Bronx, NYC

giphy.gif

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I was going to make a joke but honestly,

This is what an efficient FO does; they interview a wide range of candidates. I'm feeling good about this.

You're absolutely right, this is way more "normal" than Phil trying to find a disciple to run his system, or the years past where HC's were either a star coach, or signed to CAA.

Even if they knew who they thought they wanted for the position ...... It makes sense to see who is out there in case there is legit a better candidate for the job.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
My Coaching Power Rankings so far:
The Dream Picks: Coaches that we could probably reach out to and would almost guaranteed get rejected by but who are the cream of the crop...
1. Jay Wright - No need to say much here. He's got a system, defensive mindset, developmental personality and the chops to be a success here plus he'd probably be comfortable with the culture of our rabid fanbase.
2. Ettore Messina - He's Pop's second in command and liable replacement some day. If we're gunning for a Spurs pedigree coach, he's the clear top dog not named Pop.

The Realistic Options: These guys could possibly get the call and answer...
3. Jerry Stackhouse - The Raptors can't stop singing his praises. He won a g-league title, had a ton of roster turnover and built another g-league finals team all while developing the youth that became the bench in the NBA this season. That podcast @Wargames posted locked him up top for me; his philosophies just sound like a great fit for what we need as far as attitude, strategies and goals. Strong links to Perry bode well for management chemistry as well.

4. David Blatt - Outside of Burke, I could see the motion and ball movement oriented offense that he commands being massively advantageous for our youth and with Burke's catch and shoot numbers from three he might benefit as well (we didn't get to see it in Cleveland). His communication problems have only ever existed when Lebron shut him out and the Cavs defense has been falling further and further off since Blatt left. Dude wins everywhere he goes and deserves an actual fair shot to show what he can do and a young roster is much more likely to buy in to his approach. His friendship with Mills and Perry is a positive as it means communication ought to be strong which hasn't seemed to be the case since Phil Jackson and through to this latest firing.

5. Fizdale - He'd be 1b to Blatt's 1a in that everything you hear about him is great except for how he handled the Marc Gasol situation (apparently neither one would give an inch and it came to a head with his firing). Like Blatt, a younger team that is more likely to buy-in could be all he needs to make a leap.

Team Disappointed: Not that I'd completely hate the choice of direction but there are better coaches in my opinion...
6. JVG - I heard some good things about the team USA work, love his personality and wouldn't be mad at another shot. But I'd be worried about how his philosophies have aged or evolved into the three ball era. He's earned enough respect that I'd give him time to show us but I'd also be nervous. Does anyone know the Garden as well as JVG on this list?

7. Woodson - Great defensive coach who ran ISO-Melo into the ground on offense. His tenure ended on a nice run in garbage time that may have Mills considering giving him another shot but the theme of this section is I'd like to see a fresh face. On a good note, we used to get some insider info while he was around so maybe that info pipeline would open back up. Second to JVG on experience and knowledge of our fanbase and culture.

Untouchable: The Lance Thomas of my coaching picks
8. Mark Jackson - Such lacking offensive imagination that the Warriors with Curry, Klay, Green all in hand were a first round out with low team assist totals. Good defensive coach but that's about it. Like Lance's defense, he gets more credit for development than he deserves. Also, beefed with assistants and refused to hire the best because he considered them threats; built an us against them mentality between his lockerroom and management; wouldn't let anyone watch his practices; turned the team against Festus Ezeli and brought the kid to tears; dragged injured Steph Curry to church to bless his ankle; had a sex scandal off the court; and switched agents to court the Cavs job via Lebron instead of management which backfired when he didn't get hired and Bron refused to give the coach Cleveland chose instead a chance.

The Unknown:
u/a. Budeholzer - Has two years on his contract and I would suspect the Hawks demand serious compensation for a coach of this level. If we could get Bud, he's developed players young and old into better guys including THJ. Give him talent and you'll have a playoff team, he'd be near or at the top if I felt confident that the rebuilding Hawks will let him walk without demanding something major back.

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
@storyteller Good writeup, fam; I agree with just about everything you wrote, although I didn't really consider Messina as an option. I'm all for Fizdale or Stackhouse, and I kinda go back and forth on Blatt. I know Blatt kinda got a raw deal because the team he coached to the Finals was not the team that he signed up for, with Bron coming on board weeks after he got the job. I'm pretty sure the communication issues on the Cavs was probably a case of the other players following Bron's lead.

The more I hear and read, the more I kinda lean towards Stackhouse. Developing players is exactly what we need, and he's got the pedigree to hold their attention... And the video of him giving Hornacek the beats his rookie year in case anybody thinks they want those problems.... :birdman: