8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Damn you're right there were a lot of RnB covers in the 90's. I just remembered Mary J remade that one rose royce song (I'm going down).

Mary's cover of patrice rushen was good but Patrice Rushen killed it from the beginning and still has the better version.

I see where you're coming from in your original post and I'm actually starting to agree with you

There were too many covers in the 90's and beyond. You begin to wonder where is the talent of today's singers, songwriters and musicians.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
No I am older than that, which is why I can remember the originals of some music. Btw, some of the 1990's remakes wasn't that bad. Mary J. Blige didn't do that bad on her remake of Patrice Rushen; but Patrice Rushen actually played instruments. Bell Biv Devoe's remake of G.C. Cameron's classic was not that bad either. My favorite remake of all time actually occurred in the 1980's when Stevie Wonder remade All I Do which he originally wrote for Tammi Terrell.

Also want to add

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
The singing talent just isn't there

From today's era who can cover a whitney song, luther, or mariah carey...

Today's era just can't sing

There are a few exceptions like bruno bars but no one big in R&B can cover all time greats.

Imaging the weekend singing a luther song like radio...his pipes would probably blow up.
And Bruno is not that great of a vocalist. He is talented but he sounds like he straining compare to other artist.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I didn't either :lolbron:

I would sing that shyt all day back when I was younger.

"You're making it hard for me" :deadmanny:

Next were coming with more double entendres than Lupe!

I didn't get it either back then until my mom flipped out when she heard me singing along to it. She then had to break it down to me what they were talking about :beli:

I wonder if she could tell I'm hard right now, hm
Yeah, come on, dance for me baby, ha ha, yeah
Oh, oh, you feel that, alright

:shaq:

Come on, don't stop now
You done did it, come on, uh, yeah, alright, hold on
Baby when we're grinding
I get so excited

:troll:

Ooh, how I like it
I try but I can't fight it

:troll:

Oh, your dancing real close

:takedat:

Plus it's real real slow
(You know what you're doing, don't you)
You're making it hard for me

:steviej:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Its by design. Music has the potential to be one of black peoples most effective weapons. It has the ability to uplift, motivate, inpire, educate and unify. Even during slavery, music was a way to boost morale and communicate via hidden messages.

The systematic draining of the love and soul out of black music has been by design. We don't own our own outlets. Its not merely an accident or a coincidence. It was done purposely. They don't want us loving each other

Facts. Now, it's all about the strip club, trapping, and thotting. Even the concept of a long term relationship is done with is.

B b bu but it's entertainment and it's not catered to lames.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Same argument being made for over 50 years, Black music historically has evolved quickly. When Bebop and Duwop started to fade Soul, and funk music became the forefront of black music. They evolved into R&B and hip hop.

I would add Arts and Music Are Being underfunded/cut in schools and kids don't learn Music/Theory.
Black music in america originated in the Church as far a musicians and singers. not really like that anymore.

Black kids today just go to their sound systems on their laptops and make autotune bullshyt.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
#4 "too much sex" :comeon:

I kinda agree there is too much sex. Nothing left to the imagination anymore. I remember Marvin tuning out and hearing him almost at a whisper say, "masturbate." That's lightweight today. Folks say and show whatever now and its not even shocking. Even BET Uncut lost its purpose cuz what was being shown during the day was just about as inappropriate. Took MTV about two weeks before they censored, "my dikk a boss!"

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man stop. They were talkin about fukkin even back in the day.

I don't know bruh, but a lot of the best songs back in the day were not even about sex. Some were about the bullshyt that Black people were going through.

Some songs were about nikkas that couldn't get the girl no matter what he tried. Or it was about the girl about to leave his ass.

Now some of the songs were about sex and when them nikkas made those songs; babies were going to be made.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
nah its true. chris browns "fukk you back to sleep" is an example. no reason for it not to have been "love you back to sleep" imo.

Word. I hate cursing in them old style RnB songs. I want that type of music to be timeless and sensual to listen to my girl. Not just some "pull out my dikk and the bytch suck it" type mess.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black kids today just go to their sound systems on their laptops and make autotune bullshyt.

Musicians are still around, people can still sing lmao, they just aren't put on lmao

If I had a million dollars to invest I could bring that type of music to the forefront, but I don't, and the people who do can't see that vision or really don't care

Barry Gordy gave the blueprint what to do,it would still work today

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Don't see how anyone with their head on straight can listen to most of the R&B out and be emotionally moved. I listen to new artist and they don't move me emotionally at all. (I listen

I've tried and something is just missing. I don't believe what they are saying. It comes off as fake. I know show business so it's always level of falseness and gimmicks.

Last edited: