Bebop

tumblr_m2libe5nCG1rtnwmvo1_500.gif

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
I'm getting a weird feeling that we are considering a duel hiring of Jeff Van Gundy & Mark Jackson for Head & Assistant coach positions.

I am very afraid. I don't want to go through seeing brehs crucifying Gundy for antiquated schematics.

@storyteller tell me I shouldn't be worried about this coaching question mark.:lupe:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
KP can have all the apprehension in the world about the direction of the franchise, and rightfully so.

But given his yearly battle with nagging injuries that culminated with finally getting a major one this season, I don't see a scenario where the Knicks offer that max 5 years - $148m extension this off-season or next and he declines.

Normally I'd say call his bluff, but and after learning about the people around him, I'm starting to believe he could leave. His brother Janis may not be pushing him to sign an extension if he doesn't want to, or he may be actually advising him to leave if the Knicks still suck. Even if he's injury prone, he's gonna have people throwing a shytload of money at him after his rookie deal is done, just because he has top 10 potential. Its part of the reason why I think it's a bad idea to go into next season with the same roster, and the intention of losing as many games as possible. The Knicks gotta try to get another established star, or put themselves in a position to get one somehow, and if the Knicks are gonna do that through free agency in 2019, then they gotta make some strides next year to try and entice somebody to come.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Normally I'd say call his bluff, but and after learning about the people around him, I'm starting to believe he could leave. His brother Janis may not be pushing him to sign an extension if he doesn't want to, or he may be actually advising him to leave if the Knicks still suck. Even if he's injury prone, he's gonna have people throwing a shytload of money at him after his rookie deal is done, just because he has top 10 potential. Its part of the reason why I think it's a bad idea to go into next season with the same roster, and the intention of losing as many games as possible. The Knicks gotta try to get another established star, or put themselves in a position to get one somehow, and if the Knicks are gonna do that through free agency in 2019, then they gotta make some strides next year to try and entice somebody to come.

I agree with you fully!

Next year shouldn't be a Tank year, though I expect the Knicks to be a late lottery pick. Basically we got to do our own version of the Lakers but we know one star is locked in with KP, The Knicks got to use their youth to get the other star to buy in.

Also looking at the Spurs today, Kawhi legit might bounce if he wants to be on a competitive team. They are starting to look old like those later Big 3 Boston teams.

Miles Davis

Prince of Darkness
Daps
Reppin
Bebop
I agree with you fully!

Next year shouldn't be a Tank year, though I expect the Knicks to be a late lottery pick. Basically we got to do our own version of the Lakers but we know one star is locked in with KP, The Knicks got to use their youth to get the other star to buy in.

Also looking at the Spurs today, Kawhi legit might bounce if he wants to be on a competitive team. They are starting to look old like those later Big 3 Boston teams.
It shouldn’t be a tank year but it should be a youth focused year. We need to build the roster that’ll be the roster for the coming future. KP has to understand that this team won’t be competing for at least 2-5 years if he wants to commit.

nyknick

refuel w/ chocolate milk
Daps
This is the worst thing an NBA team can do.

Lakers don't own their 2018 pick so tanking didn't make sense for them. KP will be out half the season and team constructed as it is now won't be shyt unless major signings are made. And even if they bring in any major free agents our ceiling is 38 wins. Let me know which stars bought into Hornets/Pistons after this season.

I hope Kanter doesn't opt out because I see management giving out another Tim Hardaway Jr contract this offseason if they're given a chance.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
His brother/camp can do or say whatever they want, it's a non-story.

KP has one more year on his rookie deal and then he becomes a restricted free agent. That means he's not free to leave at his own will, the Knicks can match any offer that's made to him by another team. So unless he's planning on leaving 100s of millions on the table by taking his ball and going home to Latvia, he and the Knicks are tied at the hip for the foreseeable future.

The system in place simply doesn't allow premeir players to leave their original team after their rookie deals unless that team lets them walk. Giannis can talk about needing the Bucks to prove something to him because he signed an extension after his rookie deal and becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2021. KPs gotta do that first before he can make any viable threats to leave.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
His brother/camp can do or say whatever they want, it's a non-story.

KP has one more year on his rookie deal and then he becomes a restricted free agent. That means he's not free to leave at his own will, the Knicks can match any offer that's made to him by another team. So unless he's planning on leaving 100s of millions on the table by taking his ball and going home to Latvia, he and the Knicks are tied at the hip for the foreseeable future.

The system in place simply doesn't allow premeir players to leave their original team after their rookie deals unless that team lets them walk. Giannis can talk about needing the Bucks to prove something to him because he signed an extension after his rookie deal and becomes an unrestricted free agent in 2021. KPs gotta do that first before he can make any viable threats to leave.
I know all of this, but he can still take the qualifying offer, play out his last year and become an unrestricted free agent in 2020. Saying the system doesn't let player leave after their rookie contract expires isn't necessarily true, it just makes turning down an extension an extremely, extremely silly decision (financially speaking that is). It would be unprecedented, but KP and Janis keep going on record saying some variation of "winning matters more right now" or "the money will come later", it may not just be posturing at this point; Janis doesn't seem like the brightest guy to be frank and it seems he has a hell of a lot of influence over KP. If the Knicks plan on tanking next season, I think they gotta get some sort of verbal commitment from KP at least.

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Knicks have kp for at least 2 more seasons. You can still tank and go into his qualifying year(19-20) with a much better roster than if u just go all in this summer trying to half ass it.

2018 pick
2019 pick
19 Cap space to sign a max player

Then go into the season and hope he re-signs in 2020. That is much more attractive than blowing all of your cap on a Jabari or Aaron Gordon or randle this summer and then having the 12th pick next season. This injury, imo will only make him sign that huge extension even more. Tomorrow isn't promised. And this is all moot if he doesn't come back as good as he was before the injury. So I wouldn't worry yet.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
This is the worst thing an NBA team can do.

Lakers don't own their 2018 pick so tanking didn't make sense for them. KP will be out half the season and team constructed as it is now won't be shyt unless major signings are made. And even if they bring in any major free agents our ceiling is 38 wins. Let me know which stars bought into Hornets/Pistons after this season.

I hope Kanter doesn't opt out because I see management giving out another Tim Hardaway Jr contract this offseason if they're given a chance.

I think they aren't going to be a good team regardless, but they should go out there with the youth and have them play to win, now in preparation of them having to play to win in the future.

I think saying the Knicks can just keep tanking isn't taking into effect the fact that their going to be in one of the toughest divisions in the league with the Raptors, Celtics, and Philly. Sure we're going to lose next year by default cause the team will be young. However they better get use to playing hard cause they are going to need to compete sooner than later.

Also the Timmy hate is baseless, he had a career high in pts, assist, and rebounds, and just stopped playing defense likely cause the knicks whole concept of defense was feed people into the middle for KP to block cause Rambis sucked. Not to mention they had him playing a SF. IF the knicks used that Kanter money on another good RFA I wouldn't be mad. The knicks roster needs talent and its better than them making a trade.

Knicks have kp for at least 2 more seasons. You can still tank and go into his qualifying year(19-20) with a much better roster than if u just go all in this summer trying to half ass it.

2018 pick
2019 pick
19 Cap space to sign a max player

Then go into the season and hope he re-signs in 2020. That is much more attractive than blowing all of your cap on a Jabari or Aaron Gordon or randle this summer and then having the 12th pick next season. This injury, imo will only make him sign that huge extension even more. Tomorrow isn't promised. And this is all moot if he doesn't come back as good as he was before the injury. So I wouldn't worry yet.

The only issue with that is how do you convince the 2019 Max FA to come to NY? They got enough money to get a Randle/Gordon/Jabari in 2018 and still have Max money in 2019 for a UFA if KP takes the qualifier. You got to see next year as an audition for those 2019 Max FAs. The Knicks roster has to have more talent than where they are coming from, and they got to believe this team can hold its own with the Celtics, Philly, and the Raptors.

None of those RFA guys moved the needle for their team to the point they weren't bad (or in Jabari's a high seed), because they aren't superstar talent. All of those guys could be major contributors next to superstar talent. Add KP to that and the knicks might actually become a destination for a superstar.