8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
There's a Black Station in ATL that plays Jazz (Old and New) literally all day. And the reception sucks.

Yep, 91.9. WCLK. I listen to that station religiously. You're absolutely right about the reception. I've thought about that many times myself. Sucks how all the trash gets great reception but 91.9 can barely be heard outside the perimeter

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Todays R&B is really just melodic hiphop with the same immature outlook on subject matter and relationships.If you market the core demgraphic then making songs about the real life stuff that happens in relationships and courting women then classic R&B has no place in it.When you have grown ass men singing about strip clubs and how fat an ass should be before we fall in love with it i can understand why old R&B might sound corny to young ears not raised on grown ass music and instrumentation that holds another frequency then they're used to.Listen to an old EWF song and tell me if it touches a totally differrent part of your soul than music does now.Frequencies/soundwaves are very important,lyrics complimented the frequencies.Music in general has become a narrow margin of frequencies anyway if you ask me.For some reason youth culture has dominated every aspect of the human expercience it seems,like if you are past 35 you are no longer relevant to anyone,when in actuality those are the years in which you become who you are supposed to be instead of trying to mold yourself after whomever you idolize/worship in your teens and early adulthood,older R&B records spoke on that part of your life way more then it does now

Day, Rep, and quote.

Damn good post.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Todays R&B is really just melodic hiphop with the same immature outlook on subject matter and relationships.

Sadly true.

Listen to an old EWF song and tell me if it touches a totally differrent part of your soul than music does now.

I don't hear much soul in contemporary music. Lauryn sung with soul on "Miseducation" but there has been little else for the past 25 years.

Rapper-wise, I think Snoop has soul, Nas sometimes does, Pac and Biggie had soul.

Most rappers pre-92 had soul because they competed with traditional r&b on the radio. After '96 there has been little soul in either r&b or rap (not to be confused Hip Hop, which came out of danceable black r&b, jazz and funk).

For some reason youth culture has dominated every aspect of the human expercience it seems,like if you are past 35 you are no longer relevant to anyone,when in actuality those are the years in which you become who you are supposed to be instead of trying to mold yourself after whomever you idolize/worship in your teens and early adulthood,older R&B records spoke on that part of your life way more then it does now

The music reflects the immature, sex and money-driven society that we now live in.

When folks were forming marriages, families and communities, the music back then reflected a more mature
approach to life.

Romance was a necessary prelude for relationship building and maintenance.

A d*ck/p*ssy/booty-focused culture doesn't need the devotional lyrics of a song like Always and Forever:

"Always and forever
Each moment with you
Is just like a dream to me
That somehow came true, yeah
And I know tomorrow
Will still be the same
'Cause we got a life of love
That won't ever change"

Loken

All Star
Daps
aye this don cheadle looking mother fukker been holding it down

:blessed::whoo:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
iFightSeagullsForBread said:
Depend on the radio in 2017 to get new music :mjlol:

not realize that if R&B hadn't evolved it would've actually died off like Glam Rock, Grunge and Disco. :mjlol:

Disco never died, tho. They just stopped calling it 'disco' and it morphed into boogie/electro-funk/HI-NRg/house music back in the mid to late-80's.

Been a staple ever since.

:manny: