A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Anything leading you to this feeling?
He's part of the Miami Heat organization/Pat Riley lineage, had a near 20 year playing career and was a pretty good player, looks like a guy the players would feel comfortable with and respect. I read Juwan is in top shape for a 45 year old, one of the mantras of the Heat organization is peak physical condition for their players and that would be a great thing to bring here.

Last edited:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
People are really using that Blatt experience with LeBron as something to hold against him? He has shown to be a great basketball mind.

Listen, the guy was brought to Cleveland for a specific job before LeBron decided it was time to go back home. To have your job description flip like that immediately is incredibly difficult.

LeBron has proven to have a temper tantrum over anything. Cavs ownership/management just doesn't have that clout that Pat Riley does to tell his ass to calm the fukk down.

REMEMBER, Blatt had LeBron and spare parts UP 2-1 in the finals against the Warriors. He was out-coaching Steve Kerr until talent inevitably won out. LeBron actually shot like shyt in that finals as well.

This Cavs team would be MUCH better with Blatt over Lue. No doubt in mind that he would have been able to manage LeBron's minutes a lot better. Put the role players in a better position to contribute.

I would like to see him get another chance in the league and if that's the knicks I am supporting the hire. fukk that...most optimistic I would be over a Head Coach hiring on the Knicks since Van Gundy. I knew D'Antoni was not going to work with what he had when he got here.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
People are really using that Blatt experience with LeBron as something to hold against him? He has shown to be a great basketball mind.

Listen, the guy was brought to Cleveland for a specific job before LeBron decided it was time to go back home. To have your job description flip like that immediately is incredibly difficult.

LeBron has proven to have a temper tantrum over anything. Cavs ownership/management just doesn't have that clout that Pat Riley does to tell his ass to calm the fukk down.

REMEMBER, Blatt had LeBron and spare parts UP 2-1 in the finals against the Warriors. He was out-coaching Steve Kerr until talent inevitably won out. LeBron actually shot like shyt in that finals as well.

This Cavs team would be MUCH better with Blatt over Lue. No doubt in mind that he would have been able to manage LeBron's minutes a lot better. Put the role players in a better position to contribute.

I would like to see him get another chance in the league and if that's the knicks I am supporting the hire. fukk that...most optimistic I would be over a Head Coach hiring on the Knicks since Van Gundy. I knew D'Antoni was not going to work with what he had when he got here.
Blatt's issues weren't only with LeBron it was the whole team. Listen, I think the man is a good coach he has a decorated coaching career but I don't know if he's a fit for the NBA. He appears stoic and like the type of coach the players will bump heads with like Hornacek.

Blatt went big against Golden State which was a good adjustment he made. They controlled the boards and slowed the tempo, Delly played some of the best defense on Steph in those first few games to the point of dehydration, LeBron was running that show he put up god level numbers and with Kyrie and Love out took on a ridiculous workload, that's why his efficiency was poor no player would shoot efficiently given the circumstances. I agree the Cavs would be better with Blatt over Lue. Blatt is a better coach than Lue, but Lue is a better communicator and locker room presence. For a Knicks hire we need a strong personality and a coach who can instill culture and trust. I can easily see KP hating Blatt.

Blatt runs a Princeton offense I believe.

Last edited:

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
he is an off guard. he struggled shooting when he was forced to be the primary handler. when Mudiay got there, his shooting % went up. he can be in the mold of Jrue. Harden is a solid PG but he is better also with a more traditional PG beside him. just because you have good vision doesnt make you a great PG. its how you are able to control the game.
:mindblown:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Blatt's issues weren't only with LeBron it was the whole team. Listen, I think the man is a good coach he has a decorated coaching career but I don't know if he's a fit for the NBA. He appears stoic and like the type of coach the players will bump heads with like Hornacek.

Blatt went big against Golden State which was a good adjustment he made. They controlled the boards and slowed the tempo, Delly played some of the best defense on Steph in those first few games to the point of dehydration, LeBron was running that show he put up god level numbers and with Kyrie and Love out took on a ridiculous workload, that's why his efficiency was poor no player would shoot efficiently given the circumstances. I agree the Cavs would be better with Blatt over Lue. Blatt is a better coach than Lue, but Lue is a better communicator and locker room presence. For a Knicks hire we need a strong personality and a coach who can instill culture and trust. I can easily see KP hating Blatt.

He never had a chance with that lockerroom though. It's not just Lebron being unhappy from jump, management killed any influence too by forcing Blatt to bring on Lue as second in command to appease Lebron. From jump the team basically had co-coaches and Bron's choice was clear before anyone took the floor. Blatt had Lebron actively refusing to run his offense, management made it clear they were going to side with Lebron (it's the right decision mind you but needs to be noted) and the second and third best players on that team got hurt during the playoffs. Management took away Blatt's voice from the jump, but looking more deeply into his career you can see that dude is noted for player accountability and development throughout his career. That wouldn't just vanish because he's dealing with American players (he's from Boston). The communication stuff is seriously overstated is all I'm saying.

- The other benefits though...Blatt might not get his due here, but overseas he is one of the most decorated coaches ever. That might not matter to every player but KP and Frank grew up in that environment and a few years wouldn't take away their understanding that Blatt should be respected, and he'll have insights about euro-player mentalities as well.
- Young players in general respond better to a Blatt type than old dogs which is probably why he was originally picked (pre-Bron return).
- The whole "Blatt is friends with Perry and Mills" thing isn't all negative either. Bud is a top coach in the league but beef with management meant he walked. Management left Hornacek alone, so I don't see why anyone would expect them to interfere with their boy's approach when they even gave leeway to a guy they didn't bring in. Getting cohesion from top to bottom should be a goal and while this ain't my preferred way to get there; we're lucky enough that Blatt is the buddy instead of a Mark Jackson politics guy.

I still prefer Bud or Stackhouse. But Blatt and Fiz are on the same level to me, they got results but got dropped over beef with a star. Both guys are quality coaches though and deserve second shots in situations where they can instill their values without a star player challenging them out of the gate.

Blatt runs a Princeton offense I believe.

Yeah, I'd expect some variation of a motion offense.