8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

Stack Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Actually it's the state of RnB complainers right now...

Bobby Brown doesn't make music anymore... But others do.

Again, it's you nikkas fault for not supporting the ones that do:yeshrug:
Wasn't sayin Bobby did make music just that a R&B legend lookin flabby n sick is how R&B looks right now, and most nikkas don't buy any albums even hip hop ones it is what it is.:manny:

Dude in his 50's plus the baggage and losses.

p*ssy.
:umad:He still looked both funny and sad when coupled wit that headline:yeshrug:get out your feelins fakkit.:pacspit:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Wasn't sayin Bobby did make music just that a R&B legend lookin flabby n sick is how R&B looks right now, and most nikkas don't buy any albums even hip hop ones it is what it is.:manny:

:umad:He still looked both funny and sad when coupled wit that headline:yeshrug:get out your feelins fakkit.:pacspit:
So again, if you don't buy shyt then don't complain about shyt being dead when nikkas just try to make mainstream singles for radio and concert play for the kids:yeshrug:

If you don't even listen to RnB or albums then how do you know how it looks

Stack Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
So again, if you don't buy shyt then don't complain about shyt being dead when nikkas just try to make mainstream singles for radio and concert play for the kids:yeshrug:

If you don't even listen to RnB or albums then how do you know how it looks
:mspaintcamumad:I wasn't complainin at all dikkhead you confusin me wit other cats in here I just co-signed the fact that R&B is dead and laughed at that B Brown pic ironically lookin like R&B right now.

:mjlol:I see nikkas got you all worked up in here all in your feelins cause they pointin out R&B is on life support, that hip hop infused "R&B" ain't real R&B which is why most cats ain't fukkin wit it anymore.:hubie:Real talk Ciara is partly to blame for that wit her "Crunk & B" style that she was pushin heavy.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
again, 80s had heat but it was way too glossy

80's gloss production

90s brought the grit back

Nope. The 90's were straight trash compared to the 80's. Here are some 80's songs using that very same style that you are talking about and the music was better in that decade.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I have no problem with the 80s or 90s or experimentation. I have no problem with the big producer era. The difference is, Face/LA, Jam and Lewis, Full Force, Chuckii Booker, Kyle West, Teddy Riley were still dudes that had earned their stripes performing in bands or working and growing with a diversity of music and acts. They could produce and write anything. They were like their predecessors. They had no problem transitioning into hip-hop or New Jack Swing and kept finding multi-faceted talent. The same album could have soul, r&b and funk cuts intertwined with newer sounds. And this was the mainstream, chart toppers. I feel like we have ended up with hip-hop being in charge of music. They have evolved hip-hop and have basically given "that r&b shyt" to pop and let soul linger. Who is supposed to come out of that and produce other forms of great black music in mass? Even when you have a house like Top Dawg that has the ability, background and chops I think they feel they like they have to be overly experimental and can't do things conventionally as far as releasing good mainstream sounding music. I think there is talent out there, but perhaps the attitude of the public has moved too far beyond it and those running black music are of the same mind. Everything is considered simpin or soft or someone not meanmugging is c00ning. I dunno. I feel like its a loss for black people. The diversity of music and the sheer number of quality songs and albums just shyt on today's black music. I know there's stuff underground and I make every effort to find and buy new soul and r&b as well as older artists making comebacks, but somewhere in the evolution, the singing part got pushed to the side.

what happened is that popular music taste has changed. people still like R&B but they want it to fit the modern musical climate and that means something that sounds like Trap music/DJ Mustard/Drake/ElectroR&B/Weeknd/Rihanna/Beyonce etc.. that type of stuff. The black people who do more vintage sounding R&B will not get a mainstream following but a white person doing the same style, will.

Last edited:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:mspaintcamumad:I wasn't complainin at all dikkhead you confusin me wit other cats in here I just co-signed the fact that R&B is dead and laughed at that B Brown pic ironically lookin like R&B right now.

:mjlol:I see nikkas got you all worked up in here all in your feelins cause they pointin out R&B is on life support, that hip hop infused "R&B" ain't real R&B which is why most cats ain't fukkin wit it anymore.:hubie:Real talk Ciara is partly to blame for that wit her "Crunk & B" style that she was pushin heavy.
Then why you getting p*ssyhurt if you wasn't complaining

And what do you call it if you saying shyt is dead because you don't check for it.. I call it whining

Now I'm in my feelings but you out here calling names because me telling you that its your fault that it's "dead":mjlol:

Thats like the go to defense for a nikka in his feelings:mjlol:

I do music so I check for music especially new shyt thats why I'm up in the thread, because mostly its:flabbynsick: nikkas whining about todays music trying to compare music from different generations when it has always changed.

:flabbynsick: nikkas always complained about music when they got :flabbynsick:

Stack Money

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Then why you getting p*ssyhurt if you wasn't complaining

And what do you call it if you saying shyt is dead because you don't check for it.. I call it whining

Now I'm in my feelings but you out here calling names because me telling you that its your fault that it's "dead":mjlol:

Thats like the go to defense for a nikka in his feelings:mjlol:

I do music so I check for music especially new shyt thats why I'm up in the thread, because mostly its:flabbynsick: nikkas whining about todays music trying to compare music from different generations when it has always changed.

:flabbynsick: nikkas always complained about music when they got :flabbynsick:
:dahell:How am I gettin hurt when you rushed in bytchin at me lashin out like a female? I was literally clownin that Bobby Brown pic while agreein wit OP on the state of R&B and you came out of nowhere to single my post out and whine like a little bytch over nothin cause you got butthurt by what other cats said in this thread and assumed I was apart of that argument:michaeljordanlaugh: I'm just statin the fact that the genre is dead I ain't gonna lie and say its stronger than ever just cause you think speakin facts is whinin when you the only one whinin right now.

:ufdup:Yeah you in your feelins gettin emotional over your misinterpretation of my post, it ain't MY fault cause I never bought R&B albums in the 90s either but you tryna deflect by claimin I'M in my feelins after I called you out for actin like a irate bytch is the go to defense for a nikka in his feelins. Your last 2 sentences expose why you're so butthurt you're basically upset cause cats are pointin out your favorite genre ain't shyt these days so you're bytchin about them supposedly bein:flabbynsick:which is what you young dudes always say when someone don't like shyt from your generation, nah nikka R&B is whats:flabbynsick:ain't nobody checkin for the shyt anymore it ain't about the past generation not feelin it even the young kids don't fukk wit R&B these days so deal wit it and quit cryin to me.:camby:

Last edited:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
what happened is that popular music taste has changed. people still like R&B but they want it to fit the modern musical climate and that means something that sounds like Trap music/DJ Mustard/Drake/ElectroR&B/Weeknd/Rihanna/Beyonce etc.. that type of stuff. The black people who do more vintage sounding R&B will not get a mainstream following but a white person doing the same style, will.
And white people will be the ones eating up the vintage style

And Drake, Rhianna, Beyonce, etc. are still RnB but are more pop stars now.

Just like Michael was a popstar. There are still modern RnB stars out there

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
:dahell:How am I gettin hurt when you rushed in bytchin at me lashin out like a female? I was literally clownin that Bobby Brown pic while agreein wit OP on the state of R&B and you came out of nowhere to single my post out and whine like a little bytch over nothin cause you got butthurt by what other cats said in this thread and assumed I was apart of that argument:michaeljordanlaugh: I'm just statin the fact that the genre is dead I ain't gonna lie and say its stronger than ever just cause you think speakin facts is whinin when you the only one whinin right now.

:ufdup:Yeah you in your feelins gettin emotional over your misinterpretation of my post, it ain't MY fault cause I never bought R&B albums in the 90s either but you tryna deflect by claimin I'M in my feelins after I called you out for actin like a irate bytch is the go to defense for a nikka in his feelins. Your last 2 sentences expose why you're so butthurt you're basically upset cause cats are pointin out your favorite genre ain't shyt these days so you're bytchin about them supposedly bein:flabbynsick:which is what you young dudes always say when someone don't like shyt from your generation, nah nikka R&B is whats:flabbynsick:ain't nobody checkin for the shyt anymore it ain't about the past generation not feelin it even the young kids don't fukk wit R&B these days so deal wit it and quit cryin to me.:camby:
I'm going to skim through this...

I didn't come lashing at you, you said something yesterday I think and I just saw it today. Been in this thread since it started. I disagreed with your opinion

There is no emotion from me.. My tone hasn't changed:mjlol:.. Yours did though:umad:

You was clowning Bobby Brown and RnB and I was clowning people complaining and being:flabbynsick:

And if you never supported RnB.. So how can you be an expert on what it is or isn't now:wtf:

Daps
Chris Brown is still an excellent singer and Michael was known for being a total package, not the best singer in the world.

200w.gif

Mike was a great singer. If he wasn't the best he was at least one of the best at some point.

Chris was never a good singer let along great singer. Decent singer at best and vocally was probably the weakest vocally of his class when he came out(Mario, neyo, songz, pleasure p, llyold, etc)

Nowadays he's trash as a singer, musically he's degressed, & struggling to make hits before the age of 30.

With the path he's going on he'll be Bobby brown status.:flabbynsick:

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Now nikkas dissing 90s r&b music :hhh:

shyt is generational. You can find quotes of singer/musicians from the 60/70s soul scene dissing 80's r&B. Chuck D on 80's R&B

RBMA

You speak about arrangements and production. What motivated you and Hank and Public Enemy to make the sounds you made, which were very distinct and pretty much unprecedented?

Chuck D

We didn’t make the sounds, we wanted to be able to make a new arrangement of the sounds. Because we had a knowledge of the records, we had a respect for the records and the different genres, our thing was trying to make it all work. We didn’t know where r&b was in the mid-‘80s. We thought the worst thing that ever happened to it was the use of synthesizers, or rather when synthesizers started to use the musician. Stevie Wonder would pimp the hell out of a synthesizer, but synthesizers and drummachines started to use the producer. So you would have this corny ass(makes beat with mouth) that we wanted to rebel against. Our whole goal was, “We’re going to destroy the music business concept of music with music.” We wanted to eradicate every bit of smooth r&b that was made off the face of the earth; also English pop. Most music made from 1979 to 1986, except for rap records and a few organic records, most music was terrible, just wack. Our goal was to wipe that shyt off the face of the musical map, that was Public Enemy’s goal as sonic assassins.

Red Bull Music Academy