84 pictures of Dead Malls: A testament to a dying part of American culture.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Malls are still doing pretty well in Central and South Jersey. But as the years go by, the patronage of them has gone down a bit. Alot of it is because people don't need to go outside anymore for hardly anything. They can buy everything online and not have to interact with anyone. Of course this kills the social aspect of it because the bulk of people's experiences are through the social scene, so when people don't have anything to talk about, they become uninteresting.

The mall and the movies used to be the pinnacle of social interaction when I was a child and a teenager. I'd meet my friends from school at the mall over the weekend and we'd hang out, talk to girls, and then go to the movies. My first date ever was at the mall for dinner and then a movie. The newer generation now doesn't have much social interaction with eachother save social networks and school. Outside of that, they don't have much going on.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
when these desperate retailers do that shyt to save their businesses, you find out how much $$$ they scammed you by over the years, when malls were popular :ohhh:

those malls made big $$$ just like the music industry in the 80s-90s when cassettes/CDs had inflated prices. Think about how you spend $17 bucks for an album back in the day and $25 for a double album. They were eating good because they had a stranglehold on the distrubution and very few had high capacity CD burners that could do 500 CDs in an hour. The bootleggers started to catch up and then digital flipped the game on its ass.

As far as malls are concerned, they would get cheap leases from the management companies and sold a bunch of overpriced shyt that you couldnt really get anywhere else. There has always been mail order shyt, but companies like Fingerhut would rape the shyt outta people who couldnt pay upfront.

The internet made it so you can be a savvy shopper, compare price, badger these stores into price matching or flat out not even step foot into a store unless you wanted to have the shyt right at that moment.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That hurt my soul, especially the arcades. :sadbron: The mall's pulled me from the streets.

Going to the mall you to be so dope... Now its a fashion show, I mean it was back then too. But its nothing like it use to be, I feel like now everything is just a advertisement for sex and class-ism.

I met some of my best friends at the mall.

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
nw-mall-lot-breakup.jpg

Northwest Mall; always overcast and empty.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
I understand malls in cities like buffalo, detroit, cleveland, indiana areas are dying because majority of the manufacturing and auto jobs left town or went bankrupt

i'm telling u its only a matter of time when 70% of the country will be on government assistants because of no jobs

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The thing is they making all these town squares with end stores. I find these things stupid especially in the winter when most shopping usually occurs.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it seem like every city got one booming mall

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
All I see is thousands of jobs lost

Now I use Amazon as much as anyone else but thier end game is awful. I mean right now they very little in taxes and give nothing back to the communitys in terms of labor. Yea they have huge warehouses but its becoming more and more automated. I mean theres already less and less jobs out there. Not everyone can get an IT cert which are being more and more outsourced.

So glad I will probably be dead in 50 years :heh:
lol

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
those malls made big $$$ just like the music industry in the 80s-90s when cassettes/CDs had inflated prices. Think about how you spend $17 bucks for an album back in the day and $25 for a double album. They were eating good because they had a stranglehold on the distrubution and very few had high capacity CD burners that could do 500 CDs in an hour. The bootleggers started to catch up and then digital flipped the game on its ass.

As far as malls are concerned, they would get cheap leases from the management companies and sold a bunch of overpriced shyt that you couldnt really get anywhere else. There has always been mail order shyt, but companies like Fingerhut would rape the shyt outta people who couldnt pay upfront.

The internet made it so you can be a savvy shopper, compare price, badger these stores into price matching or flat out not even step foot into a store unless you wanted to have the shyt right at that moment.

Internet is the game changer that destroyed the status quo. Everything is going digital and there are less and less need for physical things. That took away so many jobs and now, most teenagers of this era think that a job is something that only college students/ grown ups have. However, it serves these retailers right for thinking that they had a monopoly and can keep it that way for an eternity. They left prices high as shyt and thinking that people won't try to do something different, but they did and left many malls empty.

I understand malls in cities like buffalo, detroit, cleveland, indiana areas are dying because majority of the manufacturing and auto jobs left town or went bankrupt

i'm telling u its only a matter of time when 70% of the country will be on government assistants because of no jobs

The concept of a job will be extinct in another 30 years outside of Nursing, Doctors, and so on. Even IT workers are not bulletproof from new technology that can repair systems when they are down better than any human being can.

Danny Up

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LOL@you blaming retailers. They don't get the merchandise for free. They still have overhead and such.

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
Screen-Shot-2012-08-22-at-11.19.35-PM-585x435.png

LOL, this mall aint dead, i took my daughter to get some sneakers there today. Its dying tho

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Online shopping made the likes of these malls :sadcam:

I do, however, miss the days where you can chill an entire day at a shopping center and do all kinds of things.