A man can be destroyed, but he can't be defeated: The 49ers 2014 official offseason thread

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are people seriously upset that Kap didn't take photos with fans at a movie theater? :why: I mean dude was spending time with his family damn can we let this dude live? I don't see how this is even a "controversy".

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Are people seriously upset that Kap didn't take photos with fans at a movie theater? :why: I mean dude was spending time with his family damn can we let this dude live? I don't see how this is even a "controversy".
wait theres a new 'controversy' ? :why: draft cant come any sooner

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Bruh. Folk don't like Kaep for whatever reason and are looking for anything to discredit him. I can't stand sports fans that think they own you. I'd never put my child in a position to even look up to athletes let alone beg for an autograph.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE

wait theres a new 'controversy' ? :why: draft cant come any sooner

Bruh. Folk don't like Kaep for whatever reason and are looking for anything to discredit him. I can't stand sports fans that think they own you. I'd never put my child in a position to even look up to athletes let alone beg for an autograph.

Clearing the air on the Colin Kaepernick movie theater photo nonsense from Friday - Niners Nation

Colin Kaepernick has emerged into the national spotlight over the last year and a half, and as such, he has had to deal with a range of distractions that come with becoming a celebrity. We've talked plenty about the Miami situation, but on Friday, he had to deal with a disgruntled fan lashing out on Facebook.

CSN Bay Area's Mindi Bach has the full details at her Facebook page, but as would be expected, there is one story that has started to spread that is not actually the full reality of the situation. The basic gist was that on Friday, Colin Kaepernick was at the movies up the road from Turlock with his mom, sister-in-law and a friend. After the movie, two kids belonging to a man in the theater went up to Kap to ask for a picture. The man claimed on his Facebook page the kids went up and Kap "flat out said no." The man then said another kid approached Kap outside the theater, and Kap said no again.

I bring this up because this status has gotten over 9,300 shares (as of Saturday evening), and the comments have included too many fans expressing outrage at this. Facebook comments in general can be a bit sketchy, but if you go into the comments of the picture Mindi Bach shared, there is some serious vitriol.

When I first heard about this, I figured it was just an annoyed fan. But when I saw how much it was being shared (9,300 is a whole ton of Facebook shares), I felt like I needed to figure out what was going on. Kap has gone through the grinder to some extent this offseason, and although this does not appear to have become some kind of national story quite yet, it's the kind of fodder that certain fans will use as proof of something they've concocted in their minds.

I had a chance to get some details on what went down, and it is not surprising that the Facebook status may not have reflected the full details. Kap had spent the previous couple days in Turlock doing sponsor stuff, the charity prayer breakfast, and a host of other obligations. He had the prayer breakfast that Friday, and had to be up at 4 a.m. for the event.

Once that was wrapped up, he wanted to spend some time with his family. They ended up deciding to catch a movie, and they chose a Friday matinee in hopes that the theater would be pretty quiet and most kids would be in school. They got to the theater, and the management indicated they would keep it all on the down low so the family could enjoy the movie.

When they got into the theater, the person in the Facebook post was in with his kids, and they quickly noticed that Kap was there with his family. They watched the movie, and when the movie wrapped up one of the kids approached Kap for a picture in the dark theater. Colin apologized and said he and his family were in a hurry and needed to leave. But as I understand it, it was not a curt no. I have to think that had he been rude to the kids, Momma Kap would have slapped him upside the head.

After that, Kap and his family were going to leave the theater, and suddenly a crowd had begun to form in the lobby. It's possible the guy in the theater tipped off others and a group showed up. At this point, theater management offered to help Kap and his family get out the back door. When they got out the back door and began hurrying to their car, a woman in a Kap jersey ran toward them. She had a child with her and hollered at Kap for a picture. He again apologized and said no, but did say hi to and wave at the kid. The Kaepernick's got in the car and left, and as they were leaving, the woman cussed at them in front of her kid.

This really should be an absolute non-story, but one person got pissy on Facebook, and suddenly Kap is getting his name dragged through the mud. People are calling him selfish and generally behaving incredibly poorly. People ignore the good he has done, and assume the worst about a man who does take plenty of pictures, and generally does a good job with kids. We know the good that has been presented, but all indications are that he has done so much more that does not get publicized. It's easy to toot your own horn and promote how great you are, but there is something to be said for doing the right thing, and then just moving on.

The reality of the situation is it appears the fan overreacted in this situation. But even if the fan's status had been 100 percent correct, I think there is still a lesson to be learned when it comes to celebrity interactions. Kap is one of the faces of the 49ers franchise, and as such, people are going to approach him. That's just a reality of the fish bowl he now lives in. At the same time, it is disappointing when fans feel a sense of entitlement about getting something from the athlete. I get that fans want to try and get a picture or autograph when they see someone they've watched on television, but when a celebrity is out with family, if they say no for whatever reason, that should be the end of the story.

There might be some disappointment, but this does not suddenly make them a bad person. When it comes to family time, just because we bought a ticket to their game or own their jersey does not entitle us as fans to get what we want in the form of a picture or autograph. I think Kap gets that when he's out on his own, these things are par for the course. But when it comes to family time, my understanding is he is a little more protective. And that is to take nothing from the fact that Kap has done a lot of good, taken plenty of pictures and generally been an upstanding citizen. But hey, that doesn't get people riled up!

Here's the Facebook Post that started the "Controversy"
a3abede2.jpg

Last edited:

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thoughts on Kiper, McShay 3-round mock
May, 2, 2014
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

ESPN draft experts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay executed a live draft Thursday night. The two analysts rotated picks. The rules of the mock were that they picked the players they would take in each spot, not necessarily the player they think the teams will take. As part of an Insider piece, the two experts also mocked the second and third rounds.Insider

Let’s take a look at their choices for the 49ers:

1. 30. Kiper's pick: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

2. 56. Kiper's pick: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

2. 61. McShay's pick: Daquan Jones, DT, Penn State

3. 77. McShay's pick: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

3. 94. Kiper's pick: John Brown, WR, Pittsburgh State

3.100. Kiper's pick: Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

My thoughts: This is not a bad draft. Kiper and McShay pegged some nice players for the 49ers. The Barr pick is interesting. The NFL Nation reporters are going to have a mock draft next Tuesday. I have Barr on my list, but I will be looking at cornerback and receiver first. In this draft, Florida State receiver Kelvin Benjamin was still on the board when the 49ers were up. I’d probably take him over Barr. I like the Desir and Roberson picks at cornerback. I also like the Richardson and Brown picks. I’m not sure how many of these players are ready to help (the 49ers need immediate help at cornerback), but there is good projected talent here.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Matt Barrows mock draft

1st; 30th overall: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana
He's big, fast, tough and is an excellent leaper. Latimer could serve as the heir to either Michael Crabtree's or Anquan Boldin's starting role. Like A.J. Jenkins, he's an underclassman receiver from a Big 10 school (that starts with 'I'). Unlike Jenkins, Latimer's physique is NFL-ready, and at the bare-bones minimum he could serve as special teams coverage player during his rookie season.

2nd, 56th overall: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood
Desir is tall, long-limbed and physical, and he could be the press cornerback Trent Baalke has been looking for in recent years. If Desir is unavailable, there are a slew of others will similar physical skills - Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Keith McGill, Bashaud Breeland to name a few - who likely will be around in the second round.

2nd, 61st overall: Marcus Smith, OLB, Louisville
Smith may not be as powerful as the two players, Aldon Smith and Corey Lemonier, Baalke has drafted at the position in the past. But he is very athletic and still is learning his position. Smith was brought to Louisville to play quarterback, which hints at his intelligence and leadership ability.

3rd, 77th overall: Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
The 49ers could stand to add a short-yardage runner, and the 235-pound Hill fits the description. The 49ers had issues last season when fullback Bruce Miller was lost to injury. Hill has the size and attitude to be a lead blocker, and he has soft hands (18 catches for 181 yards in 2013) as well. He has character concerns that must be checked out.

3rd, 94th overall: Bruce Ellington, South Carolina
The 49ers seemingly would have no use for another receiver this year and someone like Ellington might have a hard time seeing the field. But this is The Year of the Receiver when it comes to the draft, and a wise team - especially one that has zero receivers signed long term - would be wise to stock up during times of abundance. Ellington is yet another basketball star turned receiver in this draft, and like Latimer, he has NFC West-caliber toughness. He also ran a 4.45 40-yard dash and was one of the top testers when it came to short-area speed. That is, he could be an excellent slot receiver.

3rd, 100th overall: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
Baalke has drafted talented, but injured, players the last two seasons, and Colvin seems ripe for the plucking with the final pick in the third round. He suffered an ACL tear in January and rehabilitated alongside NaVorro Bowman in Florida. Like Bowman, he likely would be unavailable for the first half of the season. Still, the 49ers could be getting a first- or second-round talent at a bargain draft price.

4th , 129th overall:Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
There's been no link between the 49ers and Boyd, and the team may be more interested in San Jose State's David Fales or in Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas, both of whom Jim Harbaugh has watched in person. The fourth round, however, seems like the spot to take a developmental quarterback. Boyd, meanwhile, has a lot of the same attributes as Colin Kaepernick - he was a respected leader in college, he has a strong arm, he can run and he often operated out of the pistol formation.

5th, 170th overall: Antone Exum, CB-S, Virginia Tech
Exum tore his ACL in January 2013, then after returning midway through the season, he suffered a bad ankle injury. That is, his final season was nearly a washout, and his draft stock likely will sink because of that. Still, he's a big-bodied defensive back - 213 pounds - who has played multiple positions. The 49ers could eye him as either a cornerback or safety. Or perhaps they'll split the difference and give him a look at slot cornerback.

7th, 242nd overall: Albert Wilson, WR, Georgia State
The 49ers could use a return man, especially if LaMichael James is not on the roster in September. Wilson handled both punt and kick returns and ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at the combine. At 5-9, he's small for the position. But at 202 pounds, he has some heft.

7th, 243rd overall: Nic Jacobs, TE, McNeese State
Jacobs needs to learn technique and he must get stronger. But his 6-5, 270-pound frame - as well as his 34 1/8-inch arms - are hard to ignore. Jacobs began his college career at LSU before transferring prior to the 2013 season. He could be too raw to get on the field this year but may be a project worth exploring for new tight ends coach Eric Mangini.

7th, 245th overall: Vinnie Sunsieri, S, Alabama
This is typically the spot at which Baalke takes a flier on an overlooked cornerback. That certainly could be the team's inclination at the tail end of the draft. Sunsieri, however, is another value pick in that he, too, is coming off an ACL injury. He may be too stiff or slow to be a starting safety candidate, but he'd be a boon for a special teams coverage unit. That's something the 49ers must consider as C.J. Spillman, Bubba Ventrone, Kassim Osgood and Dan Skuta all are entering the final year of their respective contracts.

- Matt Barrows

49ers Blog and Q&A: Crystal ball: seven-round stab at 49ers' draft

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
1. 30. Kiper's pick: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

2. 56. Kiper's pick: Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood

2. 61. McShay's pick: Daquan Jones, DT, Penn State

3. 77. McShay's pick: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado

3. 94. Kiper's pick: John Brown, WR, Pittsburgh State

3.100. Kiper's pick: Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida

I hate this mock draft, even though it clearly a kiper/mcshay hodgepodge
the only player I like is marcus roberson at end of 3rd

taking barr there makes no sense, and taking a dt with a 2nd round pick makes even less sense

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
Marcus Lattimore concedes he's "not all the way back, physically or mentally" from his catastrophic college knee injuries.
Lattimore's college career-ending injury involved ACL, PCL, and LCL tears in his right knee. Lattimore concedes he "still lacks the first-step burst" and "explosiveness through the hole" that he possessed as a freshman. Even before the 2012 triple-knee-ligament tear, Lattimore tore his left ACL as a sophomore. Lattimore is an easy guy to root for, but remains a long shot to rediscover past dynamic form. We'll monitor him closely throughout training camp, of course. May 5 - 9:14 PM
Source: San Jose Mercury News

a running back will be drafted

gore is :flabbynsick:

hunter is too small

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
whats with sudden desir love btw ? dudes stock shot up like crazy recently

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
doubt it tbh. hunter isnt small...hes the same size as gore. we have far worse problems than RBs. Gore, Hunter, Lattimore, LMJ...we set at RB breh
Hunter is 5'7 and not even 200 pounds :camby:

Gore is :flabbynsick:

Lattimore ain't ready

LMJ :lolJ:

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Hunter is 5'7 and not even 200 pounds :camby:

Gore is :flabbynsick:

Lattimore ain't ready

LMJ :lolJ:
dog we aint drafting another RB to take up roster space. maybe at end of draft to combat for PS space. maybe in 5th round or something if we manage to dump LMJ

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
dog we aint drafting another RB to take up roster space. maybe at end of draft to combat for PS space. maybe in 5th round or something if we manage to dump LMJ
I guess we will see

:sas1: