A Blown Knee & Flat Tires-Another NY Pothole Year: 17-18 Knicks Season Thread

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
“He’d be good there,” said one Western Conference scout. “I’m just looking at the [reported] list of the people they’ve talked to, he would have to be at the top of it.”

“He is a good basketball coach. He’s a good guy. One of [Spurs coach Gregg Popovich’s] guys. A little flaky. Pop’s guys usually are,” said one rival executive. “He got this group this year to play hard and they competed all year long. He is a high-level coach.”

One Eastern Conference scout is surprised the Hawks, who owe Budenholzer $13 million for the final two years of his contract, would be willing to let him go.

“I love him as a coach, absolutely,” the scout said. “He is one of the few who has been able to replicate the San Antonio culture in ways of playing. He’s very good.”

In 2014-15, when the Hawks finished 60-22, they sent four players, Paul Millsap, Jeff Teague, Al Horford and Kyle Korver, to the All-Star Game.

“Bud has this way about him,” Korver said as a Hawk about Budenholzer, who was a Spurs assistant from 1996 to 2013. “We really respect both how he teaches the game and the system but also who he is, his willingness to look you in the eye. Bud does a great job and they brought in pieces that fit. They didn’t just bring in random pieces for his system.”

That is key. Unlike past Knicks regimes, Budenholzer crafts systems around players, instead of trying to cram players into a system.

“He is regarded as a very good coach. He put in a totally new program in Atlanta very similar to San Antonio, but not exactly because he never had the playmakers off the dribble that San Antonio did. His is a lot more passing and moving and cutting,” a Western executive said. “He took guys and put them in position to have their best years.”

“He would put Porzingis in the best role possible to have success. He would know how to use him. A lot of these guys figure, ‘We’ll just get Porzingis the ball and let him do what he wants,’ ” the exec said. “He would put a system in where maybe Porzingis is a screener and the defense has to help [so] then he can pop to get shots or be like a high-post guy, pass the ball and then get a screen. He used Horford that way.”

Budenholzer seems to check a lot of the boxes. He’s big on defense which Mills and Perry demand. He is very big on development.

“Can he work with young players? Yes. He’s had a couple guys who have gotten better,” an Eastern scout said. “In terms of putting out a team that is going to play hard, be well-coached and prepared, it would be hard to bytch about his coaching.”

What’s the drawback? Control, possibly. Reports say Budenholzer became disenchanted with the Hawks over personnel matters.

“He had control in Atlanta then lost control. So that’s a question. Can he deal within a system where he’s not the final decision-maker?” the rival exec said.

“They probably never should have given him control to pick players and make those decisions. That’s not in his realm,” the Western exec said. “But he was in a perfect situation with new ownership. He had just done a fabulous job, it was a contract year so he could ask for what he wanted. But around the league, people think he is an excellent coach.”

https://nypost.com/2018/04/23/knicks-should-feel-lucky-mike-budenholzer-wants-their-job/

Bud (for cash not picks) or Stackhouse and I'm really happy. Fiz or Blatt and I'll be optimistic.

Ty-Fife

14k Gold Slum Computer Wizard
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Shiit if we manage to get coach Bud the rivalry with the Nets would turn up since Kenny Atkinson over there :mjgrin:

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
I remember arguing with some Knicks/Melo fans on here that ya'll were better off without Melo last season..Are ya'll watching him build a mansion with these bricks :bryan:

Yeah, they've been in denial about for YEARS now, but they'll still find a way to make more weak excuses for his garbage individual play.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I just want the search to be over already, I’m getting nervous:sadcam:
I was gonna ask last week, but felt it was still premature, but when should we start getting worried that we haven’t pick someone yet?
When other teams start signing away guys we like? Cause everyday i wake up hoping this is over.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I was gonna ask last week, but felt it was still premature, but when should we start getting worried that we haven’t pick someone yet?
When other teams start signing away guys we like? Cause everyday i wake up hoping this is over.

I'd agree with you on the "let's not panic until other teams start making offers" stance. I'd like for the Knicks to get out ahead of everybody but there are enough quality options available that I'm only gonna really worry if Mark Jackson's name picks up steam again. On a timeline where we weren't sweating competition to sign coaches, I'd just want a coach in place with time to prep for the draft combine.

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti
phil really gave this nikka 72 million over 4 years...post 30 years of age with numerous injuries

nikka has a blonde beard....and singing the praises of selassie i....... he has checked out on basketball :mjlol:

He's smoked himself stupid

He's in the Ricky Williams first stint with the Dolphins phase of his career

Knicks better not stretch him, they need to take their medicine and ride out that contract to the bitter end

ProlificLurker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC/Ayiti

I'd agree with you on the "let's not panic until other teams start making offers" stance. I'd like for the Knicks to get out ahead of everybody but there are enough quality options available that I'm only gonna really worry if Mark Jackson's name picks up steam again. On a timeline where we weren't sweating competition to sign coaches, I'd just want a coach in place with time to prep for the draft combine.

Honestly feel as though they'll hire someone at or around the time of the draft lottery next month (May 15th I believe)