A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Melo was sacrificed by the basketball gods tonight, brehs.

I felt sick to my stomach, but Melo's soul was Shang tsung'd.:mjcry:

I didn't want it to happen but...

64MK55.gif

May the gods bless our path by way of this mellow sacrifice.

:to:

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti

64MK55.gif

Im happy he got a chance to play for a contending team and was in the playoffs :yeshrug:

As bad he looked in that Utah-OKC series, just imagine how bad he'd look with the Knicks this past season, especially with Jeff's vet first approach as coach. Itd be a shytshow.

Phil was dead wrong in how he went abt tryin to move Melo, but the idea to move him was spot on

Glad we were spared the worst part of his decline, glad that he didnt have to deal with the scrutiny he would've gotten in NY being so washed making big money :francis:

Hopefully he can accept that D-Wade role off the bench next season & have a respectable twilight of his career. B/c one thing is glaringly clear, hes not a starter anymore in this league :francis::to:

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team

Oh they ramping up the recruitment efforts with him plenty

‘He’s won everywhere’: Knicks coaching candidate has plenty of backers

He’s won everywhere’: Knicks coaching candidate has plenty of backers
By Marc Berman
By Marc Berman

April 28, 2018 | 3:59am

blatt.jpg

David Blatt AP

The one area Knicks brass failed to mention during their recent press conference on what they will seek in a new coach was …

“A winner.”

That just happens to be David Blatt’s top attribute. It is a strength Knicks president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry may want to ponder as they reduce the field of nine candidates — with one interview left, Spurs assistant James Borrego, over the weekend.

As The Post reported, Mills and Perry interviewed Blatt on Thursday in Europe, where he is coaching Darussafaka Istanbul, which just won the prestigious EuroCup tournament.

“He’s a winner and a teacher of solid basketball — be it NBA, Euroleague, Israeli league or the Russian national team in the Olympics,’’ said former Knicks European scout Tim Shea, an NBA consultant on overseas players. “KP [Kristaps Porzingis] and Frank Nitti [Ntilikina] need him as he is the most qualified to finally make international players that arrive in New York comfortable and productive. He’d be a godsend.”

It’s no big secret Porzingis didn’t gravitate toward recently fired Jeff Hornacek’s — or Kurt Rambis’ — coaching. Hornacek and Rambis were fired at Westchester County Airport after the Knicks returned from their season-finale win at Cleveland on April 11.

Cleveland is where Blatt spent 1 ½ seasons, compiling a 83-40 record (67.5 winning percentage) and advancing to the 2015 Finals in his lone full season.

Along the way, Blatt’s injury-riddled Cavaliers, playing without Kevin Love and a hobbled Kyrie Irving, swept Mike Budenholzer’s Hawks in four games.

In the Finals against Golden State, the Cavaliers couldn’t overcome not having both Love and Irving, who went down for good with a broken kneecap late in Game 1.

Blatt is viewed as either supremely successful or a complete disaster, depending upon the tint of your glasses.

The book about LeBron James, “Return of The King,’’ performed a hatchet job on Blatt as being an arrogant/out-of-touch coach “afraid” of the superstar’s shadow. It depicted an unsupportive James as preferring to consult with Tyronn Lue.

When rumors surfaced Blatt was on the hot seat during his rookie season, James was asked for an endorsement.

“Yeah, he’s our coach,’’ James said, according to the book. “I mean what other coach do we have? Listen man, I don’t pay no bills around here.’’

In contrast, Irving said, “I would do anything for Coach Blatt.’’

“I think all that situation is on LeBron, not David,’’ said an NBA executive familiar with Cavaliers’ soap opera. “Cleveland signed David before LeBron came and LeBron probably wanted to be consulted first. By now, we know who LeBron really is and what he does.’’

Blatt was set to take an assistant position with the Warriors under Steve Kerr before the Cavs’ opening popped up in 2014 — with James not in the picture.

Because of his desire to return to the NBA, Blatt maintained a U.S. agent with Priority Sports’ Rick Smith and may interview with other teams, including Orlando and Atlanta.

David Blatt and LeBron James in 2016AP
In his second season in Cleveland, Blatt was fired at 30-11. Lue took over, won the 2016 NBA Finals in rallying from a 1-3 hole against Golden State. Lue’s regular-season record with Cleveland is now 128-77 — a 62.4 winning percentage and worse than Blatt’s.

Mills and Perry have prioritized connectivity with players as No. 1 on their list, but winning is what Blatt knows. He’s only the second coach to capture the Euroleague, EuroCup, and Eurobasket and he guided Russia to a surprise 2012 Olympic bronze medal.

“He’s won everywhere he is, won everywhere in Europe,’’ an NBA source close to Blatt said. “This year was supposed to be rebuilding year in Istanbul and he wins the EuroCup. His résumé is impeccable.”

The Istanbul GM Mithat Demirel gushed to The Athletic recently, saying, “Everything what I always wanted from a coach, we got from him. He has great knowledge, great personality, great leadership.”

Shea said he believes Blatt needs a second chance.

“I know of no players, clubs or directors that have nothing but praise for David,’’ Shea said. “Nobody underestimates his communication skills, his strategic capacities or enthusiasm. His record speaks for itself and it speaks very loudly.’’

Blatt played four seasons at Princeton with Mills, and three years alongside Knicks executive Craig Robinson.

In an interview with The Post before Blatt’s first playoff run with the Cavs, Mills said, “I think he’s mischaracterized because people think of him as a European coach. I think of him as a kid who grew up outside of Boston who wanted to be involved in basketball. He’s just had a different set of experiences.”

Whether Blatt convinced Perry his rapport with James is an aberration remains to be seen.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fact that they flew all the way to europe to interview blatt, and the fact that he is life Long friends with 2 prominent figures in our organization scares the shyt out of me

Hes always been the favourite because of favortism. Mills wanted to hire him instead of horn. Who we pick as a coach will determine if we have really changed our ways or if we still on our same polítical bullshyt

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
The fact that they flew all the way to europe to interview blatt, and the fact that he is life Long friends with 2 prominent figures in our organization scares the shyt out of me

Hes always been the favourite because of favortism. Mills wanted to hire him instead of horn. Who we pick as a coach will determine if we have really changed our ways or if we still on our same polítical bullshyt
If it was just between Blatt, Jackson and Fizdale I wouldn't even be that mad. But now after they interviewed every single living human being if they go with Blatt I'll be extra heated.

giphy.gif

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
coaching isnt the Knicks main problem. FO needs to make some better moves. first mistake was taking Ntilikina over DSj I was perplexed by that. Frank may be a good player but he isnt a true PG. I thought they shouldve dealt KP for Booker. I know it still may seem crazy but the backcourt couldve been set with DSj and Book and I never trusted KP's durability. Gave THjr too much money. Wasnt necessary to be that thirsty. :dahell: did they want Mudiay for? he cant shoot and has poor decision making.

If Sexton is there thats the guy to go for to pair with Frank then take a chance on a wing in the 2nd round. or flip it and take a SF in the 1st and go for a PG in the 2nd, there will be plenty quality PG's in the 2nd round. or make some pick trades. there could be some good players in the 2nd round. Diallo is a guy I would definitely have my eye on.

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
Budd or Fizdale is right there and they go for Blatt:snoop:

shyt is bugged out man. Blatt is just Hornacek with slightly better X's&O's.

He gunna fold under the pressure the first time KP call him a fakkit :picard::bryan:

Interview 50-11 somethin candidates just to end up hiring your homeboy brehs :skip::mjpls:

If Blatt is hired its just business as usual, same ol' Knicks, smh :francis::snoop:

Miles Davis

Prince of Darkness
Daps
Reppin
Bebop

64MK55.gif

Melo died so we could live, that’s my small forward:to:

I better not see Blatt get this job.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Melo died so we could live, that’s my small forward:to:

I better not see Blatt get this job.
Breh, what makes a breh mellow?