8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly. Its just nostalgia for most of these "RnB/Hip Hop has died" people, talmbout "theres too much sex on RnB radio in 2017" :kblackscust:Like R. Kelly wasn't pissin on 15 year olds in the 90s, or like Prince wasn't all "sexually open" in the 80s or like Donna Summer wasn't feigning orgasms over a beat in the 70s

Donna Summers was Disco and Funk. Her and Rick James were never truly R&B; they may have did some R&B; but their bones were not made in R&B. Disco eventually melted into greater Pop music and House music.

R. Kelly was/is good, but IMO Ronald Isley was a much better version of that type of R&B singer. In fact IMO most of the R&B singers in the 90's were kind of doing knock off versions of the 60's, 70's and 80's singers that they grew up listening to. So guys like Levert, R. Kelly, Mary J. Blige etc., were actually just moderning versions of other great artists. R. Kelly and Levert were good though.

If any of you want to hear truly great R&B music then you have to go back to the 60's, 70's and 80's. That music was unreal and just straight up ridiculously good.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Donna Summers was Disco and Funk. Her and Rick James were never truly R&B; they may have did some R&B; but their bones were not made in R&B. Disco eventually melted into greater Pop music and House music.

R. Kelly was/is good, but IMO Ronald Isley was a much better version of that type of R&B singer. In fact IMO most of the R&B singers in the 90's were kind of doing knock off versions of the 60's, 70's and 80's singers that they grew up listening to. So guys like Levert, R. Kelly, Mary J. Blige etc., were actually just moderning versions of other great artists. R. Kelly and Levert were good though.

If any of you want to hear truly great R&B music then you have to go back to the 60's, 70's and 80's. That music was unreal and just straight up ridiculously good.

Dap + rep

But what the hell!!!

Mary J was the shyt too!!!! :damn:

James Gordon

Superstar
Daps
Its because black folk dont own RnB so therefore cant control its rise nor fall

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Mary J. was alright, but even you have to admit that she and Keith Sweat were a huge drop off from singers that were making hits in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I mean shoot, there was some classic stuff being dropped in the 60's and 70's but mary J's first 2 albums were classic in their own right.

She made music that even our parents could vibe too. (I'm assuming you're an 80s baby like me)

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Young kids don't like R{&B they want heavy beat dancing music or techno now.
Older cats aren't really buying cds and going to concerts heavy, so that 80s-2000s R&B acts don't have the heavy touring base to depend on like the pre-80s acts.
Its fukked up, on top of that, only play for R&B is white artists on black and white owned "black" stations, so you have black singers and crooners literally locked out the mainstream.

Not necessarily true :patrice:

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
No........it hasnt

2017 has hope
Solange
Beyonce
Frank Ocean
the Weekend
Trap Soul (carry over from the end of '15)
Anderson Paak
PnD
Maxwell
DVSN
Rihanna

I know Im missing some but these were all released to much acclaim and fanfare.

I didnt say it was the music you liked or whatever but no one can deny that R&B made some headway back into the mainstream this year

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Solange
Beyonce
Frank Ocean
the Weekend
Trap Soul (carry over from the end of '15)
Anderson Paak
PnD
Maxwell
DVSN
Rihanna

I know Im missing some but these were all released to much acclaim and fanfare.

I didnt say it was the music you liked or whatever but no one can deny that R&B made some headway back into the mainstream this year
I said similar shyt but they not trying to hear it.

RnB is still doing ok it's just not shyt these oldass nikkas wanna hear anymore