Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Joe, r Kelly, tank, solange, Bruno mars, tinashe, yuna, usher dropped heat.:ehh:

So much r&b music came out last year it was unreal.:whew:
Exactly

nikkas ain't trying to look for new shyt. They just wanna turn on a mainstream radio and hear the similarities of classic slow jams they remember from 20 years ago

But that was 20 years ago, get over it. RnB has evolved like it was always going to.. Dude just listed all the black music that was created by us then evolved either into something new or an exstension of the old.

People still out here singing love songs and slow jams but thats not whats mainstream.. At least not without a rapper on it. Accept it, the trend started in the 90's. But people are still making dope albums that yall not checking for then you say RnB is dead just like nikkas was saying hip hop was dead 10 years ago

People don't seem to like change much I've noticed, despite it being an inevitability in almost everything in life

Daps
Exactly

nikkas ain't trying to look for new shyt. They just wanna turn on a mainstream radio and hear the similarities of classic slow jams they remember from 20 years ago

But that was 20 years ago, get over it. RnB has evolved like it was always going to.. Dude just listed all the black music that was created by us then evolved either into something new or an exstension of the old.

People still out here singing love songs and slow jams but thats not whats mainstream.. At least not without a rapper on it. Accept it, the trend started in the 90's. But people are still making dope albums that yall not checking for then you say RnB is dead just like nikkas was saying hip hop was dead 10 years ago

People don't seem to like change much I've noticed, despite it being an inevitability in almost everything in life

Yep. If it's one thing that I found out is that people that usually talk about there being no good music is either :flabbynsick: when it comes to the times or flat out lazy and would rather keep their false narrative.

The funny thing about it is some of the 90s artists that's responsible for that good ole 90s r&b music is still making music.

Two things that'll never change. Talent will never go extinct and good music never die no matter what era we're in.

People just depraving themselves.:yeshrug:

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Yep. If it's one thing that I found out is that people that usually talk about there being no good music is either :flabbynsick: when it comes to the times or flat out lazy and would rather keep their false narrative.

The funny thing about it is some of the 90s artists that's responsible for that good ole 90s r&b music is still making music.

Two things that'll never change. Talent will never go extinct and good music never die no matter what era we're in.

People just depraving themselves.:yeshrug:

EXACTLY :mindblown:

Some of these older talented artists STILL in the studio trying to put out shyt. R.Kelly, Usher, Tyrese, Joe, Maxwell, etc., and thats just off the top of my head.

Thats not to mention some of the new artists out there. I normally hear about new RnB artists through word of mouth by my friends. There are tons of talented people waiting to be discovered. It's how I found J.Holiday, Trey Songz, The Weekend, Bryson Tiller, Frank Ocean, etc., and all of them had classic first albums to me despite not being actually new anymore. But when they were first dropping and not mainstream, I was bumping they shyt because I searched for it or was told to get on it before the blew up

But I kept my ear out for new shyt, took peoples opinions I trusted, and didn't discriminate against a different sound.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Depend on the radio in 2017 to get new music :mjlol:

not realize that if R&B hadn't evolved it would've actually died off like Glam Rock, Grunge and Disco. :mjlol:

Dude, those are SUBGENRES, not genres.

All of those were fads that lasted 5 years at most. R&B was the dominant form of Black music for about 40 years.

Yeah ok, "subtle" :mjlol:

@Nigmund Freud you were saying :mjlol:

That's not the old-school R&B the article is talking about.

They're talking about the 50s-mid '80s variety that people like Justin Timberlake, Adele, Amy Winehouse, and Bruno Mars got rich from doing

The Aretha, Isleys, Stevie, Marvin, Earth, Wind, & Fire stuff that was the predominant form of Black music for about 40 years.

Stuff like R. Kelly & Jodeci & Mary J. Blige wasn't seen as pure R&B at the time. It was seen as a Rap/R&B hybrid, which is why Mary J. is called the Queen of HIP-HOP soul.

Real R&B was on it's way out when that was on the radio
Terrible, click-bait, fear mongering article. :scust:Authors chatting shyt. Beyonce, Drake, Frank Ocean, Breezy, Usher, Weeknd, Bryson Tiller, Miguel, Jeremih, Anderson. Paak move units and are highly influential.

LMAO, literally like NONE of those people are pure R&B.

That shyt is pop, electronica, Hip-Hop, and all kinds of other shyt.

Now, if you wanted to talk about somebody like Jill Scott or Erykah Badu or whoever, then I might agree with you, even D'Angelo is a lot closer to actual R&B than any of the pop/electronica shyt you posted

Are you saying that R Kelly, Jodeci, Intro or any other 90s RnB group or artist didn't use vulgarity? :lupe:

They're not real R&B. They were the first wave of Hip-Hop soul

Rap was big in 90s and 80's
Rakim
Big daddy cain
LL cool j
Salt in pepper
Nas
Biggie
Tupac
Heavy D
Jay-Z

That's not a good excuse

But the poeple who listened to that music hadn't grown up on Hip-Hop, they grew up on R&B.

Hip-Hop just made it to record form in 1979, if you were 20 in 1988 like say a Rakim or somebody, then Hip-Hop didn't even exist for most of your lifetime at that point. It was less than a decade, so that means you were raised on James Brown, The Isley Brothers, Stevie Wonder, and stuff like that

Always been a place for raunchy music in black music.
Rock and blues was considered low class black music by blacks for a time.
So its not much a change, just in genre.

That's true, but that's not what mainstream R&B was. That was shyt for the back water "hoochie coochie" type blues audiences.

MoTown, Stax, The Isley Brothers, etc. . .weren't that

THIS is pure R&B

You wildin` for this one.:camby:

Both of them are very talented.

John Legend is the corniest "New Black" whitewashed soul singer there is. Yeah, he's talented, but he's a corny type dude, perfect for the Ellen Degeneres type audience.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Dude, those are SUBGENRES, not genres.

All of those were fads that lasted 5 years at most. R&B was the dominant form of Black music for about 40 years.

That's not the old-school R&B the article is talking about.

They're talking about the 50s-mid '80s variety that people like Justin Timberlake, Adele, Amy Winehouse, and Bruno Mars got rich from doing

The Aretha, Isleys, Stevie, Marvin, Earth, Wind, & Fire stuff that was the predominant form of Black music for about 40 years.

Stuff like R. Kelly & Jodeci & Mary J. Blige wasn't seen as pure R&B at the time. It was seen as a Rap/R&B hybrid, which is why Mary J. is called the Queen of HIP-HOP soul.

Real R&B was on it's way out when that was on the radio

LMAO, literally like NONE of those people are pure R&B.

They're not real R&B. They were the first wave of Hip-Hop soul

If you don't get your goal post moving ass up outta here fam :mjlol:

You're tryna go back and retroactively change the rules 20 years later. :mjlol:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
The biggest problems with R&B are

1. The weakened Black church took the soul out of Black people. Sam Cooke, Aretha, Whitney, The Temptations, Isley Brothers, Stevie Wonder, etc. . .all came from the Black church. Virtually all of the best Black music (other than golden age Hip-Hop) has it's orgins in the Black church
  2. Nobody plays instruments anymore, thanks to Hip-Hop convincing everybody they didn't need them. Yes, in Hip-HOp, DJ Premier or RZA or Kanye West can get away with not playing an instrument proficiently and it's great, golden age HIp-Hop is my favorite genre of music, but in R&B, there's a certain musicality that is required to do it right and most younger Black people don't have that.
  3. There are no bands anymore. Nothing is more powerful than having 5 or 6 technically proficient musicians in a room bouncing off of each other to come up with all crazy type shyt, which is why you see Motown, Stax, Earth, Wind & Fire, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Isley Brothers all had a TON of members. Each one of those members had a purpose and contributed a bassline, a drum beat, a lyric, a piano riff, etc. . to make a record happen.
  4. Men & women are different than we used to be. Feminism changed women especially Black women, who often started to see chivarly as lame, while Black men started to idolize pimps and gangstas in our neighborhoods, leading to an all out assault on the Black family structure. Crack killed off what was left of it in the mid '80s because that was the first time in history we started to see Black women, who were the cornerstone of our community, even when Black men weren't shyt, start to lose their dignity thanks to this drug that fukked everything up.
  5. Hip-Hop has killed every form of Black music basically. It's my favorite music at it's best, but it just has come to dominate everything about Black people in Amerikkka and that's not a good thing. R&B singers try to hard now to be like rappers. Chris Brown would've never been what he is today 30 years ago. I mean, the DeBarges were ghetto as fukk, but on stage they sang and looked like angels.
  6. The record industry is still racist as fukk. We deal with this in Hip-Hop with Eminem & now with McLemore, where the music industry lets White people be more complex and have more leeway, while forcing Black people in to cookie cutter boxes. Adel, Timberlake, Robin Thick, and all these people are doing the type of Black music that we did for 50 fukking years, while every 18 year old Black kid is being forced into Hip-Hop insome way

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
If you don't get your goal post moving ass up outta here fam :mjlol:

You're tryna go back and retroactively change the rules 20 years later. :mjlol:

nikka, what are you fukking 12?

Literally NOBODY ever considered those people you're talking about on the same level as Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklin and people like that.

Just admit you're like 19 and STFU.

I was actually around back then and listened to those artists when they came out and actually do enjoy them, and will listen to R. Kelly until I die, even though White folks say I shouldn't, but that doesn't mean that he's real R&B. Dude was the harbinger of Hip-Hop soul along with Mary J. and Jodeci.

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
nikka, what are you fukking 12?

Literally NOBODY ever considered those people you're talking about on the same level as Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Aretha Franklin and people like that.

Just admit you're like 19 and STFU.

I was actually around back then and listened to those artists when they came out and actually do enjoy them, and will listen to R. Kelly until I die, even though White folks say I shouldn't, but that doesn't mean that he's real R&B. Dude was the harbinger of Hip-Hop soul along with Mary J. and Jodeci.

Frankie Ocean is a better song writer (and actually plays an instrument) than majority of 90's artists, hate to break it to you gramps.

stay mad tho. "He's real R&B:mjcry:" :bryan::bryan::bryan:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People just need to get out and look for shyt or actually listen to these RnB stations. Usher just dropped a hit, Maxwell just dropped a dope album, Chris Brown is dropping an album, Tyrese dropped something earlier last year, Jeremih still does it, August Alsina still dropping shyt, etc.. And thats off the top of my head.

People just mad that RnB is evolving just like it was supposed to do over a 20 year span and but one thing that will never change is black people that can sing.

Ill tell you what did disappear was black boy bands

Evolving is yalls favorite word,no matter how horrible shyt gets....is the production evolving?is the singing evolving,is the music evolving?is anything evolving for the better?if not stop using the word evolve simply to mean changing,instead of just saying its going to hell in a hand basket:mjcry: