8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
that age group listens to alot of indie for example. A ton of indie rock is blues based like The Black Keys, jack White and Alabama Shakes

there are many innovative/eclectic sounds to be found in "modern r&B".

Why do you nee a popular mag to validate your musical tastes/let you know how healthy a genre is? Rolling Stone puts white rock acts on their cover all of the time and you still have white people complaining that rock is dead

again, why do you need radio to tell what and what isn't popping/good?

jazz is alive a well even if you don't see on TV as often

How A Korean Jazz Festival Found A Huge Young Audience

How A Korean Jazz Festival Found A Huge Young Audience

contempt R&B is all over the mainstream:gucci:

the throwback "soul guys" even get their coverage

its real contemporary R&B:dwillhuh:

why do you need something to be popular to enjoy it?

1. Why do y'all keep calling Rihanna R&B? She's closer to Madonna than R&B. She's a POP singer, just like Lady gaga, Janet Jackson, & Katy Perry. There's nothing soulful about that woman's singing. She can't even sing.

2. None of those nikkaz you posted to could get arrested in any town in America. They are not what Stevie was in '76 or Earth Wind & Fire were.

3. Who said I needed Rolling Stone to validate what I like. What I said was Rolling Stone is a BAROMETER for what is going on in popular culture and traditional "real" R&B is not what's going on in popular culture, which is why you keep posting marginal artists who are "indie" or who just had a song in a commercial or something as opposed to people who are selling out stadiums and world tours like Parliament used to do.

I like a lot of old music, but I'm smart enough to know that it's not what's popping today.

4. The article is about the BLACK community. Why is some Koreans talking about Jazz being posted in this thread? It's completely irrelevant to the topic, which I remind you is about the declining relevance of traditional R&B in the Black community.

5. Actually, Rolling Stone puts very few rock bands on their covers now, because Rock N Roll is basically dead. Pretty much you're much more likely to see President Obama, Donald Trump, Kevin Durant, The Cast of Hamilton, & Leonardo DiCaprio on the cover of their mag than any rock bands.

Pretty much the only rockers you see on Rolling Stone coveres these days are heritage acts like The Rolling Stones, U2, Green Day, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, etc. . .

The fact that they've pretty much given up on covering musicans and are pretty much a pop culture magazine shows you that music itself has taken on a different place in our culture

That's ironic because the male "r&b" of today sounds feminine and far from masculine to my ears.

Chris Brown, Trey Songs, Bryson Tiller, Ne-Yo, etc. sound barely adolescent and fragile when compared to Dennis Edwards, Eddie LeVert, Levi Stubbs and Barry White.

Where'd the bass-in-the-voice go?

You both make good points.

The type of R&B you see projects a certain "toxic masculinity" as opposed to a real masculinity like you saw with Barry White and Freddie Jackson and Teddy Pendergrass

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Pitch correction has been exposed... Lowering the value of real singers via brainwashing.
You hear something enough, you prefer it.
Singers thought too highly of themselves... Especially nonwriters.
Now a continually evolving program has replaced you in hearts and minds.
Even good voices need pitch correction now.
Oh what a shame...talent has been tamed.
Plus: that feeling, it's just not there.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The articles are interesting from the standpoints that rap/hip-hop was never all serious to the level that they could be militant towards the message of R&B as well as hip-hop coming full circle and becoming the new source of fantasy by the end of the golden era.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
The bass in men's voices also left hipho where now we got whiny squeeky sounding half men trying to sound tough..

What I meant is that Chris Brown and the rest don't sing love songs..they sing of explicit fukking and shyt on tape. Women are not valued but mere objects serving as Cum dumpsters.

I understand your point.

But I wonder whether now having several generations of black boys and young men raised largely by
and around girls and women has had an effect on their vocal and speech patterns?

And in households and communities where men are absent and marginalized, don't the boys/men then
de-value themselves and by extension others (girls/women)? How could a culture of romance flow
from this?

I see Chris Brown as the poster boy for the above.

Isaac Hayes, David Ruffin, Jerry Butler, Melle Mel, Teddy Pendergrass, Kool Moe Dee, Chuck D,
Barry White, Larry Graham, Lou Rawls, Johnny Gill. Those bass types of voices are probably gone forever,
replaced clarinet sounding ones like Trey Songz, Jay Z, Chris Brown, Drake, Bryson Tiller, etc.

Funny thing is that Drake is Larry Graham's nephew. They represent the changeover right in the Graham family alone.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I understand your point.

But I wonder whether now having several generations of black boys and young men raised largely by
and around girls and women has had an effect on their vocal and speech patterns?

And in households and communities where men are absent and marginalized, don't the boys/men then
de-value themselves and by extension others (girls/women)? How could a culture of romance flow
from this?

I see Chris Brown as the poster boy for the above.

Isaac Hayes, David Ruffin, Jerry Butler, Melle Mel, Teddy Pendergrass, Kool Moe Dee, Chuck D,
Barry White, Larry Graham, Lou Rawls, Johnny Gill. Those bass types of voices are probably gone forever,
replaced clarinet sounding ones like Trey Songz, Jay Z, Chris Brown, Drake, Bryson Tiller, etc.

Funny thing is that Drake is Larry Graham's nephew. They represent the changeover right in the Graham family alone.

It's also an extension of the pussification of Black men in media.
I can only tolerate Jay Z voice because his lyrics and demeanor demand it. I can't make the same exception for the likes of Drake and young Thug.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The bass in men's voices also left hipho where now we got whiny squeeky sounding half men trying to sound tough..

What I meant is that Chris Brown and the rest don't sing love songs..they sing of explicit fukking and shyt on tape. Women are not valued but mere objects serving as Cum dumpsters.

Facts

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
Todays R&B is really just melodic hiphop with the same immature outlook on subject matter and relationships.If you market the core demgraphic then making songs about the real life stuff that happens in relationships and courting women then classic R&B has no place in it.When you have grown ass men singing about strip clubs and how fat an ass should be before we fall in love with it i can understand why old R&B might sound corny to young ears not raised on grown ass music and instrumentation that holds another frequency then they're used to.Listen to an old EWF song and tell me if it touches a totally differrent part of your soul than music does now.Frequencies/soundwaves are very important,lyrics complimented the frequencies.Music in general has become a narrow margin of frequencies anyway if you ask me.For some reason youth culture has dominated every aspect of the human expercience it seems,like if you are past 35 you are no longer relevant to anyone,when in actuality those are the years in which you become who you are supposed to be instead of trying to mold yourself after whomever you idolize/worship in your teens and early adulthood,older R&B records spoke on that part of your life way more then it does now

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
It's really just this.

There's a Black Station in ATL that plays Jazz (Old and New) literally all day. And the reception sucks.

The Tel Com Act is the reason R&B (Black music) is dead.

Its death also coincided with the fall of Bet.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Its death also coincided with the fall of Bet.
Fall = White-washing by Viacom

This was the final nail in the coffin

The last place rappers HAD TO FREESTYLE

You had actual sangers ... all of 'em for Kelly Price, Dave Hollister, normal looking, choir, type black folks with voices and soul

Black music died November 2000

Viacom buys BET for $2.3B in stock - Nov. 3, 2000

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Fall = White-washing by Viacom

This was the final nail in the coffin

The last place rappers HAD TO FREESTYLE

You had actual sangers ... all of 'em for Kelly Price, Dave Hollister, normal looking, choir, type black folks with voices and soul

Black music died November 2000

Viacom buys BET for $2.3B in stock - Nov. 3, 2000

Bet was the glue that bonded it all.:francis:

In a way they bought something that helps generate billions annually for a 2.3 Billion $ once off payment:mjcry:

When Bob Johnson cashed his check everything went to shyt