A group of 19 Black families reportedly purchased almost 97 acres of land in Toomsboro, Georgia.

Mandizi

5-I-3 till I D-I-E
Daps
Reppin
Cincy
That's good news. Wish those sistas and the 19 families success in developing that city.

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
19 families buy nearly 97 acres of land in Georgia to create a city safe for Black people

"Welcome to Freedom!" exclaims real estate agent Ashley Scott as she surveys the nearly 97 acres of land that she and a group of 19 Black families purchased in August.

"I'm hoping that it will be a thriving safe haven for people of color, for Black families in particular," Scott says.

The land sits just East of Macon in rural Wilkinson County, Georgia. Scott and her friend, investor and entrepreneur Renee Walters, didn't initially plan on buying a large plot of land, but they had a vision that was clear -- to create a safe space for their Black families.

"Being able to create a community that is thriving, that is safe, that has agriculture and commercial businesses that are supporting one another and that dollars circulating in our community, that is our vision."