8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
Yup. A lot R&B's biggest hits were songs that were cross over from Gospel or had Gospel undertones. There also used to be a lot of inspirational songs and songs about family.

Yup! Dap and +rep :salute::wow:

Daps
#4 "too much sex" :comeon:

This.

Ginuwine, r Kelly, usher, and whole lot of other acts were talking about sex.

All it really comes down to is the over saturation of hip hop. R&b is too diluted with it.

These labels see the money that comes from hip hop and that's why we ain't no r&b groups or no real big r&b artist nowadays.

Talent will always exist, but to the labels there's no real lucrative market for r&b.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yup! Dap and +rep :salute::wow:

I miss the inspirational songs more than any group of songs. The raunchy music was always there, but inspirational stuff is what has disappeared. R. Kelly had "I can fly" in the 90's, but otherwise I don't hear many inspirational songs. Hardcore rap music has these crazy ass kids thinking that being inspired is weak. What is really crazy is that even inspirational rappers have disappeared. Kool Moe Dee was really good, funny and inspirational.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
I miss the inspirational songs more than any group of songs. The raunchy music was always there, but inspirational stuff is what has disappeared. R. Kelly had "I can fly" in the 90's, but otherwise I don't hear many inspirational songs. Hardcore rap music has these crazy ass kids thinking that being inspired is weak. What is really crazy is that even inspirational rappers have disappeared. Kool Moe Dee was really good, funny and inspirational.

Yup :yes:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
IYou can still get your inspirational R&B its gospel music.
If you want to be honest, your old school R&B has all migrated to the gospel music scene.

True. It's just a lot of the "new" gospel music doesn't even sound gospel like. It resembles a lot of contemporary R&B. The sound that is. But then again, I can't speak much on this cause I don't listen to a lot of contemporary of gospel.

Daps
black people have lost their soul

I was watching Bill Withers, being put into the rock n roll hall of fame as the only solo act on HBO, and they had John Legend come out to do Use Me

He was souless, so swagless when performing this song, so out of his element, and he's suppose to be on the real "vocalist" of this generation

either he was drugged before performing or he went full cac

Usher also butchered ray charles songs at the white house

before you had to be talent to represent black music, it's not the case, you just have to have skills at recording in a booth

You wildin` for this one.:camby:

Both of them are very talented.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
True. It's just a lot of the "new" gospel music doesn't even sound gospel like. It resembles a lot of contemporary R&B. The sound that is. But then again, I can't speak much on this cause I don't listen to a lot of contemporary of gospel.
Man they make who they sing about loving so vague that if it wasn't on a gospel station you would have no problem believing it was a 90s era love song.
Kind of funny to me.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IYou can still get your inspirational R&B its gospel music.
If you want to be honest, your old school R&B has all migrated to the gospel music scene.

Naw man Gospel music was always a separate genre than R&B. It was never the same that is why they called it crossing over. Shirley Caesar, Winans, Mahalia Jackson and Trumaine Hawkins, etc., all of them always sang Gospel.

R&B singers typically pretty much stayed R&B. They didn't really go back and forth to Gospel and R&B. Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Al Green, Ray Charles and a few others are the only ones that could cross over and sing Gospel and R&B. This goes back to a bigger issue. Black people used to have a lot more respect for the Black Church back in those days, so they didn't disrespect Church music and Churches by secularizing music.

Now a alot of older Black people do go back to singing Gospel once they stop making R&B music. Al Green and Stacy Lattisaw do that right now.

I think the people that you are talking about are these people from the Kurt Franklin era. I hate their music. Either sing gospel or sing R&B.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Naw man Gospel music was always a separate genre than R&B. It was never the same that is why they called it crossing over. Shirley Caesar, Winans, Mahalia Jackson and Trumaine Hawkins, etc., all of them always sang Gospel.

R&B singers typically pretty much stayed R&B. They didn't really go back and forth to Gospel and R&B. Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Al Green, Ray Charles and a few others are the only ones that could cross over and sing Gospel and R&B. This goes back to a bigger issue. Black people used to have a lot more respect for the Black Church back in those days, so they didn't disrespect Church music and Churches by secularizing music.

Now a alot of older Black people do go back to singing Gospel once they stop making R&B music. Al Green and Stacy Lattisaw do that right now.

I think the people that you are talking about are these people from the Kurt Franklin era. I hate their music. Either sing gospel or sing R&B.
You are talking about older era gospel, I"m talking about contempory modern gospel.
It is literally 90s R&B filled with 90s R&B singers

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You are talking about older era gospel, I"m talking about contempory modern gospel.
It is literally 90s R&B filled with 90s R&B singers

Yeah that is that Kirk Franklin shyt. That is terrible and it is making two separate genres of music suffer.

Daps
Terrible, click-bait, fear mongering article. :scust:Authors chatting shyt. Beyonce, Drake, Frank Ocean, Breezy, Usher, Weeknd, Bryson Tiller, Miguel, Jeremih, Anderson. Paak move units and are highly influential.

People just need to get out and look for shyt or actually listen to these RnB stations. Usher just dropped a hit, Maxwell just dropped a dope album, Chris Brown is dropping an album, Tyrese dropped something earlier last year, Jeremih still does it, August Alsina still dropping shyt, etc.. And thats off the top of my head.

People just mad that RnB is evolving just like it was supposed to do over a 20 year span and but one thing that will never change is black people that can sing.

Ill tell you what did disappear was black boy bands

Solange
Beyonce
Frank Ocean
the Weekend
Trap Soul (carry over from the end of '15)
Anderson Paak
PnD
Maxwell
DVSN
Rihanna

I know Im missing some but these were all released to much acclaim and fanfare.

I didnt say it was the music you liked or whatever but no one can deny that R&B made some headway back into the mainstream this year

Exactly! R&B is on a roll right now.

My nikka Ro James never gets his due in these threads...