaep stares down the receiver (patton ?) so much earl thomas starts racing towards him before ball is even thrown. if kaep sees crabs and hits him, its a TD. I dont think kaep is one-read at all, but sometimes he stares down waaay too much. I think hed be very effective on pump fakes and throwing fast to direction he isnt quite looking at, because defenses cheat like crazy towards that. anyway, instead kaep rolls left trying to get his main read to come in, DE beats anthony davis like a homeless dog and we have a fumble
5Rm2jDI.png

O6ceqLj.png

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
finally finished the coaches film

tbh there was very little of missed opportunities on offense in passing, that cover 3 was played a ton and it was extremely effective in taking out VD. I counted two instances of where kaep couldve thrown to a better guy (not counting the final play). one shouldve been a check down to gore all by himself but kaep threw it one on one to crabs. this one is no biggie

the other was big tho. on the fumble play, the corner covering crabs slips, but kaep stares down the receiver (patton ?) so much earl thomas starts racing towards him before ball is even thrown. if kaep sees crabs and hits him, its a TD. I dont think kaep is one-read at all, but sometimes he stares down waaay too much. I think hed be very effective on pump fakes and throwing fast to direction he isnt quite looking at, because defenses cheat like crazy towards that. anyway, instead kaep rolls left trying to get his main read to come in, DE beats anthony davis like a homeless dog and we have a fumble
5Rm2jDI.png

O6ceqLj.png
Where do u get the coaches film?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Let explain myself about receivers. We been to the NFC championship 3 years straight. Super Bowl once. We are a GREAT team. So really if we could resign everyone. We're still a top 5 team in this league easy.

My point is that shyt ain't gonna happen. So like all teams, 30th to 1st, you gonna look to improve and sure up your team in the off season.

How?? Free agency and draft. And we have little to no free agent money. So I said draft. We got like 15-16 picks. We can trade up. Or trade picks for players or sign and trade. Whatever

But I look at my team. Which I been watching since 85. Our defense was still top when singletary was coaching. I'm not concerned about that falling apart. Special teams is good. Offense is good. But if I had to pick ONE that needs the most attention, it'd be the offense

So I look at offense. We throwing Kaep in the bushes after 2 seasons. Nope. We got a top o line. We got a top backfield. We got a top te. When you think about receivers, you don't think pro bowl or all pro or nothing. Boldin is a fukking beast. But he ain't about to burn anybody on a go route. Neither is crabs. And crabs ain't muscling nobody like Boldin is.

Y'all are right. Our offense ain't designed for the deep pass or lots of passing. That's the damn problem. When it's crunch time and we down 14 or we need to get points up in 3 minutes or we need a high fade in the red zone..... It don't happen

And again. How many wr we go through? How much the coaches and gm getting paid? They obviously see it too. Or they'd have the same attitude like we got these 3. We good enough. You wouldn't bring in moss and Boldin and manning ham and draft another 2 and trade for another if you thought you had it all locked up

Now that's not all I'd fix. That's not a crucial issue obviously as our record shows. But we were talking about what the main focus of the offseason moves should be. I said wr first, then cbs

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Looking at it again... maybe Kaep is able to side step that or step up into the pocket and make a play... AD had a poor game.

dssqde.gif

The one play where I wish Kaep took off early. :damn:
Had the whole left side open. Soon as dude rushed I screamed at the tv "take off now no don't throw it fukk you Kaep why you throw that shyt to fukking Crabtree" all at once. Heartbreaker end zone passes to him two years in a row

That being said I do have faith in him. We forget he's played a season and a half. Super Bowl and NFC championship. Hasn't even had two seasons of starts yet. Soon as he learns some touch and when to say fukk it and run for 5-50 yards, we'll be good

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Where do u get the coaches film?
gamepass.theres huge thread about it on here (throw directtv in the bushes or something). they put out condensed games (just plays, no commercials) as well as coaches film like 3 days after the game

calh45

Cal
Daps
So I was just thinking about that final play, and how similar it was to the one that ended the Super Bowl.

Have we ever had any success on Kaepernick throwing fade passes? As I recall we really don't. Only one I can ever remember Crabs making was on Arizona in 2012 with Alex as the QB.

So many better options than to choose to throw that pass, saw them play it back again today on NFL network, Sherman had him blanketed the whole time.

Just a terrible fukking decision on a player that is rarely ever effective for us

He locks on to Crabs in those situations. They had a montage on it earlier this year. I think Collinsworth broke down how Kaep sees the field. He has moments where he can read defenses and he has moments like in this case and the superbowl where he locks onto a player and doesn't let go regardless of coverage.

Harbs put the kid in a bad position both times. You have a freak athlete at QB that already ran for 100+, known to lock on WRs, and you have him dropping back? He should've had him rolling and attacking the zone with a run threat to open it routes.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Our defense was still top when singletary was coaching.
simply not true
defense was our best area. but nowhere a top defense. we had haralson and manny as our olbs. we had no pass rush. we had shytty secondary, much shyttier than the mediocre one we had now.
we had taylor mays, spencer, :flabbynsick: michael lewis, mark fukking roman :gag:, :flabbynsick: nate clements and so on.

we had a top 15 defense with mike. we had a top 5 D last 3 years
defense is single-handedly what propelled us to our record in 2011, and still is the major part of why we win games. aldon, bowman rogers cully whitner, and fangio came in and made this D what it is today

calh45

Cal
Daps
As far as our team goes the offense needs a deep threat. You can't have our running game and have the only deep threat being our TE. I guess you could say Manningham was our deep threat, but they had him running curls like the rest of the WR core. It's too bad Sammy Watkins will be gone by the time our pick comes around.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
He locks on to Crabs in those situations. They had a montage on it earlier this year. I think Collinsworth broke down how Kaep sees the field. He has moments where he can read defenses and he has moments like in this case and the superbowl where he locks onto a player and doesn't let go regardless of coverage.

Harbs put the kid in a bad position both times. You have a freak athlete at QB that already ran for 100+, known to lock on WRs, and you have him dropping back? He should've had him rolling and attacking the zone with a run threat to open it routes.
this is a problem with developing Kaep as a pocket passer tho. we are contenders every year, and lots of times when you need to win, its best to let him do what he does best (which is not pass in most cases but run). this is the same problem that persists in HS and college with coaches who dont groom black qbs because their athleticism allows them to win games now, but not prepare them for the NFL