A 2Pac and DMX rivalry would have been the wildest rap beef of all time.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Look at the verses,

I thank the Lord everyday that I'm blessed with the gift
I'm the best, so, unless you wanna rest with the stiff
Don't touch that, uh-uh, leave it alone
When you walk past the doghouse, leave it a bone (come on)
Dogs bite, dogs fight, dogs knife (what?)
Scratch, shake, and hold all night (what?)
So when you hear that arf, arf, start running (come on)
'Cause when you hear that arf arf, I'm coming (come on)
But I don't like drama, so I stay to myself (uh-huh)
Keep focused with this rap shyt and pray for the wealth
I want the money and give me the honeys with big asses (yes)
The most expensive champagne you got in big glasses (yes)
I'm drunk, so I'ma bash his head wide open (uh)
Begging me to stop but at least he died hopin' (uh, uh)
Didn't get his wish, now he's a dish for the pack (Come on)
Two glowing red eyes, everything else is black

Dmx is not better lyrically than Pac, he is just as basic, he relies on other elements to elevate his greatness.

I never once listened to DMX and thought he was a better rapper or lyricist than Pac. And I was a big DMX fan when he came out. Bought his first two albums,the 3rd was a dud irrc:francis:

Fact is 2pac had a way better delivery,far better flow,and was a better wordsmith. Might not have been the most technical lyricist,but he put his words together to be impactful and hard hitting. Dmx was the same,but he didnt do that nearly as well as Pac. Which is why he is the base model Pac.

@Still Benefited @Budda @FreshAIG

The fact that X played with his voice to match the beat switch on stop being greedy while also playing into his multiple personality disorder is genius.

He switched subject matter every four bars from just a regular hood nikka tryna get by and make something of himself to a ruthless low life that's ready to fukk shyt up. When you actually analyze the song he wasn't just yelling and barking

Idk if pac let alone any rapper could do something so masterful.
:unimpressed:

Song isnt clever or masterful at all considering the types of storytelling weve heard from other rappers. And its just not that great of a song imo. I wont hold that against him because thats not his specialty. His specialty is making the kinds of songs Pac made. Songs about spirituality,being haunted,showed empathy. And Pac simply did those types of songs on a far greater level.

2pac could make the same types of songs Drake could make:mjlol:

Then turn around and do a storytelling song like Brendas got a baby,a song like Dear Mama,A song like Blasphemy,a song like Against All Odds,a song like Picture me Rollin. But yall sitting here telling me DMX is more versatile:gucci:

Even DMXs flow isnt as varied and versatile as Pacs.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
I never once listened to DMX and thought he was a better rapper or lyricist than Pac. And I was a big DMX fan when he came out. Bought his first two albums,the 3rd was a dud irrc:francis:

Fact is 2pac had a way better delivery,far better flow,and was a better wordsmith. Might not have been the most technical lyricist,but he put his words together to be impactful and hard hitting. Dmx was the same,but he didnt do that nearly as well as Pac. Which is why he is the base model Pac.

:unimpressed:

Song isnt clever or masterful at all considering the types of storytelling weve heard from other rappers. And its just not that great of a song imo. I wont hold that against him because thats not his specialty. His specialty is making the kinds of songs Pac made. Songs about spirituality,being haunted,showed empathy. And Pac simply did those types of songs on a far greater level.

2pac could make the same types of songs Drake could make:mjlol:

Then turn around and do a storytelling song like Brendas got a baby,a song like Dear Mama,A song like Blasphemy,a song like Against All Odds,a song like Picture me Rollin. But yall sitting here telling me DMX is more versatile:gucci:

Even DMXs flow isnt as varied and versatile as Pacs.

The chorus is the best thing about the song, its a classic song because of beat chorus and DMX animation but thats it, people trying to act as if DMX is a much better lyricist than Pac is simply wrong, in any way you can define a lyricist DMX isn't on another level to Pac, and Pac i far more poetic and eloquent and has a larger diction which ties in with lyricism also.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lol that verse isn't basic. You're conflating him being simple in word usage with being basic, when it's not at all the same. He's literally switching between topics of good and evil and fighting within himself. There's nothing basic about that.

If you're just looking for the 5 syllable words then you're going to miss the talent of being able to convey a split personality disorder by switching out his delivery and content every 3-4 bars into a different persona. That's not basic bro.

I dont even think he executed that all that well. I thought the song was him rhyming from the perspective of flossy rappers at the time. And from the perspective of the hungry street cat who wants to rob them if they dont stop being greedy. Rather they just started getting money,or been getting it. I didnt feel a split personality thing going on at all. Yall know damn well this song is basic when compared to the types of creative songs that preceded it,and came after it. So if we just giving it hype for creative points,its a no. If we just judge it on how good of a song it is? I would be hard pressed to think of a Pac song from MATW-Makaveli era that I would get rid of to keep "Dont Be Greedy". Ill give the universe Thug Passion and Whats Your Phone # but thats about it:pachaha:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
The chorus is the best thing about the song, its a classic song because of beat chorus and DMX animation but thats it, people trying to act as if DMX is a much better lyricist than Pac is simply wrong, in any way you can define a lyricist DMX isn't on another level to Pac, and Pac i far more poetic and eloquent and has a larger diction which ties in with lyricism also.
My point isn't to degrade Pac or his greatness. To me Pac was a lyricist, just different.

I say X is the better overall MC because I know his discography I feel like better than anyone, and I feel he displayed more skills. I know what he's capable of. You can go on Youtube and find a bunch of X freestyles from the 90s on where he's spazzing over other peoples beats. Switching flows, delivery, using wordplay, etc..he's more of a traditional spitter. He comes from the battle circuit. He was battle in jail, ciphering with the Lox, Mase, Jay-Z, Percee P, etc..

Pac wasn't breeded in the same way as a rapper. He got in through writing poetry and having a passion for social issues. Even if you search for Pac freestyles, it's usually him rapping with some kind of message behind it. Even in a format that's made for rapping for the soul purpose of just displaying skill, Pac wouldn't try to be clever.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Exactly,Pac at least used poetic devices like alliteration and internal rhyming. DMX basically talked aggressively on the track. Flow not nearly impressive to me as Pacs

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Pac was way ahead of X lyrically but X delivery on even some simple shyt was crazy... man made a verse just shouting random bytches names and it went Platinum in the hood, tiktoks still being made. He could definitely have hit Pac with something that would sting

Both were highly disrespectful mfers too lol it wouldve been great to see RIP the gods
Y'all take it to too far sometimes

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I dont even think he executed that all that well. I thought the song was him rhyming from the perspective of flossy rappers at the time. And from the perspective of the hungry street cat who wants to rob them if they dont stop being greedy. Rather they just started getting money,or been getting it. I didnt feel a split personality thing going on at all. Yall know damn well this song is basic when compared to the types of creative songs that preceded it,and came after it. So if we just giving it hype for creative points,its a no. If we just judge it on how good of a song it is? I would be hard pressed to think of a Pac song from MATW-Makaveli era that I would get rid of to keep "Dont Be Greedy". Ill give the universe Thug Passion and Whats Your Phone # but thats about it:pachaha:
You might want to re-listen to the song and read the lyrics again. It's literally himself fighting within himself. It's not two different people, it's the same person. Its him having a split personality. There's nothing basic about that.

And give me another single that was a hit that was more creative during that time period? I bet it won't be many. Even if this particular song is not your cup of tea.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Exactly,Pac at least used poetic devices like alliteration and internal rhyming. DMX basically talked aggressively on the track. Flow not nearly impressive to me as Pacs
Not sure how you claim to be a big DMX fan and think DMX didn't display skill like internal rhyming and say he only talked aggressively on a track. You probably listened to X casually.

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
Not sure how you claim to be a big DMX fan and think DMX didn't display skill like internal rhyming and say he only talked aggressively on a track. You probably listened to X casually.

Im in class and I see this thread blew up a bit lol. Can't respond to all the messages but yeah these dudes are naming shyt and just saying "Pac did this and DMX didn't do that" .... even though X did all of the shyt they are naming just as good and in some instances better

might have to turn this into a song for song thread

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Im in class and I see this thread blew up a bit lol. Can't respond to all the messages but yeah these dudes are naming shyt and just saying "Pac did this and DMX didn't do that" .... even though X did all of the shyt they are naming just as good and in some instances better

might have to turn this into a song for song thread
Lol facts. That's why I'm confused when nikkas claim they loved/were big fans of X but are not familiar with his skill set or think he was one dimensional. That nikka was dead nice. He comes from MCing since the 80s when it was all about being a rapper's rapper. Freestyling on Stretch and Bobbito, Unsigned Hype, etc... strip all the perceived "gimmicks" away. They are casual fans and nothing is wrong with that but they're speaking from a place of ignorance.

Daps
Reppin
Westside Atl Perry Homes
Snype should have clarified that the political reason it was changed for was pacs death. He kind of made it sound like X was running around dissing the dead

@Youngblood Priest there you go

People get the story cloudy by calling it "get at me dog" technically its what we know as get at me dog but it was just an X freestyle verse before Get At me dog was created. There is no recording of DMX on the get at me dog beat saying "that nikka tupac can suck my dikk" he changed it to k solo by 98. He liked the verse enough to use it on that beat and changed "west coast" to "rap game" and "tupac" to "k solo" but the rest of the verse is exactly as it was

X verse to pac starts at 2:09 he name drops him and mentions the west coast as well. But the fact that he does that proves the beginning of the verse is about him as well down to the Baltimore reference. He actually uses another verse from get at me dog at the end of this freestyle as well. But only that verse was for pac

Here it is over the I shot ya beat

There's no reason pac shouldn't have responded aside from him just never hearing it and eventually dying. Because pac called out the East coast as a whole by this time and he certain was shining light on Chino XL so im sure he would've responded to X had he heard it

Okay. Never saw this. Good look.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
Y'all take it to too far sometimes

What X verse is on the same level (technically) as for example the last verse on Me Against The World?? A verse that has A TON of internal, multisyllabic rhymes while being on pont as fukk with the flow and making complete sense and being deep as hell?

Pac wasnt imo an ELITE lyrcist ib the 99s like say Nas was, but he was a whole class above X. And I LOVE X bro cmon now, I actually feel Earls music is more authentic and emotional than Pacs someitnes but bar for bar flow for flow X not seeing Pac

Smokin Rider

I been official
Daps
Reppin
Seattle SuperChronic
Dmx is clearly a better rapper than 2pac

X has a way more rounded skill set

X can make any 2pac song if he wanted too. 2pac can’t make X type records
This is the dumbest thing I've read today. Congrats. If what you said was true DMX would have GOAT consideration but he is maybe top 10 at best. 2pac is undisputed GOAT

-Quikness-

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pac played the hood nikka to the hilt.
X was actually from the trenches and was actually wildin in the streets.
I think Pac might have tread carefully there.
Pac was in his mothers womb whilst she was in prison, he was dirt poor his whole life with a mother addicted to crack. They were both from the same cloth, X was just pulled into that same poison Afeni was