8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

Stack Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I was just bumpin 24K Magic and thought about this thread, Bruno Mars is one of the biggest artists out now and he not only makes R&B (along wit black genres like Soul and Funk) but dropped a R&B classic a few months ago so its not completely "dead", you had Pharrell a few years ago wit the biggest hit of the year in Happy that had a R&B feel (it was more so Soul) and John Legend still doin his thing along wit Chris Brown and Ne-Yo but they ain't as successful as they once were.

Thats why nikkas is sayin its dead cause outside of 1 guy (2 when Timberlake decides to make music) no one is doin it real big on the level that R&B used to be on, the mainstream used to be flooded wit nothin but R&B chart toppers puttin out platinum classics but now its a couple guys still doin that a handful who used to be on that level then fell off but still have some moderate success and everyone else is so irrelevant you don't even notice when they flop.

Exactly

nikkas ain't trying to look for new shyt. They just wanna turn on a mainstream radio and hear the similarities of classic slow jams they remember from 20 years ago
Thats one of the reasons Bruno Mars is so successful cause they get that wit him he stay bringin back the sound of classic R&B Soul and Funk nikka even got some New Jack Swing influences on his newest album.:banderas:

But that was 20 years ago, get over it. RnB has evolved like it was always going to.. Dude just listed all the black music that was created by us then evolved either into something new or an exstension of the old.
What they sayin is R&B more so devolved just cause it changed doesn't make it an evolution it changed for the worse.

People still out here singing love songs and slow jams but thats not whats mainstream.. At least not without a rapper on it. Accept it, the trend started in the 90's. But people are still making dope albums that yall not checking for then you say RnB is dead just like nikkas was saying hip hop was dead 10 years ago
Which is why nikkas are sayin R&B is dead most of the so called "R&B" is hip hop wit a singer on it, that trend didn't start in the 90s cause they still had tons of REAL R&B back then it started in the early 2000s wit Jennifer Lopez doin collabs wit Ja Rule The LOX and LL Cool J and Ciara doin the "Crunk N B" style even Usher did a joint like that wit Lil John (I fukked wit every last one of those songs but it wasn't REAL R&B).

And I never jumped on that Hip Hop is dead trend but they didn't think it was actually "dead" the way nikkas feel about R&B cause Hip Hop was bigger than ever they were sayin it was dead cause the genre was gettin wack to them becomin watered down and strayin away from the roots so they felt "real" Hip Hop was dead, ironically those same nikkas hated on Snap Dance and Soulja Boy Crankin Dat when that was actually closer to the roots of Hip Hop than what all the "real hip hop artists" were doin cause Hip Hop started out as party music to dance to and have fun which is what Snap Dance was all about and why I fukked wit that too.

People don't seem to like change much I've noticed, despite it being an inevitability in almost everything in life
They don't mind change if what its changin to is good but alot of the music out today just ain't good.:yeshrug:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I was just bumpin 24K Magic and thought about this thread, Bruno Mars is one of the biggest artists out now and he not only makes R&B (along wit black genres like Soul and Funk) but dropped a R&B classic a few months ago so its not completely "dead", you had Pharrell a few years ago wit the biggest hit of the year in Happy that had a R&B feel (it was more so Soul) and John Legend still doin his thing along wit Chris Brown and Ne-Yo but they ain't as successful as they once were.

Thats why nikkas is sayin its dead cause outside of 1 guy (2 when Timberlake decides to make music) no one is doin it real big on the level that R&B used to be on, the mainstream used to be flooded wit nothin but R&B chart toppers puttin out platinum classics but now its a couple guys still doin that a handful who used to be on that level then fell off but still have some moderate success and everyone else is so irrelevant you don't even notice when they flop.

Thats one of the reasons Bruno Mars is so successful cause they get that wit him he stay bringin back the sound of classic R&B Soul and Funk nikka even got some New Jack Swing influences on his newest album.:banderas:

What they sayin is R&B more so devolved just cause it changed doesn't make it an evolution it changed for the worse.

Which is why nikkas are sayin R&B is dead most of the so called "R&B" is hip hop wit a singer on it, that trend didn't start in the 90s cause they still had tons of REAL R&B back then it started in the early 2000s wit Jennifer Lopez doin collabs wit Ja Rule The LOX and LL Cool J and Ciara doin the "Crunk N B" style even Usher did a joint like that wit Lil John (I fukked wit every last one of those songs but it wasn't REAL R&B).

And I never jumped on that Hip Hop is dead trend but they didn't think it was actually "dead" the way nikkas feel about R&B cause Hip Hop was bigger than ever they were sayin it was dead cause the genre was gettin wack to them becomin watered down and strayin away from the roots so they felt "real" Hip Hop was dead, ironically those same nikkas hated on Snap Dance and Soulja Boy Crankin Dat when that was actually closer to the roots of Hip Hop than what all the "real hip hop artists" were doin cause Hip Hop started out as party music to dance to and have fun which is what Snap Dance was all about and why I fukked wit that too.

They don't mind change if what its changin to is good but alot of the music out today just ain't good.:yeshrug:
Maxwell just dropped a dope album too
Beyonce is pop-ish to me but her and Rhianna dropped huge albums last year so "Bruno mars" isnt the only RnB artist doing big shyt

Drake does RnB too but none of you old nikkas like to group him in that category which is whatever

And the hiphop RnB shyt definitely started in the 90's... When else would've had start:dahell:

Just because what yall considered "real RnB" was more popular then doesnt mean anything.

Again, point is RnB is still around and still being made regardless if you think it's "good" or not.

Turn off your radio and literally search Itunes for RnB, buy some music, and support them. it's not that hard

Stack Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Beyonce is pop-ish to me but her and Rhianna dropped huge albums last year so "Bruno mars" isnt the only RnB artist doing big shyt

Drake does RnB too but none of you old nikkas like to group him in that category which is whatever

And the hiphop RnB shyt definitely started in the 90's... When else would've had start:dahell:

Just because what yall considered "real RnB" was more popular then doesnt mean anything.

Again, point is RnB is still around and still being made regardless if you think it's "good" or not.

Turn off your radio and literally search Itunes for RnB, buy some music, and support them. it's not that hard
:stopitslime:Maxwell ain't a big R&B artist in 2017 but yeah Beyonce and Rihanna are on that short list, and I always considered Drake a R&B singer who raps cause his soft nikka music fits R&B more than Hip Hop and he sings better than he raps so quit makin assumptions and sayin anyone who disagrees wit you is a "old nikka" when you prolly the same age as me.:mmmhmmiseeyou:

:ufdup:I just told you when it started in the early 00s they weren't doin those type of collaborations wit rappers in the 90s to the point that both genres got twisted into some hybrid shyt.

No one is sayin R&B isn't still around you takin "dead" too literally we sayin it fell off hard and some of the few thats still popular ain't even authentic R&B, again the fact that you have to beg people to search for shyt and support them shows that its "dead" nikkas ain't goin out of there way to find some R&B especially since most of it is wack these days which is the point.:umad:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
In KC we have the "grown folks" R&B station 107.3 and the contemporary R&B/hip hop station 103.3 They almost sound exactly the same now.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps

Dude, people are still making Blues and Jazz records. Hell, people are still making Mozart and Beethoven type music, that doesn't mean they are "vibant" living genres of music.

Face it, modern day R&B is either watered down with pop like Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, & Bruno Mars.

Hip-Hop like Drake, Rihanna, & Chris Brown

EDM like Frank Ocean, The Weekend, & people like that.

Nobody who was around when R&B was R&B when Freddie Jackson, The Isley Brothers, and Toni, Tony, Tone were on the radio is talking about R&B being anything but a shell of it's former glory.

Now, does that mean that there aren't people like Maxwell or Badu making R&B with organic instruments?

No, but it means that R&B is not an important genre in America today like Country, EDM, and POP

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Dude, people are still making Blues and Jazz records. Hell, people are still making Mozart and Beethoven type music, that doesn't mean they are "vibant" living genres of music.

Face it, modern day R&B is either watered down with pop like Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, & Bruno Mars.

Nobody who was around when R&B was R&B when Freddie Jackson, The Isley Brothers, and Toni, Tony, Tone were on the radio is talking about R&B being anything but a shell of it's former glory.

Now, does that mean that there aren't people like Maxwell or Badu making R&B with organic instruments?

No, but it means that R&B is not an important genre in America today like Country, EDM, and POP
Or maybe its just not the only important genre

Like I said, those artists in genres are getting support. What are you doing for RnB music.....

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

actually that qualifies them as vibrant/living genres

R&B has always been "pop" and the edm/electronic shyt was there since the 80's

the 60s/70s cats said the samething about 80s rnb and that era said the same about 90's rnb

CgHZvgx.jpg

I already proved this to be false.

What are the most popular music genres in America?
Here’s a breakdown of music genres from Nielsen Music, which compiled every sale across CDs, vinyl, digital downloads, and streaming to calculate which types of music are most popular.

Here’s what they found:

I. Overall: CDs + vinyl + downloads + streaming
US, 2015. Source: Nielsen Music.

Interestingly, Rock tops the list by a wide margin, though Rap/Hip-Hop isn’t far behind. Interestingly, Spotify counted Rap/Hip-Hop as its most the popular of its music genres in 2015, though Spotify users may represent a younger subset of music listeners.

What are the Most Popular Music Genres In America?

Rock music is twice as popular as pop in America – but R&B rules streaming

US music fans consumed twice as much rock music as pop music in 2014, according to new figures – but R&B/hip-hop was the most popular genre across streaming services like Spotify, YouTube and Rdio.

TotalstreamsUS2014.jpg

Rock music is twice as popular as pop in America - but R&B rules streaming - Music Business Worldwide

Stack Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
it's funny and Hmmmm bizarre that rnb and hip hop right now is dead or in decay with real ass talent..
rnb turned into what>?
fukking adele? and rihana? bruno fukkin marz?

fukk outa here.
:ufdup:Bruno Mars is the shyt and has a ton of talent, Adele has talent too even tho I don't fukk wit her music.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Or maybe its just not the only important genre

Like I said, those artists in genres are getting support. What are you doing for RnB music.....
It was never the only important genre. Most important, but Jazz was important into the '80s. People like Grover Washington, Al Jerreau, Patrice Rushen, Lonnie Liston Smith, the Marsalis Brothers were all important artists

actually that qualifies them as vibrant/living genres

R&B has always been "pop" and the edm/electronic shyt was there since the 80's

the 60s/70s cats said the samething about 80s rnb and that era said the same about 90's rnb

CgHZvgx.jpg

I already proved this to be false.

What are the most popular music genres in America?
Here’s a breakdown of music genres from Nielsen Music, which compiled every sale across CDs, vinyl, digital downloads, and streaming to calculate which types of music are most popular.

Here’s what they found:

I. Overall: CDs + vinyl + downloads + streaming

Interestingly, Rock tops the list by a wide margin, though Rap/Hip-Hop isn’t far behind. Interestingly, Spotify counted Rap/Hip-Hop as its most the popular of its music genres in 2015, though Spotify users may represent a younger subset of music listeners.

What are the Most Popular Music Genres In America?

Rock music is twice as popular as pop in America – but R&B rules streaming

US music fans consumed twice as much rock music as pop music in 2014, according to new figures – but R&B/hip-hop was the most popular genre across streaming services like Spotify, YouTube and Rdio.

TotalstreamsUS2014.jpg

Rock music is twice as popular as pop in America - but R&B rules streaming - Music Business Worldwide

1. I've been saying the entire thread that it started dying in the '80s and '90s. Sure it's better than the crap we have in 2017, but it was a fall off from Motown and Earth, Wind, & Fire

2. The 60's and '70s cats were better than the cats in the '80s and '90s, or are we arguing that R.Kelly, Mary J. and them are better than Motown, Stax, The Isley Brothers, and Marvin Gaye? They were right to talk about how R&B was falling off, because it was.

3. You know why R&B/Hip-Hop are bundled together on that chart? Because the two genres are indistinguishable from each other, which is EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole thread. That it's not REAL R&B or REAL Hip-Hop, it's a weird mingling of the two like Drake, Rihanna, Frank Ocean, Chris Brown, etc. . . That's not real R&B

4. 15 year old kids are not listening to Jazz, the Blues , or Mozart in large numbers. That makes them basically dead genres. They make almost ZERO dent in American popular culture

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
It was never the only important genre. Most important, but Jazz was important into the '80s. People like Grover Washington, Al Jerreau, Patrice Rushen, Lonnie Liston Smith, the Marsalis Brothers were all important artists

1. I've been saying the entire thread that it started dying in the '80s and '90s. Sure it's better than the crap we have in 2017, but it was a fall off from Motown and Earth, Wind, & Fire

2. The 60's and '70s cats were better than the cats in the '80s and '90s, or are we arguing that R.Kelly, Mary J. and them are better than Motown, Stax, The Isley Brothers, and Marvin Gaye? They were right to talk about how R&B was falling off, because it was.

3. You know why R&B/Hip-Hop are bundled together on that chart? Because the two genres are indistinguishable from each other, which is EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole thread. That it's not REAL R&B or REAL Hip-Hop, it's a weird mingling of the two like Drake, Rihanna, Frank Ocean, Chris Brown, etc. . . That's not real R&B

4. 15 year old kids are not listening to Jazz, the Blues , or Mozart in large numbers. That makes them basically dead genres. They make almost ZERO dent in American popular culture
Ofcourse they are important artists breh.. They are legends

I hope people dont get what I'm saying twisted, every song in here is pretty much legendary.

Thing is, some good music is being created, legendary-esque songs, but people arent checking for them or dismissing them.

Imagine if your mom heard "Bump n grind" in her day and age. She might like it on the low but mostly everyone would be like :picard:

Thats all I'm saying. Are there any RnB classics being made now... No, not in the way we look at them. But how the youth look at it, maybe... Still got to give shyt a chance.

One of my favorite RnB songs in recent memory was Smartphones by Trey Songs. He always dropping RnB heat.. Would be a classic back in the day but if people don't check for it then :yeshrug:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
:dahell:How am I gettin hurt when you rushed in bytchin at me lashin out like a female? I was literally clownin that Bobby Brown pic while agreein wit OP on the state of R&B and you came out of nowhere to single my post out and whine like a little bytch over nothin cause you got butthurt by what other cats said in this thread and assumed I was apart of that argument:michaeljordanlaugh: I'm just statin the fact that the genre is dead I ain't gonna lie and say its stronger than ever just cause you think speakin facts is whinin when you the only one whinin right now.

:ufdup:Yeah you in your feelins gettin emotional over your misinterpretation of my post, it ain't MY fault cause I never bought R&B albums in the 90s either but you tryna deflect by claimin I'M in my feelins after I called you out for actin like a irate bytch is the go to defense for a nikka in his feelins. Your last 2 sentences expose why you're so butthurt you're basically upset cause cats are pointin out your favorite genre ain't shyt these days so you're bytchin about them supposedly bein:flabbynsick:which is what you young dudes always say when someone don't like shyt from your generation, nah nikka R&B is whats:flabbynsick:ain't nobody checkin for the shyt anymore it ain't about the past generation not feelin it even the young kids don't fukk wit R&B these days so deal wit it and quit cryin to me.:camby:

:mjlol:

:deadmanny:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

It's a mater of taste between classic soul/funk and the new stuff that appeared post-disco but it was clearly wasn't dead

see last post

3. You know why R&B/Hip-Hop are bundled together on that chart? Because the two genres are indistinguishable from each other,

that happened to bunch all "urban" music together. R&B and HipHop is still distinguishable depending on sub style. Does this sound like HipHop to you?

how about this?

which is EXACTLY what I've been saying the whole thread. That it's not REAL R&B

it is real Contemp R&B by all definitions

Contemporary R&B, also known as simply R&B, is a music genre that combines elements of rhythm and blues, soul, funk, pop, hip hop and dance.

what it clearly isn't outside of certain styles is Soul music

or REAL Hip-Hop,

who said it was hiphop? It's contemp R&B

it's a weird mingling of the two like Drake, Rihanna, Frank Ocean, Chris Brown, etc. . . That's not real R&B

It's contemp R&B, not classic Soul music

4. 15 year old kids are not listening to Jazz, the Blues , or Mozart in large numbers. That makes them basically dead genres.

stop it...classical, jazz. blues, latin, edm have the around same amount of overall consumption from,
Overall: CDs + vinyl + downloads + streaming

They make almost ZERO dent in American popular culture

stop it...see above