8 Reasons Why R&B Has Died In The Black Community

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Yeah that is that Kirk Franklin shyt. That is terrible and it is making two separate genres of music suffer.
When I found out about a lot of that older gospel shyt that they let fly, I lost any sacred thoughts or appreciation for it to be honest, especially that piece of shyt James Clevland and his music circle and those that sprouted from his roots (kirk franklin being apart of it).

That said on a purely secular level, its the only place to go if you want to hear R&B sadly enough. I mean Dave Holister is gospel know, Mary Mary used to be RB back up singers for HOlister, Fred Hammond is a R&B singer from the jump, I think Charlie Wilson is doing gospel now, dude from Silk doing gospel. That is where the old talent is.

Daps
If you want to find good music (in any genre), you'll have to do it yourselves.

Mainstream R&B may have died but there's plenty of good R&B artists if you put in the energy to find it :manny:

Joe, r Kelly, tank, solange, Bruno mars, tinashe, yuna, usher dropped heat.:ehh:

So much r&b music came out last year it was unreal.:whew:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I miss the inspirational songs more than any group of songs. The raunchy music was always there, but inspirational stuff is what has disappeared. R. Kelly had "I can fly" in the 90's, but otherwise I don't hear many inspirational songs. Hardcore rap music has these crazy ass kids thinking that being inspired is weak. What is really crazy is that even inspirational rappers have disappeared. Kool Moe Dee was really good, funny and inspirational.

Bottom line is, this rut of uninspired artists is unnatural.

Giselle

Bushed
Daps
Op got this from lsa :skip:

Can't even hide it either. It was made on lsa days ago. You can't even lie and say you posted it as a popular atricle bc the article is all the way from 2015. It's funny how y'all bash lsa, but are always on there.

I would like to read the opinions about it from males though, bbl

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Exactly. nikkaz made an entire song that topped the charts talkin about gettin a hard on when freakin on a bytch on the dance floor :dead:
I heard this song a lot as a kid, and I had NO idea that's what they were talking about. And that's the whole point people are making.

It's not that the R&B singers of yesterday didn't talk about sex a lot. It's that it wasn't explicitly in-your-face. Kids could listen to it and the real meaning of the song would go over their heads. Nowadays, kids know exactly these singers are talking about fukking because they straight up say it. No subtlety. No cleverness. Just profanity.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bottom line is, this rut of uninspired artists is unnatural.

Historically it is unnatural, because historically Black people have been the heart and soul of music in the USA. Black people moved from field songs to Gospel Music, to Blues, to Country Music, to Ragtime, to Jazz, to Rock and Roll, to R&B, to Funk, to Disco, to House Music, to Rap. Hell I even missed some genres, but the thing is that we do have some uninspired and I will add lazy artists.

Last edited:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Historically it is unnatural, because historically have heart and soul of music in the USA. Black people moved from field songs to Gospel Music, to Blues, to Country Music, to Ragtime, to Jazz, to Rock and Roll, to R&B, to Funk, to Disco, to House Music, to Rap. Hell I even missed some genres, but the thing is that we do have some uninspired and I will add lazy artistz.

It's like no one wants to break ground anymorr. Just copy the next man and get short term money.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
I heard this song a lot as a kid, and I had NO idea that's what they were talking about. And that's the whole point people are making.

It's not that the R&B singers of yesterday didn't talk about sex a lot. It's that it wasn't explicitly in-your-face. Kids could listen to it and the real meaning of the song would go over their heads. Nowadays, kids know exactly these singers are talking about fukking because they straight up say it. No subtlety. No cleverness. Just profanity.

Yeah ok, "subtle" :mjlol:

@Nigmund Freud you were saying :mjlol:

And these songs aren't explicit? :francis:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's like no one wants to break ground anymorr. Just copy the next man and get short term money.

Other than musicians the other problem might be a lack of song writers. Every nikka wants to sing, but what the Hell happened to the great songwriters? Some of the best R&B singers were actually song writers. Ashford & Simpson, Stevie Wonder, Curtis Mayfield, Prince, McFadden and Whitehead, etc. Hell Tupac and even Dolly Parton were really good songwriters. Don't laugh Dolly Parton wrote Whitney Houston's biggest hit. What the Hell happened to all of the clever lyrics and thought proving wording?